Aerial Dance

Lemongirl

I wonder if anyone knows anything about aerial dance training?  Dd was very taken by it at Move It and we picked up some info from My Aerial Home based in South London.  They run courses and also come and try days.

Does anyone know anything about this school or are there others?

My DD has done some aerial dance training.Not in London though. She did a summer intensive over two weeks and it was tough. Her hands became seriously blistered and infected and she said parts of her body hurt in a way she had never felt before!!

But she adored it and is really keen to have another go at it again. I,on the other hand, would be happy for her never to do it again as I find the sight of her suspended upside down from a silk or a hoop, terrifying! :o

It was, Lemongirl. We could see she was in trouble during her part of the show and she stayed up after the other girl had descended. I later asked my daughter, who was in the show, if the other girl was all right and she told me that she had become entangled in the silks and the scenery and jerked her arm awkwardly and broke it. Poor girl. :(

There are other places you can learn aerial in London and around the country, although My Aerial Home does have a good reputation I believe. Several of DD's friends have been there on their 1 week course aimed at dancers. They have all been in their final year of vocational training or have already graduated. Without exception they found it extremely challenging. It is very physically demanding and requires a lot of upper body strength and all came away with numerous bruises and aching more than they had ever ached in their lives.

If your DD is keen to try it I would certainly take it slowly with weekly classes and not a course and it would be better to try and find something that is aimed specifically at her age group. That's only my opinion but I know neither of my DDs would have had the upper body strength as a developing teen to do anything more.

• Like 1

You can do aerial at Circus Space in London, Circomedia in Bristol, Greentop in Sheffield, Skylight in Rotherham, and other places (now). The four that I've mentioned are where I personally trained when I used to do it. Back then (15 years ago) it was very difficult to find a venue. Now it seems to be everywhere. Aerial requires a lot of upper body strength and decent flexibility helps immensly. I always had plently of strength and very poor flexibilty, so my positions weren't all that pretty to look to but rock solid and I never fell off or dropped my partner. It's hard on the hands, but they toughen up, and the strength will come if you work at it. When I used to train, we would spend the first 45 minutes doing body conditioning and the second 45 minutes doing aerial. We were also expected to keep up the body conditioning in the week. Those that did had less injury.

Very interesting, thank you.

2dancersmum - it was the week long dancers' course that dd was looking at at My Aerial Home but from what you say I think it would be too much for her.  She has good flexibility but I have no idea how much upper body strength she has.

I think maybe she should try the trial session they run which is just 1.5 hours to see how she finds it.