Matthew Bourne's New Adventures - The Red Shoes

I've just picked up, via Graham Watts twitter feed, that Sir Matthew has made the official announcement this morning that his next production will be The Red Shoes.

It will be opening in Plymouth before a gala opening night for the season at Sadler's Wells.

I'll put up the link when it appears on the Company website (unless anyone else sees it first).

• Like 6

Sounds great but I'm not sure how it will work as a MB production, given that the film is so much about classical ballet and the main role is about dancing in a pair of red pointe shoes. I could see it more as a musical theatre production with properly trained classical ballet dancers, more along the lines of American in Paris. I'm sure it will be a theatrical extravaganza though and well worth getting tickets for.

I was assuming that it would have to deviate quite significantly from the original - as is usual with his productions.  And there's no obligation for him to keep it as ballet, of course.  I do however assume that someone else other than Ms Shaw will be dancing the lead :)

• Like 1

Sounds great but I'm not sure how it will work as a MB production, given that the film is so much about classical ballet and the main role is about dancing in a pair of red pointe shoes..

Perhaps a pair of red Converse 'sneakers' instead...

• Like 2

It seems pretty clear he  thinks it's a ballet: "It has been fascinating to discover how much of this music lends itself to storytelling through dance and this production will, I believe, be the first full length ballet to celebrate his unique music.”

Also, from twitter:

7uGtaD2A_normal.jpgashleyshaw_1
Ah thank you!! I will have the red shoes on my feet at some point too https://t.co/IMoCvkGOn2
05/04/2016, 14:57

Edited by Colman

they are 'magic' shoes in the ballet story within the film's story, and once she puts them on, she can't stop dancing (to her doom). As the dancer in question was a ballet dancer, they were pointe shoes. If a more contemporay dancer in the proposed remake (for want of a better word), then they could well be any other type of shoe - though barefoot would ruin the story! :-)

• Like 1

My feeling is that the story is very much up his street. Almost too much! I presume there will be some fun technical innovations, so best give them a couple of weeks to iron out the niggles. I was pretty struck by the film and wondered why I'd never heard of it before I saw it on TV (I suppose Kate Bush made a reference, though). It's one of those "theoretically famous" films, I suppose.

One of the pairs of red pointe shoes worn by Shearer in the film was in the recent exhibition at the V and A, opened by Tamara Rojo. I wish I'd seen them.

I've just finished reading 'Holding on to the Air', by Suzanne Farrell. Either the film was very prescient, or was Balanchine already treating his ballerinas like this when the film was made, in 1948, does anyone know?

I guess Vicky Page doesn't need to be on pointe. The publicity shots seem to show Ashley Shaw wafting them about in her hand, so no clue there!

One of the pairs of red pointe shoes worn by Shearer in the film was in the recent exhibition at the V and A, opened by Tamara Rojo. I wish I'd seen them.

You have a second chance to see the shoe exhibition at The Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle - it is a fabulous museum and staged the highly acclaimed (and fantastic)YSL Style is Eternal last year.  The V&A show Shoes Pain and Pleasure is being shown at The Bowes 11 June to 9 October 2016.  I would urge anyone to visit The Bowes it's lovely and they have a fabulous automaton silver swan which is switched on daily at 2pm - the only other such automaton is the golden peacock at the State Hermitage in St Petersburg! http://www.thebowesmuseum.org.uk/

Have to say it's going to be a great November at The Lowry what with National Ballet China and now MB's Red Shoes - very happy bunny here!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see how Bourne copes with the staging of the ballet in a live production. In the film, a lot of the most poignant moments are filming tricks and things that couldn't easily translate into live performance. 

How important are pointe shoes in the film?

If you haven't seen the film, you must! It was only on TV just the other day and I ended up watching it again. It's a story within a story about the star of a ballet company who gets the Red Shoes ballet choreographed on her. The ballerina (Vicky Page) is played by Moira Shearer who was a dancer at Sadlers Wells. The owner/director of the company (Boris Lermontov) tells her she has to sacrifice everything for ballet. Robert Helpman was also a main role and choreographer and many dancers in the film came from RB.

Of course the film was inspired by the original fairy tale from Hans Christian Andersen. The film was made in 1948 and is still wonderful. I'm sure MB will do it justice, I hope so!

• Like 2

One of the interesting (to me) things about the film was the way in which the ballet sequences were shot - rather psychedelic and not at all of a stage performance. It made me wonder how one might reimagine ballet without the constraints of a theatre. Keep the choreography (or the essence of it) yet render the dancers in a more flexible and artistically unbounded setting. Obviously it could be regarded as a travesty, but the creative potential was proved to me by that film.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...