BRB new season at the Hippodrome

I have just received my supporters priority booking form for 2016/17. I am not sure if the information is embargoed but I think it is pretty much general knowledge that the season will open with Bintley's new production of The Tempest and that both Nutcracker and Cinderella are being given.

There really isn't that much else but my main source of disappointment is that there is only one triple bill and not a hugely inspiring one at that. I know that this is a sign of stringent finances and even I must accept that mixed bills seem to be obstanately uncommercial (unless they include Carmina Burana for some reason) but there is no Ashton, Balanchine or Macmillan and I am very sorry about that.

No doubt the official announcement will be made very shortly.

• Like 1

I'm really disappointed with this season, 4 full length ballets of which the only one I'm really interested in is The Tempest and one rather uninspiring triple bill with, I assume, one new ballet as it's one I've never heard of. There is no brochure, just a letter and booking form. Booking dates are:

12 April - Full season renewals

26 April - Other subscribers renewals

9 May - New subscriptions

19 May - Single tickets

• Like 1

In the last 10 years there have mostly been either 2 or 3 mixed bills at Birmingham Hippodrome a season, but this is not the first time in that period that it has gone down to one. We must hope that it goes in cycles and future seasons will have more. However it should be remembered that although BRB gained grant money for extra touring around England they have lost grant money for performing in Birmingham. 

I received my brochure last night and I've managed to book. Have gone through the torture of their phone system, which includes having to listen to several minutes of Mary Poppins (gosh how annoying are those songs?) I booked. I then received an email, to say booking are open and the email says I could have done it all online.

I agree Trog.  I rushed my booklet into the post yesterday afternoon.  Admittedly I am not that bothered but I wanted to preserve my booking rights just in case the season after next is a bit more interesting.  I found the leaflet less than easy to follow and had to read it at least twice to extract the information I needed.  Today, like you, I got the e-mail saying my tickets were reserved and all I had to do was to log in to my account (again, easier said than done) and I could have booked and paid for the over the internet.

This is not the first time I have been left with the clear impression that the otherwise normally excellent Hippodrome Box Office and the less than impressive BRB publicity department just don't seem to communicate.

• Like 1

As an update I had a phone call from the Hippodrome around 7.00 last night. They confirmed that I had been allocated my current subscription seat on the aisle of the side block in the stalls. They rang me to say that this was not a top price ticket and I was due a refund.

I am somewhat amused that I have what I consider to be one of the very best seats in the entire theatre at a cheaper rate than one in the middle in the stalls where you take pot luck over how much of the stage you can actually see.

So, I do not view the new season with any great anticipation but I am hanging in there in the hope of a more interesting season after next.

I am a bit peeved that having finally got hubby to the ballet and him saying he'd go again the company is not presenting anything I would force him to sit through. Heigh Ho!