Johan Kobborg no longer with ONB Romania

Alison, I don't think only one side of the story is visible: the Minister and the various Interim Directors spoke to the media and their version is much more public than Kobborg one. Maybe you mean that he writes in English and the other speak in newspapers in Romanian, but the assumption that the other side of the story is not available it's not true,

For example the incident about the request to speak only Romanian has been largely discussed: Soare admits it happened but claims that he was not the one who made it and that he tried to calm down the other person. Unfortunately I doesn't remember the name of that person.

I think it could be vaguely accepted that he says "I don't want that name in the news paper", but the sentence "I don't remember" speaks loud (at least to me, leaving in a country where "I don't remember" means a lot) of the level of the person.

The point is that the incident happened in presence of many people and all of them remember the name (I didn't asked and don't know this name) and agree that it was not Soare to ask to speak Romanian, the only difference is that they say he didn't try to stop the other at all (this at least in public, in private only the two, and maybe God if invited,know).

I cannot edit this anymore, of course

"Unfortunately I doesn't remember the name of that person"

has to be read

"Unfortunately HE doesn't remember the name of that person".

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mola! Alina Cojocaru has just announced on twitter that she will be joying the demonstration in support of Kobborg and ONB future planned tonight at the Opera

https://twitter.com/dancingalina/status/719851459936940032

You can ask her why she couldn't dance Manon...it could be interesting, because on Saturday night, when everybody was still smiling and she was still oping to dance the day after, even if not with the poor and innocent Vogel, is quite different from the one it has been published in ONB web-site.

A summary of the events and information about this afternoon demonstration also in this Romanian magazine.

http://adevarul.ro/cultura/arte/johan-kobborg-demisioneaza-astazi-nu-continua-sa-mi-compromit-munca-etica-morala-1_570ca24f5ab6550cb8e5b982/index.html

Edited by annamicro

Ballet directors are becoming like football managers and being sacked for all sorts of reasons.  'Twas ever thus!  I remember when Schaufuss was sacked from ENB and look at the number of people who have tried at that job, only to be edged out after a couple of years.  One thing about Tamara Rojo, no one is going to push HER around.

To be fair to both BRB and RB this is far less a problem there.  At least with Ross Stretton it was pretty clear why he was ousted out and no one could say his tenure at the RB was that successful.  Whatever are the rights and wrongs of the Kobborg case they have undoubtedly lost a very effective director who was doing wonders for their repertoire.  It will be a long time before ONB recovers from this I feel.

• Like 1

There is absolutely no intention from me to deny either JK's qualities as an AD or AC' big heart. I went to all new performances and indeed JK did a brilliant job and managed to bring a fresh breath into the company.

Things went wrong from both sides (JK and management) and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

But what he is doing right now is pure media manipulation. If he is right, why then doesn't he take his case to the court. Let's make justice and write all the articles in the world if he is proved to be right. Why does he have to instigate Alina and the young dancers (who are very fond of him)?

Mola! Alina Cojocaru has just announced on twitter that she will be joying the demonstration in support of Kobborg and ONB future planned tonight at the Opera

https://twitter.com/dancingalina/status/719851459936940032

You can ask her why she couldn't dance Manon...it could be interesting, because on Saturday night, when everybody was still smiling and she was still oping to dance the day after, even if not with the poor and innocent Vogel, is quite different from the one it has been published in ONB web-site.

A summary of the events and information about this afternoon demonstration also in this Romanian magazine.

http://adevarul.ro/cultura/arte/johan-kobborg-demisioneaza-astazi-nu-continua-sa-mi-compromit-munca-etica-morala-1_570ca24f5ab6550cb8e5b982/index.html

Alina went on strike for the whole week. She chose not to rehearse in support for her fiancee. She made it very clear on twitter saying, I quote "I will be performing ONLY under the management that made this ballet happen for our audience to enjoy, with KOBBORG as our leader". These are exactly her words, including the capital letters. Everyone may read the statement on her twitter or on JK's FB wall. I would say Mr. Conta, the GM was trying to protect her image when he decided to only mention the unavailabilty of F. Vogel.

