Johan Kobborg no longer with ONB Romania

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly better than nothing - thank you.  I'd guess that those "woulds" in the 6th paragraph might be a form of reported speech rather than a real conditional tense.

The reasoning seemingly given would make some sort of "sense" too, I suppose - if you can call it that.  It's certainly close to the conclusions I'd drawn because I couldn't come up with any other sort of viable alternative.

That sort of narrow-minded nationalism seems to be getting more and more prevalent, but the company is going to suffer in the long term (to say nothing of the short term) if it freezes out dancers from other countries. I gather from the comments under the translated article that someone in a high place has a wife who is a ballet dancer. That might give them the idea they know a lot more than they really do about running a ballet company. I hope Johan Kobborg manages to find another position where he can use his abilities; it's nice in a way that the dancers think highly enough of him to go on strike on his behalf, but the atmosphere there sounds pretty toxic and I'm not sure he'd want to return even if the dancers do manage to force the hand of the culture minister and the acting general Pooh-Bah or whatever he is.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 3

News from Bucharest, according to ONB press release Johan Kobborg is still the Artistic Director and hi scontract is confirmed, but since the position doesn't exist, he had to be moved to Artists page of the web site...

Not sure if I can stopp crossing fingers, but something seems starting to move.

http://www.agerpres.ro/comunicate/2016/04/06/comunicat-de-presa-opera-nationala-bucuresti-10-19-48

More clarification from Dance Europe:-

Johan Kobborg and the Opera National Bucharest

The situation in Bucharest is complex but it transpires that, although Kobborg was engaged to carry out the duties of an artistic director of the ballet company, he was never formally contracted as such because the position does not exist due to some illogical bureaucracy. The arrival of one interim general manager, Tiberiu-Ionuț Soare, who is a conductor, has resulted in an apparent need for absolute correctness, and so Kobborg's accreditation as artistic director has been removed from the company's roster and website. With a complete and shocking disregard for Kobborg's international reputation as a leading dancer, choreographer and director, the Opera National Bucharest has now listed Kobborg as an artist (i.e. a member of the corps de ballet). Such insensitive treatment of an individual who has raised the level and renown of the company immeasurably is nothing short of scandalous, and one hopes that the management of the Opera National Bucharest will concede that it has made a massive error and create the necessary legislation to give Johan Kobborg a title that he undeniably deserves.

• Like 11

News from Bucharest, according to ONB press release Johan Kobborg is still the Artistic Director and hi scontract is confirmed, but since the position doesn't exist, he had to be moved to Artists page of the web site...

Not sure if I can stopp crossing fingers, but something seems starting to move.

http://www.agerpres.ro/comunicate/2016/04/06/comunicat-de-presa-opera-nationala-bucuresti-10-19-48

Maybe I'm being simple about all this - the position doesn't exist - well jolly well create it and reinstate him to his rightful position as Artistic Director (Ballet). Presumably he had an original contract so I wonder what an international employment lawyer would make of it?

• Like 8

Maybe I'm being simple about all this - the position doesn't exist - well jolly well create it and reinstate him to his rightful position as Artistic Director (Ballet). Presumably he had an original contract so I wonder what an international employment lawyer would make of it?

Let's hope so.

In the afternoon, Kooborg and Soare will meet Vlad Alexandrescu, the Culture Minister: he will try to resolve the quarrel.

http://adevarul.ro/cultura/arte/ministrul-vlad-alexandrescu-incearca-sa-i-reconcilieze-tiberiu-soare-johan-kobborg-stinga-conflictul-opera-azi-vor-loc-discutii-trei-1_5704d7625ab6550cb8ac772b/index.html

It's  funny how Soare pretends to have just amended an "arrogant" mistake, this having acted that way in his first day of appointment: Tiberiu made his name (in)famous in just one day, even better than Caligula and Nero. :D

• Like 8

Poor, misunderstood Tiberiu, being accused of wrong doings by hysterical ballet types.

