Benois De La Danse Nominees 2016

The nominees of the 2016 (from calendar year performances 2015) Benoit De La dans prize have been announced:

http://benois.theatre.ru/english/massmedia/news/

CHOREOGRAPHERS

MAURO BIGONZETTI – Cinderella, Sergey Prokofiev, La Scala Ballet 
ALEXANDER EKMAN – A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Mikael Karlsson. Royal Swedish Ballet.
JOHAN INGER – Carmen, George Bizet/RodionSchedrine, Compañia Nacional de Danza; One on One, Franz Schubert, Netherland Dance Theatre.
BENJAMIN MILLEPIED – Clear, Loud, Bright, Forward, Nico Muhli, Paris Opera Ballet.
JUSTIN PECK –‘Rōdē,ō: Four Dance Episodes, Aaron Copeland, New York City Ballet.
MAXIM PETROV –Divertissement of the King, Jean-Philippe Rameau, Mariinsky Ballet.
YURI POSSOKHOV – Hero of Our Time, Ilya Demutsky, Bolshoi Ballet.
ZHANG YUNFENG – Emperor Yu Li,Eleni Karaindrou,Wei Dou,Baoshuo Tan,Suola Liu, Beijing Dance Academy.

BALLERINAS
ALICIA AMATRIAIN – Blanche DuBois, AStreetcar named Desir, S. Prokofiev, A. Schnittke/J. Neumeier; The Devil, The Soldier’s Tale, I. Stravinsky/D. Volpi, Stuttgart State Ballet.
REBECCA BIANCHI – Title role, Giselle, A. Adam/P. Rouanne, Rome Opera Ballet.
SARA MEARNS – Leading part, ‘Rōdē,ō: Four Dance Episodes, Aaron Copeland, New York City Ballet.
HANNAH O’NEILL – Title role, Paquita, E. Deldevez, L. Minkus/P. Lacotte, Paris Opera Ballet.
OKSANA SKORIK – Title role, Sylvia, L. Delibes/F. Ashton, Mariinsky Ballet.
GINA TSE – Odette-Odile, Swan Lake, P. Tchaikovsky/M. Ek, Royal Swedish Ballet.

DANCERS
JOSUA HOFFALT – Prince, Swan Lake,P. Tchaikovsky/R. Nureev’s version; Theme and Variations,P. Tchaikovsky/G. Balanchine; Lucien d’Herville,Paquita,E. Deldevez, L. Minkus/P. Lacotte, Paris Opera Ballet
KIM KIMIN – Solor, La Bayadère,L. Minkus/R. Nureev’s version. Paris Opera Ballet.
HUGO MARCHAND – Solor, La Bayadère,L. Minkus/R. Nureev’s version, Paris Opera Ballet.
AMAR RAMAZAR – ‘Rōdē,ō: Four Dance Episodes, Aaron Copeland, New York City Ballet.
ALESSANDRO RIGA –Frédéri, L’Arlesienne, G. Biset/R. Petit, Festival dei Due Mondi, Spoleto.
DMITRY ZAGREBIN –Basil, Don Quixote, L. Minkus/R. Nureev’s version, Royal Swedish Ballet.

SCENOGRAPHERS
JEAN-MARC PUISSANT –Concerto Concordia,set and costumes,F. Poulenc/Ch. Wheeldon, Dutch National Ballet; Other Stories, costumes for W. Whelan/E. Watson’s recital at Linbury Studio, Royal Opera House, London.
REN DONGSHENG – Emperor Yu Li, set and costumes, Eleni Karaindrou,Wei Dou,Baoshuo Tan,Suola Liu/Zhang Yunfeng, Beijing Dance Academy.

List of the Jury Benois de la Danse-2016

YURI GRIGOROVICH — President

MARIE=AGNES GILLOT – Etoile of the Paris Opera Ballet

JOSE CARLOS MARTINEZ GARCIA – Artistic Director of Compania Nacional de Danza (Spain)

JOHANNES ŐHMAN – Artistic Director of Royal Swedish Ballet

XIAO SUHUA – Professor, Chair of Choreography Department at Beijing Dance Academy

ELISABETTA TERABUST – Star of Italian ballet

YURI FATEEV – Acting Director of Mariinsky Ballet

LINDA SHELTON – Director of Joyce Theater (New York)

Does the jury pick the nominees? I would have imagined only the prizes.

ETA: it definitely looks like it given that it's almost a 1:1 relationship, still surprising.

Edited by A frog

Does the jury pick the nominees? I would have imagined only the prizes.

ETA: it definitely looks like it given that it's almost a 1:1 relationship, still surprising.

I found an article on dansesaveclaplume that states that each member of the jury chooses their own nominees, and that these nominations need to relate to a debut in a role http://www.dansesaveclaplume.com/en-coulisse/43486-les-benois-de-la-danse-2016-les-infos/

With the list above, there are 8 jury members, 8 nominees for choreography, 6 for female/ male dancers each and 2 for scenography. So possibly some dancers/ scenographers have been nominated more than once (the names that state e.g., a dancer for more than one ballet)? I don't know how the voting system works though.

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone will fess up to nominating Skorik - and in Sylvia too (reaches for smelling salts), all the stranger as Fateyev's protégée, Tereshkina, was said to be sensational in that role.

I wonder if anyone will fess up to nominating Skorik - and in Sylvia too (reaches for smelling salts), all the stranger as Fateyev's protégée, Tereshkina, was said to be sensational in that role.

That’s correct, Tereshkina was by far the best Sylvia. Fateev’s “Acting Director” position is expiring very soon, so this is his last attempt before he is gone to win something meaningful for his protégée.

• 1 month later...

Two winners were also mentioned in today's news links, here the full list. Congratulations to all the winners.

Best Choreographer – Yuri Possokhov (Bolshoi Ballet) and Johan Inger (Netherlands Dance Theatre)

Best Ballerina – Alicia Amatriain (Stuttgart Ballet) and Hannah O’Neill (Paris Opera Ballet)

Best Dancer- Kim Kimin (Mariinsky Ballet; for his role of Solor with POB)

Best Scenographer – Ren Dongsheng (Beijing Dance Academy)

Special joint Russian-Italian Benois-Moscow-Massine-Positano Prize - Ekaterina Krysanova (Bolshoi Theatre)

Special prize “For Great Partnering Artistry” - Oleksandr Ryabko (Hamburg Ballet)

2 prizes that had already been announced were also awarded yesterday

Edward Watson (I think this will have been the Benois-Moscow-Massine-Positano prize which he received some months ago?)

John Neumeier (for Lifetime Achievement)

http://benois.theatre.ru/english/massmedia/news/