Edited by mola

Cojocaru activity for the Hospice of hope speaks of her love for her Country, but I dont think is really relevant here. :-)

I think what is on Gaynor Myndens website could be (as a start)

"Alina Cojocaru, international ballet star and Principal Dancer at England’s Royal Ballet* personifies the generous spirit of ballet. When asked by Gaynor Minden to endorse our pointe shoes she agreed on one condition: instead of accepting a fee, she asked that we supply pointe shoes to the dancers of the Opera Nationala din Bucuresti, the national ballet company in her native Romania.

In making her request, Cojocaru explained that she had just returned from Bucarest where life for the dancers, she said “is very hard.” Severe political and economic problems make buying pointe shoes and other necessities extremely difficult and sometimes impossible. The plight of her friends and colleagues moved Cojocaru to offer what would have been her entire compensation so that the Romanian dancers could get the shoes they needed."

https://dancer.com/gm-artists/artists/alina-cojocaru/

I would also ask to Mola if he/she has any idea about how a company that cannot afford shoes (I was talking with a dancer on Sunday about something else private and not relavant here and diring the conversation he said "we are given very few shoes, so I'm saving the good ones for the shows"), can afford the list of works of this year program. I asked Kobborg some time ago and I had the answer I had already given to myself: so which is your answer, Mola?

Just to make it clear, a FACT, that you love so much, is that a friend of mine in 2005 (I still have his budget, sent to me for double check) paid an Ashton pdd for a single show 250 pounds. 250 pounds for just a pdd 11 years ago, to make it simple in Romanian terms: 250 pounds are 1400 lei (1 thousand 4 hundreds). And the Royal Ballet was charging 150 pounds ( 840 lei) for each costume. ONB is dancing Ashton the Dream with Royal Ballet costumes (not the wigs, ok) and sets.

Have you any idea not of the aritistic value, but of the bare real market cost of the works (all masterpieces) that Kobborg managed to offer to Romanian audience and that now will be probably retired by the rights owner (Yuri Possokhov has already announced he is retiring the right to perform Classical Symphony)?

But maybe you agree with those who want to see Kobborg leaving because it has to be protected the "renomate choreographic Romanian tradition" and that's the point where the discussion ends.

CQu4_isUsAAaj6p.jpg

Again, I know Alina has a big heart. She has done numerous acts of charity, showing everyone what a good person she is. I am not discussing the value that JK brought to ONB. I know he did well beyond his duties and expectations. I am just saying about he is doing right now - with the same fierce.

Today the GM accepted JK'resignation letter (sent by fax).

This is a translation of the  press release.

This morning, Mr.Johan Kobborg has officially asked to cease his work contract and all the other contracts he holds with Bucharest National Opera. His appeal was accepted.

Bucharest National Opera would like to thank Mr.Johan Kobborg for his contribution to our institution and for his outstanding achievements.

Alina went on strike for the whole week. She chose not to rehearse in support for her fiancee. She made it very clear on twitter saying, I quote "I will be performing ONLY under the management that made this ballet happen for our audience to enjoy, with KOBBORG as our leader". These are exactly her words, including the capital letters. Everyone may read the statement on her twitter or on JK's FB wall. I would say Mr. Conta, the GM was trying to protect her image when he decided to only mention the unavailabilty of F. Vogel.

