Favourite male dancers!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the topic in a slightly different way - memorable performances of male dancers who one doesn't necessarily think of as dancers - I would include Mark Morris in Dido and Aeneas; Maurice Bejart in Notre Faust; Robert Helpmann and Frederick Ashton in Cinderella.  Otherwise I'm right up there with Jorge Donn, Nureyev in the early days, Valdimir Vasiliev.  And nowadays I'm also right up there with the fans of Muntagirov - my new 'must-see' artist.

• Like 4

My ballet going has only been for the past few years. Dancers who have made a good impression on me from seeing them in a performance when the touring companies visit near me: Brandon Lawrence (BRB); William Bracewell (BRB & also from 'The King Dances' on YouTube);  Jonathan Goddard (Dracula); Tobias Batley (NB).

The company I've seen dance the most is easily the RB. I'm regularly impressed & moved by performances from Federico Bonnelli, Ed Watson, Ryoichi Hirano & Alexander Campbell. Also Steven McRae in specific roles.

Among the younger generation, I've been consistently impressed by Matthew Ball - I think he has great stage presence & fabulous potential. It's always an extra pleasure to find he's on the cast list.

I also particularly enjoy seeing Marcelino Sambe & Luca Acri, who are great dancing together. 

Gary Avis is superb. He has such artistry & I find his performance on stage mesmerising. So much so that during Manon when he was Monsieur G.M, I once became so engrossed watching his character play cards, that I completely forgot to look at the main action / dancers on stage!!!

My favourite male dancer though, no contest, is Vadim Muntagirov. 

• Like 5

Coming right up to date now I just cannot decide who my current favourite male dancers are so obviously I don't have a favourite!!

I've just booked Frankenstein but have chosen the first cast dancers not because they are necessarily my favourites but because they are the choreographers chosen dancers....presumably? So this will be Bonelli.

I would choose McRae for certain roles and Muntagirov for others and have seen only a little of Ball.....a little I very much liked....But not enough to say he's yet a favourite.

Vasiliev is extraordinary in bravura type roles so would be happy to see him.

I love some of the ENB dancers like Yonah Acosta and Junor Souza and Cesar Corrales and some Rambert dancers like Luke Ahmet Miguel Altunaga and Dane Hurst and Jonathon Goddard stuck in my mind from the Mark Bruce Company

These are the main Companies I see and as I only see Northern and BRB once a year I'm not qualified to comment on these dancers.

So no stand out as yet but lots of chances I think in the next couple of years to get "hooked" on some one or other!!

Edward Watson. He is the only one from the nowadays stars that for me represents not only what a dancer should be, but an artist in general.

And purely for the joy of dance- I love Sergei Polunin. Speedy and brilliant.

• Like 2

Edward Watson for me too! I used to love David Blair and as a teenager fell in love with Skouratoff, don't really know how to spell his name I think he was with Ballet Russes. Any body able to tell me more about him? I think he came to London and did a show called Broken Engagement or similar title!

• Like 1

... fell in love with Skouratoff, don't really know how to spell his name I think he was with Ballet Russes. Any body able to tell me more about him? I think he came to London and did a show called Broken Engagement or similar title!

I've found these 2 links:

http://skouratoff.com/index.htm

http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803100510364

• Like 1

Edward Watson. He is the only one from the nowadays stars that for me represents not only what a dancer should be, but an artist in general.

And purely for the joy of dance- I love Sergei Polunin. Speedy and brilliant.

I am with you there.  Going to see him in Winter's Tale on Tuesday.  Have you seen his Mayerling?  That, for me, is great art

• Like 6

Just on DVD :(

Oh, I still get goosebumps from the night he made his debut.  I have never seen a reception like it at RB.  Total silence and then him on his own, almost prostrate with fatigue and us just clapping and stamping to our hands were numb.  There was a special atmosphere in the house that night and it just got better and better as if we were all one person.  Incredible.

• Like 1

I believe it was quite something :). Even on video the tension on stage is quite palpable. I saw also Polunin interpretation on youtube and it doesn't even come close (purely technically he is maybe better, but it all felt to me unnatural as emotion)

I've tried to keep away from this topic. There are many dancers today who are technically outstanding, there are some who can touch me emotionally and one or two who tick both boxes. And then there is (was) Nureyev. Sheer animal magnetism. Even in his declining years, all he had to do was to stand on the stage and nothing and no-one else mattered.

• Like 4

This is brilliant

Edward Watson is just magnificent, brilliant in Wayne Mcgregor and MacMillan, Tetsuya is just insane especially in class. Irek use to take my breath away. So powerful and in your face real. Wayne Eagling, Dowell are also beautiful dancers. But my favourite is Edward 

• Like 2

Oh, I still get goosebumps from the night he made his debut.  I have never seen a reception like it at RB.  Total silence and then him on his own, almost prostrate with fatigue and us just clapping and stamping to our hands were numb.  There was a special atmosphere in the house that night and it just got better and better as if we were all one person.  Incredible.

It was a matinee - Easter Monday :)  Actually, what you're describing sounds to me like the other Bank Holiday performance, his third (I missed his second - silly me), when I said I thought he was running on fumes only by the end, and pretty much louder applause than I'd ever heard at the back of the Stalls Circle.

It was a matinee - Easter Monday :)  Actually, what you're describing sounds to me like the other Bank Holiday performance, his third (I missed his second - silly me), when I said I thought he was running on fumes only by the end, and pretty much louder applause than I'd ever heard at the back of the Stalls Circle.

No this was definitely an evening performance and it was the first night of the run.  I think I have been misleading in describing it as his debut - I meant first night and that was three years ago - I think!

No this was definitely an evening performance and it was the first night of the run.  I think I have been misleading in describing it as his debut - I meant first night and that was three years ago - I think!

Ah, that's different.  That would be the first night of the last run, and it was indeed an unforgettable experience :)

(Is it sad that I've managed to catalogue all of Watson's Mayerling performances in this way? :) )

Have just seen the news that Mayerling is back in the autumn so my cup runneth over!  I wonder who will dance Rudolph apart from Watson now that Pennefather and Kobborg have both left?  Bennet Gartside was rather good last run and I presume Muntagirov may do the role but any ideas who amongst the younger ones might take it on?

• Like 1

I'm very biased so I am sure everyone can guess whom I hope would be cast!

I'm a huge fan too but not sure he is quite right for Rudolf. Has the role ever been danced by somebody of more compact stature? It iOS certainly impact on the female casting ...

• Like 1

Pennefather was my first Rudolph (ignoring a Mayerling I saw decades ago and pretty much slept through) and I loved him for it. Turned me from an occasional ballet visitor to a rabid repeat viewer. Whilst he could sleepwalk through a performance on some days, I still have a very soft spot for Pennefather when he was 'on'.

Apart from Watson (obviously…) I'm not sure that I have favourite dancers, though I have a number of favourite performances involving a wide variety of male dancers.