Favourite male dancers!

Well I think its only fair we also have a thread about male dancers too! Btw what is the equivalent term for 'prima ballerina' for male dancers in ballet? 

Of the ones' I've seen live:

1. Ivan Vasiliev (amazing! esp. with Osipova)

2. Tsiskirade (his stage presence was awesome)

I sadly don't remember the names of others I've seen from Mariinsky/Bolshoi.

On YT or TV/cinema only:/would like to see:

1.0 Nureyev (obviously) - any one on here actually seen him live? Would you like to share anecdotes/your stories?

1.1. Baryshnikov (ditto) - ditto!

1.2 Nijinsky (ditto)

2. Halberg -- I'd love to see him live. He is still dancing right? (He looked really very beautiful in Sleeping Beauty alongside Zakharova)

3. Polunin (heard so much about him I must see him!!)

4. Carlos Acosta

5. Erik Bruhn - because of Nureyev.

There is another one from USSR  I;d love to have seen but I can't recall his name. He is the one about whom Nureyev said, "if you think I am good you should have seen him!"

Edited by sybarite2015@

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is another one from USSR  I;d love to have seen but I can't recall his name. He is the one about whom Nureyev said, "if you think I am good you should have seen him!"

He was referring to Yuri Soloviev, take a look at him on you tube dancing the Auber Grande pas Classique and you will see what Nureyev meant.

• Like 1

Dowell, Baryshnikov, Robert Parker, Michael O'Hare, Tyrone Singleton, Brandon Lawrence, David Wall, Stephen Jefferies, Nicolas Le Riche, Peter Schaufuss, Patrick Dupond, Patrick Armand, Bruce Sansom, Wayne Eagling 

I did see Nureyev a number of times but never at his peak so I would not include him.

The two dancers I wish I had seen were Eric Bruhn and Vladimir Vassiliev.  Some I wish I had seen more of, Adam Cooper and Johann Kobborg.

• Like 3

Well, 2Ps, most of the dancers you mention would at least be candidates for my selection!  Except Schaufuss, for the sole reason that I don't think I ever saw him live.  Come to think of it, I never saw Wall live in his dancing days, and I'm not sure about Dupond.

• Like 1

Sorry, me again, 3 I cannot believe I left out earlier, Joe Cipolla, Wolfgang Stollwitzer and Alexander Campbell. Finally, I hope, three who have special places in my heart because of the interaction we had as friends off stage, Stephen Wicks, Vincent Redmon and Kevin O'Hare - I wonder whatever happened to him.

Peter Schaufuss, Patrick Armand, Koen Onzia, Kevin O'Hare, Chi Cao, Alexander Campbell, Tyrone Singleton, Brandon Lawrence, Daniel de Andrade, Toby Batley, Jeremy Curnier, Darshan Singh Bhuller, Patrick Harding-Irmer, Guy Detot, Paul Liburd, Jonathan Goddard, Erik Brahmania

• Like 1

How I wish I had seen Farouk!! Only seen on film....absolutely fascinating .....

I've got to say all time favourite dancer was Nureyev. But when have thought some more will add a few more

But I'm only going to add ones I think I would queue for 13 hours for....at the time they were dancing or currently!!!

How I wish I had seen Farouk!! Only seen on film....absolutely fascinating .....

I've got to say all time favourite dancer was Nureyev. But when have thought some more will add a few more

But I'm only going to add ones I think I would queue for 13 hours for....at the time they were dancing or currently!!!

I saw Farouk in Corsaire with Altynai Asylmurotova.  I think the Kirov were over here and I got given tickets being a ballet novice then.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven they were totally incredible and I can still remember it in detail.  He had that exoticism that pulled you in and she was probably the best I've ever seen.

• Like 2

I saw Farouk in Corsaire with Altynai Asylmurotova.  I think the Kirov were over here and I got given tickets being a ballet novice then.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven they were totally incredible and I can still remember it in detail.  He had that exoticism that pulled you in and she was probably the best I've ever seen.

I do so agree. He was terrific and she was just fabulous. It was at the Coliseum when I saw them and I just remember beaming all the way through the performance. The night before we had seen Terekhova and a very young Igor Zelensky. Ah, those were the days. I also remember Neff as Conrad, miming 'I am a corsair' every 5 minutes. Pankova was Gulnara and Zaklinsky was the slave dealer whose name escapes me.

