Injury - please help! Possible "peroneus" injury from landing wrong??

Hello - any physios out there? Daughter does have an appointment to see someone tomorrow but they're not dance trained - couldn't get anyone locally at short notice (daughter home from vocational school for Easter hols).

Anyway she was doing class (brilliant local teacher) yesterday and all went well except at the very end, doing jumps (not big jumps but the ones on the spot where you bounce up and down - she told me the name of that movement but I've forgotten it). DD had to stop in pain - very sore down side of left lower leg. Teacher said DD not landing properly - and DD agrees and says she has developed a bad habit for a while now, where she doesn't bring her heels right down when she lands. Does that make sense?

Basically I am searching for reassurance that rest and ice are the best treatments for now, and please someone tell me it's not a serious dance threatening condition!!

A little googling about anatomy tells me it could be the peroneal tendon - but don't take my word for that. You can probably tell that I am not the best informed of parents - I have no dance background and DD is the first ever dancer or performer of any kind in our family.

Can anybody please offer any words of advice - in particular, does anyone recognise this condition? Thank you so much if you've managed to read all of this! :)

Hi, it's always difficult to make a thorough assessment with limited information and without seeing the patient in front of you.

If she has injured the area that is painful then yes it is likely to be the peroneals - there are 3 of them, and if she often wings her foot in the air, these are the primary facilitators of that movement. If she tries this 'winging' (sometimes known as fishing) action now is it painful? That might indicate that the issue is localised to the tendon. However pain in that area may also be referred from the sciatic nerve so it's important to get her checked over thoroughly.

As an aside - if you use ice, only use it for 5-10 minutes at a time. Any more has been shown to slow down healing by restricting blood flow and lymphatic drainage.

• Like 1

Glad it doesn't seem to bad, can I suggest though it might be worth seeking the advice of a dance physio as well. My daughter injured her tendon in October and she has been given exercises to do to strengthen her foot and her core to prevent it happening again. She was off full dancing for twelve weeks and is still rehabilitating.

Not saying it will be the same for your daughter as every injury is different but it might be worth seeing someone who understand what dancers put themselves through.

• Like 1