Press Release: Scottish Ballet Assistant Artistic Director Hope Muir is appointed Artistic Director of Charlotte Ballet

SCOTTISH BALLET ASSISTANT ARTISTIC DIRECTOR HOPE MUIR APPOINTED ARTISTIC DIRECTOR OF CHARLOTTE BALLET

Scottish Ballet announces that our Assistant Artistic Director Hope Muir has been appointed Artistic Director of Charlotte Ballet in North Carolina and will take up the position in July 2017.

Hope first joined Scottish Ballet as Ballet Mistress in November 2009 and was later promoted to the role of Rehearsal Director before becoming Assistant Artistic Director in 2015, leading the Artistic Team and working alongside our CEO/Artistic Director, Christopher Hampson.

“Hope has been of great support to my Artistic Directorship and a major contributor to the Company.  Although I am sad to see her go, I am thrilled that she will be heading up Charlotte Ballet. We wish her every success in her new position.”

Scottish Ballet CEO/Artistic Director Christopher Hampson

The past seven years at Scottish Ballet have been invaluable and I have learnt so much from the different roles that I have had throughout my time here. I am thrilled and honoured to be invited to be the new Artistic Director of Charlotte Ballet at such an exciting time in the company’s development and I am looking forward to this new challenge. I want to thank everyone at Scottish Ballet for their support as I embark on this new chapter of my career.”

Scottish Ballet Assistant Artistic Director Hope Muir

EDITORS’ NOTES:

Hope Muir biography

Born in Toronto, Muir has worked for the past 27 years throughout Europe, Canada and the United States in both classical and contemporary dance companies. Her uniquely diverse career has seen her create and perform roles for some of the world’s most prolific choreographers including Christopher Bruce CBE, Twyla Tharp, Jiri Kylian, William Forsythe, George Balanchine, Paul Taylor, Merce Cunningham, Robert Cohan, Javier De Frutos and Mats Ek.

Muir was a founding member of Peter Schaufuss’ London Festival Ballet School before joining the company, now English National Ballet. Muir then joined Rambert Dance Company, where she danced under the direction of Christopher Bruce CBE for over ten years before moving to Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, where she completed her performance career in 2006.

Since her retirement from the stage, Muir has been invited to work with some of the most prestigious companies worldwide, including The National Ballet of Canada, Rambert Dance Company, Pacific Northwest Ballet and Ballet BC, as a sought after guest teacher, stager and rehearsal director. She has been remounting work internationally for a number of choreographers including Christopher Bruce CBE, Javier De Frutos, Helen Pickett, as well as assisting and staging Emergence for Crystal Pite, and most recently served as rehearsal assistant to Hofesh Shechter for his creation Untouchable at the Royal Ballet, Covent Garden in 2015.

Muir joined the Scottish Ballet in 2009 under the artistic direction of choreographer Ashley Page. In 2012, Muir was named Rehearsal Director and then promoted to Assistant Artistic Director in 2015, working closely with the present Artistic Director and CEO Christopher Hampson.