Such happy memories. I am so glad I have the DVD of that great cast.

I have really enjoyed this thread. I spent part of the afternoon watching Patrick Dupond in Etudes on YouTube. Retirement is just bliss!

• Like 2

The truly wonderful Fernando Bujones. The few recordings of his dancing do not do him justice. We never saw him put in anything less than 100% and always perfect. Loved Baryshnikov when he was in the mood.....unfortunately you never knew which Mischa  would turn up unless the cameras were on him. Was not impressed with Nureyev by comparison.

More recently Denis Matvienko, Daniil Simkin and Vadim Muntagirov

• Like 1

At the Coliseum in the 1990s; Farouk Ruzimatov, Konstantin Zaklinsky and Igor Zelensky. Saw Igor first in Manchester in 1990 in a programme of divertissements by the Kirov and thought he was sensational (he was only 19 or 20 then). Then saw the company in Birmingham the week after in Corsaire and didn't return to the real world for about a week! I've never seen anything like it for colour and exoticism. it was the most exciting balletic experience of my life and I've never forgotten it. the ballet has always been a huge favourite and it's a shame they haven't done it over here for about 15 years now. All other versions pale by comparison (though ENBs is pretty good for male dancing).

Later, Irek Mukhamedov for his stage presence and wonderful technical and acting ability.

More recently, Ivan Vasiliev for his unashamed 'showing off' and technical brilliance in Don Q and Flames of Paris (especially with Osipova). I particularly remember his first performance at the Coliseum in Don Q and the gasps that went round the auditorium when he did his amazing leaps and splits in mid-air. the Bolshoi visit won't be the same without him.

Steven Mcrae for his brilliant Ashton roles, especially Fille with Roberta. they had a wonderful partnership.

Finally, Vadim Muntagirov for his very special talent in making whatever role he dances supremely his own. He just gets better and better and I can't wait to see him in Giselle tomorrow and then at the cinema. it promises to be a very special experience.

• Like 1

The ones I've seen live that come immediately to mind are Isaac Hernandez (ENB) and William Bracewell (BRB).

Edited to add a mention of Cesar Corrales who made the biggest impact I've felt of any male dancer in ENB Corsaire in Liverpool last year as Ali. It's such a bravura part that I must reserve judgement until I've seen him dance a broader range of parts.

Edited by northstar
  • Like 4

Anthony Dowell - I saw him dance on the documentary All the Superlatives, and fell in love with him and ballet before I ever saw a performance. The sheer beauty of his dancing opened my eyes and my heart, and I have never looked back! Also David Wall and Stephen Jefferies - great dance/actors. Nureyev for his sheer blazing stage presence. Baryshnikov for technique, charm, charisma, etc. Peter Schaufuss. Joseph Cipolla - terrific actor/dancer. Mukhamedov. Polunin. I suspect Muntagirov is coming onto the list too. And in a different sphere: Akram Khan.

And on reflection, in a completely different sphere: John Curry.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 2

mummykool, Unfortunately for his reputation the stage gave Nureyev up long before he gave up the stage . If you only saw him in the final years of his dancing career you would be hard pressed to understand what all the fuss was about. If you want to gain some idea about his greatness as a dancer you need to look at the film of him and Fonteyn in Les Sylphides, the Le Corsair pas de deux and the excerpt from Giselle filmed soon after his first Giselle at Covent Garden as well as the recording of him dancing in his production of the Nutcracker for the Royal Ballet.

• Like 4

Ruzimatov is still dancing. He danced Conrad with the Mikahilovsky Ballet this January, and as he is over 50 now, no more leaps, but he is still beautiful, very much in shape (what a beautiful body), elegant port de bras and his pirouettes a la second still have his signature bravura. 

And he will dance in August in Tokyo again in a joint gala with Denys Matvienko

• Like 5

Steven Mcrae. That shock of red hair is so touching, makes me want to mother him! And he is on springs!

And Carlos Acosta, of course, who doesn't bring mothering to mind! :::DDD

And gary Avis, who is the only thing that can get me through the first act of Nutcracker, and Johnny Cope, surely the two nicest men in ballet.

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 3

So far not mentioned but IMHO ought to be

Maris Liepa

Thomas Lund

Peter Martins

Gediminas Taranda

Emmanuel Thibault

How could I forget the amazing Thomas Lund.  I only saw him dance a handful of times but that was a real privilege.

