Words i thought I'd never hear....

Pups_mum

Our DS (now almost 12) started at the age of 3, because his sister was doing ballet (therefore he wanted to do it too). We never saw an issue in it and as it turned out, whilst he was also very good at football and in a special team, at the age of 7 he announced that all he wants to do is ballet from now on (this was just before the summer holiday started). When he was 8, he asked when he can go to a vocational ballet school, and when he was 9, he went to the Berlin State Ballet School as a boarder and has loved it ever since, as well as being good at it too (also academically). Even though it was a huge change for us, we know it was the right thing to do.

Edited by Mariska
  • Like 5

I see that Northern Ballet are performing Beauty and the Beast this winter.

I still remember going to see this with my son when he was about 5.  It was the most exciting thing he had ever seen, all he could talk about all winter was the Beast, how athletic he was, how high he jumped.  

Music and costumes also made a huge impact on me, I can picture it now 13 years later.

If any of you have boys who have a musical soul, do try and see it.

• Like 4

Hi cotes du rhone ......your story regarding your children is very interesting - what a talented family !!

May I ask which year your DS2 is entering Elmhurst at ? It's just that my DS recently had a 'no' at finals for Elmhurst yr7. When he hears of success stories for boys being accepted at a later age - it spurs him on that its worth trying again :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 10 year old rugby playing (& built for it too :) ) son with a sister at vocational school. He started ballet a couple of years ago . I think as he was often taken along to drop off/pick her up from class he was exposed to seeing dancers both male & female & one day realised a school friend was at a class before hers. Well anything that boy did my son was keen to give a go to as well! He joined in & soon took up jazz too my proudest dance Mum moment was him getting the award for most improved dancer in the very high standard jazz class he does with the teacher saying no works harder than him in class! Since starting ballet & never being selected to do the exams he has seen all the other boys drop out but has carried on & am pleased he was finally selected to do Grade 2 RAD & got a merit! I think he loves ballet more than he will let on (certainly to Dad!) but I often find him doing leaps/jumps & pirouettes when he thinks no one is looking. Am pleased that he does not let any mean comments (you know - all the usual ones about boys doing ballet...yawn) get in his way & he says that ballet helps with his rugby with balance & co-ordination. Have wondered whether he ought to try for Associate schemes (but think DH would draw the line there) & I think as he didn't do beginner classes he missed the whole 'good toes. naughty toes' bit so do not think it has quite connected with him how to point his toes!! Hoping for a 'penny drop' moment for him there but in the meantime I know he loves class & enjoys the attention from the teacher as the only boy.....as well as spending time with girls he rather likes too...... :wub: !!!

Good luck with your son...hope he too can enjoy a balanced mix of activities!!

• Like 9

Well...I spoke too soon.....that very day I posted this son said he hates being the only boy in the class & not sure he wants to go any more!!!

He did get an end of season 'Most Improved player' award for his rugby so maybe it is just the natural order coming out! I will be a little sad if he does give up ballet but think he will at least keep on with the jazz as there are a few boys including a good friend of his who do this & it is a pretty cool class!

• Like 2

Well...I spoke too soon.....that very day I posted this son said he hates being the only boy in the class & not sure he wants to go any more!!!

He did get an end of season 'Most Improved player' award for his rugby so maybe it is just the natural order coming out! I will be a little sad if he does give up ballet but think he will at least keep on with the jazz as there are a few boys including a good friend of his who do this & it is a pretty cool class!

If you are within travelling distance of Tring, then maybe look at their monthly Kick Start Programme for boys?

• Like 1