...a very uncommon way to be on strike all the week, to dance Die Kameliendame in Munich on the 6th of April, rehearsing at the same time with Vogel (check Vogle twitter account). She wrote exactly as you reported "I will be performing ONLY under the management that made this ballet happen for our audience to enjoy, with KOBBORG as our leader" not "I'm not dancing in any case". I will now report a stage door conversation (public anyway: everybody there was listening) saying that she on Saturday night (and both Alina and Johan were relaxed and confident, as were all the dancers) was still hoping to perform on Sunday, she said to have had to withdraw because when she came back to Bucharest had not time to rehearse, being busy with meetings and all the fuss generated by this event, but also that she was so willing to dance that show that she and Johan were going to try to go to the studio to see if it was possible to dance Manon together (of course they need less rehearsal time, having danced it together many times). So we have been close to have a Cojocaru-Kobborg Manon, but the story took unexpectedly another direction and I think they didn't even go to the Opera House on Sunday. (still on Sunday night some members of ballet staff were saying that they were trying to find a good date at the end of the season to finally have the Cojocaru Vogel Manon).

I don't think Alina Cojocaru will never be happy to be "protected" at the expenses of somebody else. And I'm sure she cannot be easily manipulated or instigated: maybe she has been in Romania not enough in the past and people doesn't really know what a rock solid person she is, in many ways, mainly good. She has been very little in her country in the past and you are losing her again: what a pity.

I still hope, anyway.

btw: maybe you saw that cast previously, but you missed a superb perfomance (act £ especially), on Sunday!

(I edited twice for typos and grammar, now I give up: you all will understand in any case :-) )

Edited by annamicro

annamicro I trust you believe this. I also know that she will always be more than welcome in Romania if she decides to ever dance again. However , my feeling from reading her tweet was that she was imposing her point of view as she would dance only under the circumstances that JK is AD.

I believe that dancers go on stage for the public. I believe that dancers go beyond politics and don't fight fire with fire, they fight fire with dance.

Once again, Alina was here, she could have rehearsed as it was not her name involved in this circus - but she chose not to.

We, as Romanians, cannot loose Alina. She is a great artist and belongs to the world, I can only hope she will choose not to denigrate her country, but to follow her good heart and be a true artist.

Edited by mola

annamicro I trust you believe this. I also know that she will always be more than welcome in Romania if she decides to ever dance again. However , my feeling from reading her tweet was that she was imposing her point of view as she would dance only under the circumstances that JK is AD.

I believe that dancers go on stage for the public. I believe that dancers go beyond politics and don't fight fire with fire, they fight fire with dance.

Once again, Alina was here, she could have rehearsed as it was not her name involved in this circus - but she chose not to.

We, as Romanians, cannot loose Alina. She is a great artist and belongs to the world, I can only hope she will choose not to denigrate her country, but to follow her good heart and be a true artist.

yes, she was imposing her point and on Saturday Kobborg was likely to be the AD. All the company was on strike and they rehearsed very little during the week.

Cojocaru and Kobborg have worked a lot together for ONB, and she helped a lot also for Manon. You seem to see only an off stage relationship, but I think this has very little relevance here: I see much more, in this case a technical and artistic joint venture. Alina worked a lot for the company, just think to the gym (if you know that a very basic little one now exist in the building), she has been coaching some ballets and did many other things, to think she is just Kobborg fiancee and a guest is to focus on the 5% of her relationship with the company.

Angela Gheorghui is promoting his dear friend Soare, Alina Cojocaru is trying to save not her fiancee but her own work and all the efforts of the last two years. And she and Johan are trying also to protect all the dancers that trusted them and are now at risk to lose all what they worked for and even their working place,

I appreciate you trust I believe this, but I don't understand what you believe on and on which basis, because from what you write you seem be very far from knowing really anything of what has happened inside the Opera Theatre (the good, the bad, the mixed things) in last few years, this said without any intention to offend,

Edited by annamicro

There were 2 performances this weekend and there were extensive rehearsals during the week with the 2 ballet masters (Karl Burnett, Bruce Sansom). Alina C. and a couple of other dancers decided to quit rehearsals - as per her tweet dated April 6th, 4 days prior her announced performance.

An update. Johan has organized for some of his dancers a protest in front of the Opera House. What happened was that  Alina Cojocaru declared she would never get on the ONB stage and together with her, another 30 dancers wanted to quit the institution.

Unfortunately I have news that it has been worst than imagined, which is a shame - the exact reason for I won't enter any detail.

