Examiners identifying candidates without numbers etc.

Yaffa

Watching some of the amazing videos of Vaganova annual exams over the years, it just struck me that candidates never wear numbers or other identifying details on their person, though there are usually at least a couple of outside examiners on the panel who, I would assume, would not recognise most of the students. At the start of some exams, candidates' names are read out individually and they curtsey, and I would guess that the examiners are given a list of which candidate is at which place at the barre. But I'm curious to know if British examiners would be ok with that system? I think I'd find it very confusing.

Just looked quickly at a couple of Bolshoi and Perm exams  and again can't see anything visibly identifying each student. Am I missing something? Is this a cultural thing?

• Like 1

We had test classes every term at the RBS when I was a student and I don't think we had numbers.  All the teachers and judges knew who everyone was.  Perhaps that's the same there.  Anyway, they're all so perfect in those Vaganova films on Youtube, that I don't quite know how you could tell the difference between them!

We had test classes every term at the RBS when I was a student and I don't think we had numbers.  All the teachers and judges knew who everyone was.  Perhaps that's the same there.  Anyway, they're all so perfect in those Vaganova films on Youtube, that I don't quite know how you could tell the difference between them!

I also thought it must be that everyone knew everyone, and most of the examiners shown in the Russian videos do come from the school. But you also see e.g. directors of schools in different cities who appear to be grading the students, not just observing. 

Perhaps they make notes under each girls name? People often revert to describing key features if they can't remember the name. One examiner we had recently talked about a group of candidates (who wore numbers) as the little one who tried hard, the beautiful ballerina, the good effort who was the wrong shape for ballet and the tall one. And at work our teaching staff are described to the receptionist as the boy, the tall dark haired one, short one with reddy hair, the quiet one etc.