JA Auditions

swanprincess

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bath results are out now. I've heard of 3 nos, 1 SWL. My DD has a yes, so we now have a decision to make between JAs and Elmhurst - it's not going to be easy!!

Congratulations!!!

We are in this position too, some suggestions to do both but I think it will be too much. 

Advice from ballet teachers was to go with RBS but that is what DD wanted to do anyway.  We both loved Elmhurst and if it had been a no from RBS DD would still have been happy.

Well done once again xx

I had to email some more photos as stupidly did socks not bare feet in the first lot so if the photos are very important I guess that's a bit of a major negative point for us! Never mind. We are waiting for London news.....

Starlight69 , alfred71. I wouldn't worry about the photos, I took my dd's and they were naff if I'm honest and it was hard to pick which to send ???? So I too was worried afterwards when I heard people had them done professionally. However my DD got a place last year. I think perhaps they're there to remind the judges of each dancer afterwards, or to prepare the judges as to which girls may have the physique they're looking for before the audition. But at the end of the day it's the audition that will count xxx

• Like 1

Lucky girl :)

Thank you. She is very lucky, I hope she will always remember that!

Tired dance mummy, we feel the same. I don't want to burn DD out so we will choose one carefully over the next couple of days.

On the up side, it sounds like there may be a couple of children on SWL that may have a space come up soon.

Good luck to all still waiting. I know of a beautiful dancer who got an initial no in yr4 for JAs, then got in at yr5 and is now doing very well at White lodge! So to echo what everyone has said, is not always a no, more like a not yet!

• Like 2

Congratulations to all the "Yeses" and heartfelt commiserations to all the "Not yets"...JAs/Elmhurst associates is just the start of a very exciting roller coaster of a ride! Good Luck to all your beautiful little dancers for the future-each and every one of them will have something truly special about them! And if you can manage both JAs and Elmhurst Associates timings I would say go for it...it can and has been done very successfully!! They are two very different programmes both offering excellent tuition and experiences:) Best wishes to all those lovely supportive ballet mummies too x

• Like 2

Photos are an aide-memoire for the panel. You certainly do not need professional ones. Ask your teacher to choose the photos +/- help setting poses etc. So no parents should feel any guilt on the photo front.

Problem was teachers not very supportive - infact are not happy my dd's have been offered a place at CBA :((

Problem was teachers not very supportive - infact are not happy my dd's have been offered a place at CBA :((

I experienced the same and had to do the whole thing alone. Incredible though that they weren't happy at the success.

Well done to your dd on her CBA place.

I wonder if associate schemes can make some teachers feel vulnerable if not confident or concerned their teaching methods will be open to scrutiny by more experienced teachers. Have on two previous occasions known dc to get into top associate schemes on potential and parents then promptly advised by teachers that it would be in their child's interest to look for another teacher for their home classes.

• Like 1

If your dc's regular dance teacher is not being encouraging, positive and enthusiastic, there's only one answer really - move! Seriously, that may be the only realistic option - no end of harm can be done to the inner confidence and self-belief of a young dancer whose teacher doesn't support them in their ambitions. It is extremely demoralising and harmful to their self-esteem.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 7

My DD got SWL. Is there any realistic hope or should I let her down gently??

Well done, Toomuch, and definitely keep hope! Not sure how many are on the SWL but they probably don't put too many on it?

• Like 1

It is extremely demoralising and harmful to their self-esteem. 

or to the parents  :blink: 

When you have a child who is always told by their teacher that:

they aren't quite ready,

the competition is really stiff and they probably won't get in, 

it's too soon to tell whether they will be good enough to audition,

they are improving but...(followed by that week's fault),

...and the teacher is someone who goes out of their way to discourage any of their students to audition for associate schemes or EYB etc and then show their severe disgruntlement when you say you're doing it anyway, then that child is probably going to walk into the audition believing that they aren't really good enough, and they won't perform as well as they might have done had they been brimming with confidence and joie de vivre.

And then, when they defy the teacher's predictions and do get in, the teacher is disgruntled and doesn't even say "well done". We've been in this situation, and the crestfallen look on dd's face when she told the teacher her news, only to be met with annoyance - well that was the final straw and why we left that school.

• Like 5