I wonder how will Alina save the efforts of her last 2 years by taking such a drastic decision which mainly affects us, the public.

“For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind.” I rest my case. A bon entendeur, salut!

Edited by mola

Is it anybody making fun of you? ot it is just you making fun of yourself?

Karl Burnett left to Santiago del Chile where he is now mounting Mayerling and even didn't attend the premiere, here is good luck to ONB for the premiere on facebook (public https://www.facebook.com/karl.burnett.71 )

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fkarl.burnett.71%2Fposts%2F10153437942306437&width=500"width="500" height="200" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

Brusce Samson wasn't in Bucharest this week and the only ballet master was James Wlikie (rushed back after the event).

After both the performances the dancers were saying to have not rehearsed for most of the week.

Ionete and Bishop and the cast had a last minute planned eherasal led by James Wilkie on the day of the performance, just after class. With two friends I was invited to see class, so this is not a reported info: I saw them with my eyes entering the main studio.

This are the FACTS, are you in good faith or trying to distribute absolutely false information for personal interest????

Dear annamicro, I have been misinformed about the ballet masters and obviously there are details you know better. However, I may ask, why didn't they come for rehearsals? In my job, if my boss is fired, I don't go home in sign of solidarity, leaving projects undone and people disappointed. I either continue to work or decide to quit as well.

This is my point of view, everyone is welcome to share it or not, but I certainly do not appreciate the way you are treating me.

Edited by mola

I'm sorry for your misinformation but I wonder what would have been undestood and perceived in London and everywhere if I would have not been here to prove how wrong your information are.

So, since many information are public and in addition I can have an instant chat (everybody has facebook and smartphones, also in Romania: it's an hard time for old style liars, isn't it?) with several persons of ONB or close to it (and I'm not just talking of Kobborg and Cojocaru), please be careful before spreading again falsities, in good faith or not, because I will be here to disprove them and I'm afraid you will go on not appreciating the way I will continue treating you.

What happened it's called strike, it happens in democracy (in my country it happens too much and is abused indeed). They weren't fighting just for their boss but for their rights and their working place: isn't this clear yet?

Alina was not supposed to be in Bucharest until the end of the week because she was supposed to rehearse in Stuttgart with Vogel (there was a change of plan because of Alina unplanned show in Munich and they rehearsed also in that town). Alina shared on twitter on the 9th a message of Vogel explaing the event.

https://twitter.com/DancingAlina/status/718917126615076866

After that the situation seemed to improve and Alina was willing to try to dance on Sunday, but it was obviously too late to have Vogel in Bucharest and him rehearsing with the rest of the cast, so she was trying to do that with Kobborg (not really feasible, but they were going to make an attempt in the studio as see how it was working)

annamicro, I won''t go any further. I am not here to throw accusations or spread falsities. I don't take anyone's part and I don't have any personal interest as I don't work or collaborate with the Opera. And I don't want to ask you too "what is your interest in backing JK". I assume you are genuine and true in what you say, no matter how you want to make an interpretation of the details you get from your connections. So there is no need to be acide with me.

I just wanted to show another side and say that the truth is somewhere in between, as sometimes we are all inclined to see things as we like and discard all other points of view. Again, I am not saying I am right, just wanted to make my point across and unfortunately all the details you mention favour it.

• Like 1

Thanks for this, Denver.  At last something that at least APPEARS to be striving towards some balance in this whole sorry affair.  

My heart goes out to the audiences I saw really enjoy the fine performances by ONB under Mr. Kobborg's regime.  I was really impressed that entire families - many with young children - were so packed in to the brim and lapped everything up with such obvious pride.  To me it felt tangible.  They certainly appear dedicated.  That faith - once lost - is far harder to retrieve.  One does not have to look far to find historical examples of such sad losses that even now have yet to be restored. .  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Sorry Mola, but your statements are frankly rubbish. For more than two years Johan was allowed to hire dancers, invite guests, decide on the programme, arrange designers and all the other things that are required to put a performance on the stage. If that is not being the Artistic Director then what is.

