Gosh, what a fascinating Insight Evening.  It was so interesting listening to what Liam had to say, both as he was taking the dancers through rehearsal and when talking about the design and the music.  I must say it looks really good from what I've seen and I'm very much looking forward to it.  I am hoping that Liam, given a full evening, will now have the time to create characters with depth, whose relationships are clear, and who are covered by a good narrative arc.  The fact that it is based on a classic book will help, but this is looking very promising from a choreographic, musical, dramatic and design point of view.

Seeing Laura Morera dance in the Insight, I am wondering whether it is too much to hope that she will dance Giselle on the final night on the 15th....

• Like 8

Really enjoyed this evening. We are very privileged to see Liam working on such a challenging project. Laura looks really good, and Kirstins presentation was so effortless. Music sounds good and the talk on set design was really interesting. I am so looking forward to the dress rehearsal and a performance. I do hope I see two of the three casts. Two special nights, Giselle last night and Insight tonight.

• Like 5

Just watched the video now. Loved the PDD for Morera/ Bonelli and Hirano's solo, the latter with marvellous acting by Scarlett when he demonstrates the discovery of the book and its contents. Beautiful costumes, and also liked the music. Really looking forward to the opening night on 4 May. 

• Like 2

I've just seen some excerpts and it's looking very good indeed, after Carmen and Strapless the RB really need a success and I think this could be it. Like the music too, was worried I wouldn't after Viscera.

I often notice Liam Scarlett when I watch RB DVD's!

• Like 1

How dies it compare to the RB's last Frankenstein?

Well, as I've not seen the last one (didn't know there was one, to be honest) and like almost everyone else have seen about 8-12mins of rehearsal of a couple of snippets from Liam's new version, pretty hard to compare

Well, as I've not seen the last one (didn't know there was one, to be honest) and like almost everyone else have seen about 8-12mins of rehearsal of a couple of snippets from Liam's new version, pretty hard to compare

As you say Dave, how can one compare.

Just to mention, the existing RB Frankenstein was a one-acter by Wayne Eagling.  I don't know much about it (it was premiered on my tenth birthday) but, from what I've read, it wasn't very well received (and only played 4 performances according to the ROH performance database).

Best thing about the older Frankenstein was the orchestra.  At one point it rose from the depths to a point above the stage, playing all the while.  I heard at the time that the musicians loved it.  Don't know if that was true for all of them, but still it was a wonderful effect.

• Like 3

..... it wasn't very well received (and only played 4 performances according to the ROH performance database).

Not well received!?  The curtain calls went on for nearly half an hour, it had the most enthusiastic response I've ever seen at a premiere,  True the critics weren't keen, in fact John Tooley, the ROH Administrator jokingly said of it that if it was a failure he wanted more failures of that type at the RB.  Statistics seem odd (I don't trust the database), pretty certain it had a revival.  Eagling's follow up work though was a disaster due to Dowell's on stage injury, that was the one I remember having a short run before disappearing.

• Like 3

Yes, the previous Frankenstein was an absolute hoot. I loved it and I've never heard such a roar of appreciation as happened as the curtain came down on the first night. But I'm really looking forward to the new one, which by the sound of it might be a slightly more serious treatment of the source material.

• Like 1

Best thing about the older Frankenstein was the orchestra.  At one point it rose from the depths to a point above the stage, playing all the while.  I heard at the time that the musicians loved it.  Don't know if that was true for all of them, but still it was a wonderful effect.

Sounds like a Gene Wilder/Peter Boyle 'Putting on the Ritz' moment  :-)

• Like 1

Not well received!?  The curtain calls went on for nearly half an hour, it had the most enthusiastic response I've ever seen at a premiere,  True the critics weren't keen, in fact John Tooley, the ROH Administrator jokingly said of it that if it was a failure he wanted more failures of that type at the RB.  Statistics seem odd (I don't trust the database), pretty certain it had a revival.  Eagling's follow up work though was a disaster due to Dowell's on stage injury, that was the one I remember having a short run before disappearing.

I think I saw an extract on Blue Peter, or somewhere? And I have a memory of a production photograph in one of those two-month booking brochures the ROH used to put out, so I guess that unless my memory is playing tricks - which is always possible - it was certainly scheduled for a repeat run.

• Like 1

Just out of interest for comparison purposes, here are some details of the National Theatre's 2011 production of Frankenstein directed by Danny Boyle with Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller. It's one of their most popular encore productions, which they claim has been seen by half a million people. Lots of details about the production here including photos and interviews. You might find it popping up somewhere in cinemas this year. 

http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/16546-frankenstein

Just out of interest for comparison purposes, here are some details of the National Theatre's 2011 production of Frankenstein directed by Danny Boyle with Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller. It's one of their most popular encore productions, which they claim has been seen by half a million people. Lots of details about the production here including photos and interviews. You might find it popping up somewhere in cinemas this year. 

http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/16546-Frankenstein

Can't recall if it's already been mentioned in this thread, but Liam Scarlett said at the insight that he deliberately avoided seeing the NT production.

• 2 weeks later...

Check your email inboxes! I have just received an email advertising the live screening of the 18th May "Frankenstein" with a link to a free digital programme download using the code "FREEFRANK":

http://www.roh.org.uk/publications/frankenstein-digital-programme?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2016_Apr_cinema_frankenstein&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=27812

Remember to untick the suggested donation box unless you want to give the default £3.

Edited by Grand Tier Left