New living wage and impact

Tulip

I'm not just talking about employing dancers, but also hiring theatres and crew. Minimum wage for over 25s has just massively increased from where it was before. I worry that companies that were already struggling financially are going to just disappear???

Is that £7.20 though because that is what the new minimum wage is for 25 and overs? Also if £7.20 is the lowest wage more experienced dancers regardless of age would have to be on a wage that was above that.

I think the Living Wage should be £10.00 P.H. And not just for the over 25`s either. Do those under the age of 25 not deserve to be treated equally? Are they asked to not work quite as hard as the over 25`s to warrant their reduction in hourly rate? I think it`s a disgrace.

I agree with you Lisa, but of course to pay the wages the cost of living will also have to go up. We will all see this soon in bars, restaurants, hairdressers etc. Given in one hand taken out of the other. In the theatre anyone over the age of 25 will be on a wage of £7.20 anyone who is more senior will then need their wage to increase and so forth. I bet theatre tickets will increase to cover all of these costs.

• Like 3

My question was regardless of how we all feel, I am sure these changes will have a huge impact on companies and theatres. My fear is will we see small companies disappear, or will they only employ under 25s, because for more experienced dancers, surely there is a hierarchy of wage???

• Like 1

It was announced this week that the minimum wage (for those under 25) will increase to £6.95, usually taking effect in October. I think a rise in living costs is inevitable. People will be no better off as companies will have to find a way to cover the extra cost and the easiest way is to increase prices.

• Like 1

I think it will have an effect, wages haven't gone up in the last few years and now this happens. My friend's brother will now have to pay an extra £40 per week for his care because staff wages are going up. Of course the cost of living will go up which will make it harder for people to buy extras like theatre tickets, which will hit already struggling companies (alongside having to pay the dancers more)

We've got to have a happy medium here, we can't be putting some businesses under too much pressure. On the other hand we don't want to be going back to the days when they sent children up the chimneys for next to nothing, and believe me some people would.