Yuri Fateev is not Artistic Director, he is not even Director of Mariinsky Ballet, and he has had those powers for almost 8 years.

• Like 2

If only......JK had contacted the 'powers that be' to discuss the movement of his name on the website - rather than writing a 'goodbye' on Facebook......

I don't know what/if was done/discussed before that post, do you?

I totally agree that some things could and should have been dealt better (both parts).

But something on which both parts agree, with very slightly difference, it is the xenophobic approach from the fist day. Yesterday the xenophobic threats of part of low level (in any sense you can read it) Opera employees were in the news, filmed.

It's always easy to say "you should shut up" from a country where everybody everyday can open the mouth and give plenty of air to it.

If only......JK had contacted the 'powers that be' to discuss the movement of his name on the website - rather than writing a 'goodbye' on Facebook......

If only the new interim director had contacted the ballet director before moving his name on the website...

• Like 12

There are several Japanese dancers in the company and they have mentioned about what is happening on their Japanese Twitter accounts and blogs. Reading that I could say the newspaper reports and tweets by JK is not everything and things are very complicated. It would be difficult for us outsiders to see what is going on and we really can't judge anything about this.

All we can say is that JK did a great job to boost the company and is a great artist. End of the story

• Like 7

Yuri Fateev is not Artistic Director, he is not even Director of Mariinsky Ballet, and he has had those powers for almost 8 years.

Mr Fateev has always had Director in his title......having been listed as Acting Director, Acting Deputy Director or Deputy Director.

Translate this, I cannot now

Stimate domnule Prim-Ministru,

Imi permit un ultim mesaj.

O sa va atașez o poza cu un email scris de Printesa Marina Sturdza dnului Alexandreascu. Acest lucru o sa răspundă la acuzațiile nedrepte aduse noua in legatura cu Gala de la New York.

Din păcate am realizat ca aceata țara a noastră nu este pregătită pentru ce Johan si eu le-am oferit acești 2 ani si voiam sa continuam. Am știut ca o sa fie greu dar am sperat ca inspirând curaj , creativitate,pasiune si onestie atât in inimile onor micuți balerini cat si celor tinere talente ale tari (celor care au ales sa se întoarcă in țara de când este Johan la conducere) , o sa fie un început , o noua generație de artiști Români . Atât oamani Români cat si străini Lucrând împreuna spre a crea arta ,sub acoperișul teatrului, si in același timp a dărui mai departe tari . Așa cum aceta este rostul artei si culturii. Am sperat sa fie o ruptura din cercul de răutate si distrugere ,in care este țara noastră. Macar cat de mică schimbarea ,sa fie simțită in generațile viitoare, măcar o raza sa le îndrepte privirea si dorința de a dărui si a iubi , așa cum si ei la rândul lor au simțit. Dar se pare ca am greșit , putini sunt pregătiți sa vadă si sa accepte ca exista oameni ca Johan - fără interes propriu ci din potriva. Probabil aici si este una din durerile mai mare pe care le simnt momentan. Când balerini trimit mesaje de ii rup lui inima , dar sunt cu frica sa își arate prezenta când trebuie sa il susțină. Înțeleg si nu înțeleg acest lucru. Durerea mea este ca deși au simțit ceva minunat ( dupa cum spun ei) , ceva ce ar trebui ,dupa părerea mea, sa le fie un standard in viața ( pe care il merita).. Au făcut o alegere-frica. Toți avem dreptul la o alegere in viața, pentru mine frica si întimidare nu este o direcție înainte, este o destinație -întunericul.

Primesc mesaje ca unii isi cer scuze ca am fost jignita.. Nu m-am simțit așa , simnt numai mila si Tristețe..

Imi pare rău ca încercand sa protejez ce sa realizat cu atât de multă munca, si a asigura un viitor acestei arte in România protejând o mâna de Oameni cărora li-i se datorează aceste realizări nemaipomenite la noi in țara , sa ajuns la un alt scandal...va asigur nu aceatsa a fost intenția !!

