Bolshoi Ticket Prices for ROH 2016

Can anyone with a ROH Friends membership and thus access to booking tell me the price of tickets for say Balcony centre A-C and Amphi Centre A-C rows please just so I calculate ahead of open booking what I can afford? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know anything about The Taming of the Shrew?  I am not familiar with Maillot's choreography.  I will be in London then so could go to the Flames of Paris matinee or the Shrew evening performance.  Any opinions?  I probably won't manage to get tickets anyway, but would like to try.  Is there any other ballet on in the summer?  There doesn't seem to be anything on in May when I'm over too.  Bother!

It was screened in the cinemas the other week - there may be some footage on YouTube or somewhere, maybe the Bolshoi site? (and probably some feedback on our Bolshoi Cinema thread).  It's very modern, and rather short - have you seen his R&J?  That would give you some idea.  Having seen it once, I doubt I'll bother going again.

Dance*is*life, have a look at the Sadler's Wells website. Northern Ballet and Rambert are both performing there in May. There is also ballet at the Coliseum in the summer. Australian Ballet is bringing two productions: the Murphy Swan Lake and the Ratmansky Cinderella).

• Like 5

Any sniff of casting yet?

Not yet I emailed VH a week ago and they said as soon as they know it'll be on the ROH website.  Usually in the past we have had preliminary casting out before general booking, would be good to have it even if subject to change!!

Are 'superseats' the ones with a smoked salmon sandwich and glass of champagne included during the interval?

I always think this sort of thing is aimed at people who think that is what top people have at posh theatre and who do not know how to buy champagne or a programme for themselves. Miaow.

• Like 4

One of the joys of going to the ROH is to see everyone dressed up in their finest. Well most people! Although the rush during intervals to get some food/drink is a bit undignified and I wish they could come up with a better system. Maybe you could order stuff online and they bring it to you at your seats or at another designated area?

One of the joys of going to the ROH is to see everyone dressed up in their finest. Well most people! Although the rush during intervals to get some food/drink is a bit undignified and I wish they could come up with a better system. Maybe you could order stuff online and they bring it to you at your seats or at another designated area?

Nooooooo no food or drink in the auditorium please! ROH is one of the very few places to keep this rule so to me is an oasis of cleanliness, no food smells etc in the theatre world.

• Like 11

I just rang up but none of the seats I like were free - so I gave up on booking over the phone as I prefer to see for myself the seats available so will have to wait until next week, plus we still haven't any idea of casting.  I am seriously annoyed with the whole booking process and priority booking for visiting companies but I'll keep my issues to myself so I don't upset anyone.  I do wish the Bolshoi had a separate booking date to the rest of the ROH Summer Season as it will be ridiculously busy next week.  I am now not very hopeful of getting any seats I like and the prices being as horrendous as they are this year well it's all just rather disappointing.

• Like 1

Is anyone subscribed to the Times? Because you can book early for the Bolshoi if you have a Times subscription, and you're not a Friend. I did this yesterday, despite not knowing casting yet. Is it likely that they will release casting on the 12th, do you think?

I always think this sort of thing is aimed at people who think that is what top people have at posh theatre and who do not know how to buy champagne or a programme for themselves. Miaow.

I have had the same thought haha! Isn't smoked salmon the height of naffness nowadays anyway? It always amazes me to see it still dished up as some sort of exotic delicacy. My first visit to the ROH in 2008, after a long gap, coincided with a very warm evening. There was an overpowering smell of smoked salmon all over the place. I had this vision of cling film being removed from 1000s of the dreaded sandwiches in readiness for the visiting hordes. The smell even permeated the auditorium. I did complain about it to the catering department and suggested that there must be a less pungent alternative. Anything but fish of any kind. I can't remember the response but I had to email them twice before I got one. I don't know what kind of champagne is served but I recall thinking the extra cost of a 'superseat' is not worth it. They are not even the best seats in my opinion. I have also seen plenty of folks eating and drinking their own s.s.s's and champagne on the terrace. Can you still get that sort of thing through customs now they seem to be checking bags more carefully?

I'm obviously very naff - I love smoked salmon sandwiches!  They remind me of a fabulous holiday we had in Aberdeenshire in 1998 - in fact to this day we refer to them as Aberdeens!

If they remind you of a fabulous holiday in 1998, that's more retro chic than naff!  ;)

• Like 3

I've always hated smoked salmon - apart from the oak-smoked salmon, or whatever it's called, which is a completely different ... er ... kettle of fish :)

Wow, we're really getting a bit off-topic, aren't we?

• Like 1

Bringing things back to topic - I am really really annoyed, no in fact I am getting to feel quite Bolshy(!) the more I think about this - Why oh why don't the ROH sell the Bolshoi tickets on a different date to the rest of the ROH Summer Season?? I can just see the website crashing under the strain now....ROH punters fighting for ROH tix and Bolshoi fans wanting Bolshoi and fans of both wanting both and then there is the RBS gala tix as well......is there no common sense applied to anything these days?

• Like 1

I confess I'm mostly furious about the lack of casting (which I partly blame the Bolshoi themselves for), but I too can foresee a lot of problems with the website on the morning of 12th as well. I'll be very surprised if the site doesn't crash, which will almost certainly lead to people getting stuck in the queue. Would it have been so hard for them to open general booking on a different day?

• Like 1