According to his own website, it appears that he is the most important Romanian musician of his generation, who has conducted many international orchestras....when Angela Gheorgiu took him along. [\miaow]

http://tiberiusoare.ro/eng/press/conductor-tiberiu-soare-decorated-by-the-house-of-romania/

For those who may have missed it, here is Alina's tweet:-

"I will be be performing ONLY under the management that made this ballet happen for our audience to enjoy, with @KOBBORG as our leader!!"

Well done lady, right is right and wrong is wrong and they are the latter.

• Like 13

Well, OK (sort of) if things are being sorted out - but it hardly augurs well for longer term relations within that Opera House. Who knows where things will stand a year from today.

Considering the approach of the new manager, his actions, his words, his protest, a honest question should be: is this person the right one for this INTERIM position. If the minister want to ask himself a honest question.

• Like 2

OK, when a "mistake" like that happens and the new guy comes waltzing in, demanding that everyone speak Romanian and whatnot, there's more to it than just an oversight about job titles regardless of the damage control being done today.

Seriously, if they weren't either trying to get rid of Johan Kobborg or at least trying to send him a message about how precarious his position was, they'd have fixed the problem with his job description before doing anything public. Presumably he took over this position from someone else, who took it over from someone else etc, and there was never a problem until yesterday, when someone with, apparently, an ego the size of a certain gentleman currently running the Vaganova Academy, decided to throw his weight around.

Trouble is, they can fix job descriptions once they realise they've bitten off more than they can chew, but it's not going to be nearly as easy to fix the actual issues.

• Like 1

Just to remind people that if you're posting from Facebook or Twitter please make sure that what you're posting isn't privileged access only, i.e. that it's publicly available to all.

Not saying that anyone hasn't been doing that, but I thought the reminder might be timely :)

I wasn't aware that on Twitter messages could be anything other than public if the DM message facility wasn't being used. I know on Facebook you ask to be a friend and that can be denied or not accepted, I do that myself at times. But on Twitter - how do you do that?

• Like 1

Isn't there something for followers only on that, too? If not, my apologies. I'm not on Twitter, so I wouldn't know, but I thought there at least used to be some form of privacy for those who didn't want to share with the whole world.

In the privacy and content section on your profile setting, you can 'Protect my Tweets', so that they are not public. LTD

Does that stop them being "retweeted" then? In which case, one assumes they can only be seen by your followers.

As incomprehensible as his departure from the Royal Ballet? He has so much to offer - it would be good to see him back in this country is some role. Also Ms Cojocaru has said in the past that where he goes she will follow. Hopefully this might mean we see more, not less of her.

Is it too much to hope that Mr O'Hare is picking up the phone to check out the possibilities! 

Given that he didn't come on stage to bid them goodbye when they left RB, I think it unlikely.  I always found it surprising that Acosta was allowed to choreograph and presumably given a free rein, whereas Kobborg who has obvious capabilities in this area, was not offered much.  It is still a mystery to me why RB seemed not to care when they left.

• Like 3

That sort of narrow-minded nationalism seems to be getting more and more prevalent, but the company is going to suffer in the long term (to say nothing of the short term) if it freezes out dancers from other countries. I gather from the comments under the translated article that someone in a high place has a wife who is a ballet dancer. That might give them the idea they know a lot more than they really do about running a ballet company. I hope Johan Kobborg manages to find another position where he can use his abilities; it's nice in a way that the dancers think highly enough of him to go on strike on his behalf, but the atmosphere there sounds pretty toxic and I'm not sure he'd want to return even if the dancers do manage to force the hand of the culture minister and the acting general Pooh-Bah or whatever he is.

Was Johann ever in the running for the RB job?

I'm fairly sure his name was mentioned in articles speculating about who might succeed Monica Mason. Whether this was based on anything tangible is another matter (I remember some of the names floated were based on seeing the applicants in the vicinity of the ROH, no such way to know with Johan).

In the privacy and content section on your profile setting, you can 'Protect my Tweets', so that they are not public. LTD

Ah, yes, it's the whole account or nothing, then. But the principle applies, that if you have privileged access something said privately shouldn't be transferred to the public domain. It's not always easy to remember.

• Like 1