Ținând cont de situația tari știu ca aceatsa de la ONB este numai o mică problema si voiam sa va mulțumesc din Suflet de timpul acordat. Nu numai ca un conducator al tari mele dar ca si om cu respec pentru un alt om.

Am văzut un zâmbet in ochii si inima dumneavoastră si aleg sa plec cu aceatsa amintire din multe lucruri urate care sau întâmplat in numai câteva zile. Aceasta bunătate arătata mie, imi da încă o raza mica de speranța pentru viitorul tari mele, un viitor pe care il doresc tutor oamenilor, regardless de ce naționalitate sunt... Măcar pentru viitoarele generați aceatsa speranța sa existe..

Sper sa am acea onoare de ne revedea intr-o zi cu Johan ,la un pahar de suc așa cum ati propus.

Cu sinceritate ,

Alina

Mr Fateev has always had Director in his title......having been listed as Acting Director, Acting Deputy Director or Deputy Director.

It is not correct, Lgny. You probably trusted the English translation of his title where the word "Director" is used quite loosely. Assoluta was right. On the Mariinsky Theatre official website Yuri Fateyev’s title in Russian means “acting manager of the ballet company of the Mariinsky Theatre”:

https://www.mariinsky.ru/ru/company/ballet/management/

His position is described in the same way in this official TV film:

http://tvkultura.ru/video/show/brand_id/60073/episode_id/1261834/video_id/1429584/

as well as In Wikipedia: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Фатеев,_Юрий_Валерьевич

Whatever the future holds for him I do not expect to see his name to be moved to the Mariinsky corps de ballet. 

Edited for layout.

Edited by Amelia

Here is the english translation from Google translate.

Dear Prime Minister,

Allow me one last message.

I'll attach a photo to an email written by Princess Marina Sturdza to Mr. Alexandreascu. This will respond to unjust accusations brought new about Gala in New York.

Unfortunately the Track we realized that our country is not ready for Johan and I have offered them these two years and wanted to continue. I knew it would be difficult, but I hoped the inspiring courage, creativity, passion and honesty both in the hearts of honor Little dancer and the talent of countries (those who chose to return to the country when Johan lead) it will be a beginning, a new generation of Romanian artists. Both Romanian and foreign oamani working together to create art under the roof of the theater, and at the same time giving further countries. As acetates is the point of art and culture. I hoped to be a break from the circle of evil and destruction, it is our country. Even small change, be felt in the next generation, even a ray to them gaze and desire to give and to love, and as they themselves felt. But it seems I was wrong, few are ready to see and accept that there are people like Johan - without self-interest but from suit. Perhaps here is one of the biggest pain you currently simnt. When sending messages ii dancers break his heart, but are afraid to reveal their presence when to support. I understand and do not understand this. My pain is felt as though something wonderful (as they say), something that should in my opinion be a standard to them in life (it deserves) .. They made a choice-fear. We all have the right to a choice in life, for me fear and intimidation is not a forward direction, it is a destination -întunericul.

Receive messages that some apologize that I was not offended .. I felt so simnt only pity and sadness ..

Sorry for trying to protect what has been achieved with so much work, and to ensure the future of the arts in Romania protecting a handful of people to whom it is due to these achievements miracles in our country, it was another scandal ... I assure you it was not the intention aceatsa !!

Taking into account the countries know that aceatsa from ONB is only a small problem and I wanted to thank you so much for your time. Not only as a leader of my country but as a man that had been read for another man.

I saw a smile in your eyes and your heart and choose to go with aceatsa memory of many ugly things that happened or in a few days. This kindness shown me, I still give a small ray of hope for the future of my country, a future they want tutor people Regardless of what nationality are ... at least for future aceatsa generate hope exist ..

I hope to have the honor of seeing us again one day with Johan, a glass of juice as you proposed.

Sincerely ,

Alina

Edited by Living the Dream