no ballet April Fool stories?

Quintus

Have any of the companies put out April Fool stories?  Haven't noticed any so far...  No 'Darcey Bussell to replace Melvyn Bragg on In Our Time', no 'Iana Salenko quits social media',  no 'McRae renounces hair lacquer for good', no 'Zakharova offers support to Trump'.  Most disappointing.

• Like 4

In the days of ballet.co, the well whence the Forum sprang, we could be sure of something from Bruce.  DanceTabs seems not to lend itself to such diversions.

But elsewhere, I see that BMW has continued its custom of recent years with an excellent ad for 'xDrive Baby Boots' offering 'Total Stability In All Conditions.'  Pictured in blue, we are reassured that they are also available in pink.  I have little doubt that their appearance will result in upwardly-mobile parents enquiring where they can be bought.

And in the Times, just opposite the ad, there is an article on a campaign to change the names of Imperial and King's Colleges to Gaia and Citizen's respectively.  It connects with the third Leader, often given over to matters in a lighter vein, that ends with a quotation from a Dr Primus Aprillis, Reader in Histrionics .... just possibly a clue to the veracity of the reportage though, these days, one can't be entirely sure about that.

There was a story on Sky News review of the papers last night that Vladimir Putin is dating Wendy Deng.  They were wondering whether it was an April Fool's joke, and clearly hoping that it was.  I can't remember which paper it was in!

Not ballet but Thames Valley Police are introducing a new unit:

https://www.facebook.com/thamesvp/videos/10153656892973655/?pnref=story

(I think BristolBillyBob attempted an early April Noddy (as we used to call them when I was a child) when he was suggesting that BRB were relocating to Bristol on the favourite ballerina thread!

The French ballet site "Danses avec la Plume" has published an article (in French only unfortunately) "Benjamin Millepied, le retour?" (" ...the return?") http://www.dansesaveclaplume.com/en-coulisse/43386-benjamin-millepied-poisson-d-avril/, which refers to rumours that Millepied will take over the lead of the Theatre du Châtelet in Paris in a few years' time.

Nicely written with a huge touch of irony, the article states the divided opinion of staff at the theatre (rejunevation versus an old lady that needs to be dealt with carefully) and Millepied's plans (no he's not going to change everything ...).

Helpfully, the link to the article already includes the reference to April's fool ("poisson d'avril")!

• Like 2

Well, I've spotted one in German - a new EU regulation on "green" offices which, for workers' health reasons, and owing to the increase in harmful insects, requires office plants to be replaced by carnivorous ones. It's written in such droningly boring German officialese that your eyes might glaze over and miss the salient hints that it's an April Fool :)

Well I was reading an article about a musician who was going to sue an orchestra....the BBC orchestra I think ...for loss of hearing.

In it he said he had to wear headphones for everyday tasks because the damage to his hearing made everyday sounds amplified (what?) and he had never been able to go and see his son play his instrument.

He blamed certain conductors for making the viola players ( his instrument) sit too near the brass section of the orchestra.

I really wasn't sure whether this was an April fool as it just seemed so over the top but obviously if it's for real ....poor man.

But if true will dancers be sueing Companies because they need hip replacements down the line as certain choreographers have made too many demands on them!!

The mind boggles.

Well I was reading an article about a musician who was going to sue an orchestra....the BBC orchestra I think ...for loss of hearing.

In it he said he had to wear headphones for everyday tasks because the damage to his hearing made everyday sounds amplified (what?) and he had never been able to go and see his son play his instrument.

He blamed certain conductors for making the viola players ( his instrument) sit too near the brass section of the orchestra.

I really wasn't sure whether this was an April fool as it just seemed so over the top but obviously if it's for real ....poor man.

But if true will dancers be sueing Companies because they need hip replacements down the line as certain choreographers have made too many demands on them!!

The mind boggles.

Sadly I believe it is true.  Looking into the pit you often see transparent barriers between the brass and string sections.  In R&J I have often seen the string sections putting their fingers in their ears at some places in the score (when Escalus enters, for example).  I think the orchestra members could use ear defenders but it does affect how they hear the music is going on around them.

Sadly I believe it is true.  Looking into the pit you often see transparent barriers between the brass and string sections.  In R&J I have often seen the string sections putting their fingers in their ears at some places in the score (when Escalus enters, for example).  I think the orchestra members could use ear defenders but it does affect how they hear the music is going on around them.

I also initially thought it was an April Fools thing - sorry to hear it wasn't. From a quick Google search there seem to be products specifically designed for musicians, which can be customised to filter out only certain types of sounds e.g. http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/erme.html, No idea how well they work...

I think it was the bit about every day sounds being amplified which confused me and he had to wear head phones to dampen down these sounds like when he was cooking in the kitchen. I just thought loss of hearing wouldn't amplify everyday sounds ......would make them more difficult to hear. But I guess if the ears are damaged in some way people experience different effects.

Also that he was seeming to blame just one piece of music ....a Wagner piece I think.

Although in the article it did mention a court case I'm not sure how far people go with these April fools and if it has been widely reported in the press I've not seen it until now.

I do feel for him though and didn't realise this could be an issue for classical musicians.....for rock musicians it is a bit more obvious.

I assumed, having read it, that it wasn't an April Fool. I can't imagine why anyone would make a "joke" of such an issue.

Just checked on Google - it has been widely reported in the press.

Definitely - When I read the article itself, it was clear that the matter is real and serious. But from  skimming the BBC headline 'Musician sues Royal Opera House over ruined hearing' I initially assumed it was a 1st April joke.

My cousin who lives in France put a photo on Facebook of the official letter they had received from the children's Primary School headed Timetable reorganisation.  A quick summary is as follows:-

- Children whose first name is made up of 3, 4, or 5 letters must attend school on Sundays from 7.30 - 8.30 in addition to the other days in the week.

- Children whose first name contains 6, 7 or 8 letters must come on Saturdays 15.00 - 17.00 in addition to the other days in the week.

- Children whose first name contains less than 3 or more than 8 letter are dismissed, are now on holiday and will not be expected to return to school untill September 2016.

:D

• Like 2

One April 1st, a friend who lives in Sao Paulo said that he would be unable to run an errand that evening 'because his numberplate ends in 3.' Thinking this was some kind of April Fool's Day prank, I jokingly asked if another friend would be arrested if she ran the errand instead. 'Yes, probably,' he said, 'because her numberplate ends in 4'. Well, turns out that it was no joke - In Sao Paulo, to reduce congestion and pollution, all cars are banned from driving in the rush hour for a couple of days per week - the specific days being determined by the last digit of the car's number plate...

• Like 2

The problem being that the rich simply buy two cars with an odd and an even numberplate. Similar schemes have been proposed in other countries but rejected as too economically discriminatory.

• Like 1

I reckon they will have to do this in London before long! It just doesn't seem to be able to cope with the level of traffic more and more often.

Perhaps they could just do it by the whole number plate / or driver licence number ....then people wouldn't be able to cheat quite so easily!!