• Like 1

Reading this thread has evoked some wonderful memories for me.One of my best experiences was seeing the Kirov at the Business Design Centre in Islington in the late 80's. I was really stressed as we arrived late due to train problems! However, when I saw Farouk Ruzimatov dancing Ali I forgot all that, he was sensational & he has been my favourite dancer ever since.

Other dancer's I love are,

Irek Mukamedov,Roberto Bolle, Igor Zelensky,Gary Avis, Sergei Polunin, Vadim Muntagirov, Thomas Edur& Nicholas Le Riche.

I am sure there are others I may have forgotten.

Susan

• Like 2

mummykool, Unfortunately for his reputation the stage gave Nureyev up long before he gave up the stage . If you only saw him in the final years of his dancing career you would be hard pressed to understand what all the fuss was about. If you want to gain some idea about his greatness as a dancer you need to look at the film of him and Fonteyn in Les Sylphides, the Le Corsair pas de deux and the excerpt from Giselle filmed soon after his first Giselle at Covent Garden as well as the recording of him dancing in his production of the Nutcracker for the Royal Ballet.

No he wasn't in his final artistic throes when we saw him Floss. He was still a dancer of considerable majesty. Many years later I saw a documentary where Baryshnikov said that he has always thought him a rather sloppy dancer and I think that was the disappointment...that his dancing was not as polished as I had expected. Exciting yes, but rough around the edges. I still regard it as a great privilege to have seen him though.

• Like 4

Certainly compared to Dowell dancing at the same time you could consider Nureyev a bit "sloppy" though I'd say "untidy" was a better word as sloppy indicates you don't give a damn and that was definitely not Nureyev!!

The contrast between the two was enormous which was why that time was also so exciting .....

Nureyev had the magnetic stage presence so you watched him sometimes when he was doing nothing it was strange ...you could feel that dance was Life and Death to him .....a very unusual and mesmerising quality

Dowell was all beautiful line and the perfect classical,dancer really.....really beautiful to watch ....rather than exciting....but you still wanted to,see him too.....all my money went on ballet at the time .....I'm sure I was at the opera house usually standing at least every other night of the week it seemed.

It was the partnerships one really queued for though.....Nureyev/Fonteyn and Sibley/Dowell

Nureyev and Fonteyn win by a few hours as waited once from 8pm in the evening overnight til 10pm the next morning about 14 hours and on another occasion for Sibley and Dowell from 9 in the morning until 7pm.......when they finally sold the standing that day ....so 10 hours.

To be honest just couldn't do,that anymore no matter how wonderful the dancer so won't apply this rule to,current dancers.

I queued for the opening night of Manon I think it was ...which was very exciting and I think it was for David Wall one of the dancers was keen on at that point. ....great actor/dancer. There is another dancer whose name on the edge of consciousness who I liked at that time who I see with David Ashmole ...possibly first name Nicholas but may have been with the Festival Ballet or Sadlers Wells so not sure.

I enjoyed Wayne Eagling when he joined the RBS and there is a dancer who was French I think who danced with Nureyev in Songs of A Wayfarer at the Colli ....he was wonderful ...but didn't see a lot of him but that's another performance which sticks in the memory (well except for the other dancers name).

There is a big hole in my ballet going in the 90's for various reasons so missed a whole generation of home company dancers and touring Russians etc. which is a great pity as obviously missed some greats.

Will get back on current dancers in a while

• Like 4

The Songs of a Wayfarer may well have been with Paolo Bartoluzzi....who was a Bejart dancer ( with Nureyev I mean)

I don't know why this performance sticks in my mind but it was very beautiful and moving and one of those rare occasions a bit like Marguerite and Armand danced by Nureyev and Fonteyn when I knew afterwards

I couldn't see the ballet with anyone else. Well I'd be able to break that rule now but it lasted for years!!

Apparently Nureyev performed this with Patrick Dupond in Paris when he was not long for this world and people who saw this say they will never forget it. I don't think I could have endured it by the sound of it!!

I enjoyed Wayne Eagling when he joined the RBS and there is a dancer who was French I think who danced with Nureyev in Songs of A Wayfarer at the Colli ....he was wonderful ...but didn't see a lot of him but that's another performance which sticks in the memory (well except for the other dancers name).

If he was French, it would be Patrick Armand, I presume.  Definitely on my list, too, although I never had a chance to see him in this.