I HATE online banking !!!

Lisa O`Brien

It drives me insane. I usually order my Sainsbury`s shopping every fortnight online and they deliver it the next day. I also pay my BT bill online. Have recently changed my debit card. I`m still with Ulster Bank but they gave me a new card and PIN. Well you would think it was straightforward enough to give your new details to whoever needed them online. Not for me it`s not. I either forget my password,or my username or something or other. Three attempts and my card becomes blocked. I`m sure Ulster Bank headquarters in Belfast must be used to me by now,the amount of times I have to ring them up and ask them to unblock my card for me. They always pass me over to the Fraud Dept,and I then have to go through all the security rigmarole proving that yes, it really WAS me trying to pay Sainsbury`s with my card,not someone else. Been trying to pay BT today. Payment didn`t go through. Maybe I typed in my full name wrong or something. Tried again. Same thing. And again. Card blocked. On the phone. They told me they wouldn`t unblock my card over the phone. I had to go to the nearest ATM,type in Card Services and it would unblock my card. It didn`t work. Back on the phone. He told me to go on their website and go on Web Chat. Been on the Curry`s Web chat and got on it straight away with no problems. On the Ulster Bank web chat I just kept getting a message saying and I quote," Chat Key Code does not match visitor chat key". Whatever on earth that is supposed to mean. Back on the phone to Ulster Bank again. Different person of course, so I have to go through the whole thing all over again. Told me to wait one hour then my card would be unblocked. Waited an hour and,lo and behold,my payment to BT has gone through. Does anybody else have a similar problem with online banking on a regular basis,or is it just me? I wish we could keep our money under the blooming mattress and pay for everything in cash.

• Like 1

Sounds just like Danske Bank to me Janet. It's a really great service. I love the Paym system whereby you can transfer money using someone's phone number via the app. Really handy if you don't have your wallet and your friend foots the coffee bill.

• 3 weeks later...

What I miss is the old days when you got to know your bank manager, and he knew you. You could go and talk to him if you needed help, explain things, and try to work something out together. Even if you had had problems but were now doing better, he would know these things and take them into consideration. Now, all you get is an anonymous credit check or voice on the phone telling you 'yes or no', with no reasons given for decisions. There is no human touch anymore. Maybe it does still exist somewhere, but not in my recent experience.

• Like 4

Which is probably why they - and their employees - are rapidly disappearing off the face of the earth.

But then the increase in banking staff in call centres must account for some of staff.  I just don't have the time to spend my lunch hour queuing up at the bank  and I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

Online banking has its downfalls as a friend of mine recently found out when his business, personal and Paypal accounts were all compromised and hacked into. Luckily, his bank was suspicious and phoned him up to check whether or not he had just withdrawn thousands in cash out of a Nigerian bank. :wacko:

• Like 1

Not really online banking but in my branch if you want to carry out a transaction at the counter you put your debit card into a machine on the counter.  As I had quite a lengthy query I completely forgot to take my debit card out of the machine.  I only realised in the evening when I wanted to use a cash machine.  I was going away the following day.

I rang up first thing in the morning and discovered you can only speak to someone in a call centre and not anyone in your branch.  I asked them to get a message to the branch as, if they had found and retained it, I had just enough time to dash into town to get it.  I didn't get any response from my branch and ended up cancelling the card online just before I was leaving for the weekend.  My friend had to lend me money!

Fortunately my new card came through very quickly.  I subsequently discovered that the bank holds cards for 24 hours before they are destroyed.  I could have just gone to town and retrieved it and saved myself a lot of anxiety.  The manager told me it is unlikely they would have received any form of message from the call centre...

• Like 1