RBS Senior Associates Results

proudmum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange one that, as far as I'm aware my GDD has no particular hyper ex in the knee, and she has been a JA MA and soon will probably be a SA. I reckon most people on the forum have learnt from the experienced members that there is certainly more than one route to Rome. I say probably as there might hopefully be other options for her fingers crossed.

Edited by Vonrothbart
  • Like 1

It was said in a topic on this forum during a lower school audition post, some year 7 applicants had been asked to do this to see how close their knees were to the wall. It may be a fairly new thing. They have always been asked to sit with their legs out in front of them, feet flexed and see how far their heels lift off the floor at JA auditions, so the same exercise but on the floor. Hyperextension and hyper mobility may have their own problems I know, but in the end hyperextension is what RBS look for. Show me a dancer in the company without hyperextension, I'd be delighted to see it!

• Like 1

Strange one that, as far as I'm aware my GDD has no particular hyper ex in the knee, and she has been a JA MA and soon will probably be a SA. I reckon most people on the forum have learnt from the experienced members that there is certainly more than one route to Rome. I say probably as there might hopefully be other options for her fingers crossed.

Vonrothbart, I'd imagine that if your GDD has no hyperextension in her knees then she must have long legs. I've never seen a JA that hasn't had one or the other, but again I'd be very happy to hear if I'm wrong :)

• Like 1

Er... what? That's a new one on me (and dd too who says she's never been asked to do that, ever).

It was also referenced this year by Bluebird22 on 23rd March in the Lower School Auditions topic, after talking to Mark Annear for feedback on a pupil of hers, so it must be happening now

Edited by atacrossroads
  • Like 1

I'm far from the expert, but if DC's think this is a requirement it may encourage them to force hyperextension, especially in younger DC's, which could possibly be damaging and cause injuries. DD's wonderful ballet teacher was totally against this - she always said that you have your knees for the rest of your life after all.

Funnily enough DD and I just tried it and my knees touched the wall with ease, whereas hers were just slightly off - she has slight swayback, but very long legs (inside leg 35") - oh dear, yet more pressure for the kids  :angry:

• Like 1

Actually maybe it isn't a requirement. They do tests to rule people out as well as in, and this might just as easily be to test for too much swayback which could be a problem rather than an advantage.

Alternatively - it could be to test for a flat bum! ;)

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 3

Thing is , there can be all the criteria in the world but then something can be seen that they really like in someone that doesn't tick all the boxes. That certain something is elusive and can't really be defined, annoying though that is x

• Like 2

Atacrossroads and Taxi the stretch I was told about was facing the wall lunging forward trying to get the knee to touch.

I've had a class try the standing back to the wall and the lunge one. Lunge one is really really hard! At WL they measured how far away from the wall you were when the knee touched. Elmhurst made them stand on a set line and aim for the wall.

There's also a weird one that I won't be able to describe properly

Standing sideways parallel feet, bend the knees keeping the heels on the floor and back straight lower as far as you can. I've known this to be asked from JA auditions upwards.

• Like 1

True true jazzpaws! There is certainly more to the selection criteria than physicality alone. It's maybe that special something that they see in somebody that can't be held to a specific criteria. Mr Annear describes the combination of things that they are looking for in a recent YouTube video (filmed at Manchester WL audition day) mentions physicality, flexibility, coordination, musicality, ability to take direction from teachers and, most importantly to show their joy of dancing! If only I could figure out how to post the link...

• Like 2

And then you look at how many of their pupils make it into Upper School, very few, most are trained elsewhere. How many who make it into the company have come through their training programme rather than just do the couple of years at Upper School? How are they going to produce dancers capable of being Princpals in their own company with the current approach?

For the sake of the Darcys, Tamaras and Leanne's out there, maybe it's time for a change of thinking?

• Like 3

My daughter has been a RBS JA and was also offered a mid associate place at 11 which she chose not to accept as she had other plans.

She certainly does not have and will never have hyperextended knees, and in fact her knees are quite the opposite in that they look 'bent' even when they are straight. This obviously affects her lines and she has to work extremely hard to try and achieve and maintain a straight leg appearance.

However, she does have amazing elevation, good feet and a beautiful performance quality and I think this is why she was selected both times. She never tried for SA.

I don't think there's any danger of her ever being selected for the Royal Ballet company and agree with those people who are saying that it would be rare or unheard of for a dancer without knee hyperextension to be given a contract there. However to all parents of hopeful JA, MA and SA children, don't give up hope if they haven't got hyperextended knees- it's a much safer construction not to have them and they may well still get a place if they have other desirable qualities.

• Like 1

Atacrossroads and Taxi the stretch I was told about was facing the wall lunging forward trying to get the knee to touch.

I've had a class try the standing back to the wall and the lunge one. Lunge one is really really hard! At WL they measured how far away from the wall you were when the knee touched. Elmhurst made them stand on a set line and aim for the wall.

There's also a weird one that I won't be able to describe properly

Standing sideways parallel feet, bend the knees keeping the heels on the floor and back straight lower as far as you can. I've known this to be asked from JA auditions upwards.

Yes I think it is, bestfootforward. It's just a peculiar position to look at. Since I was very little I've sat in a similar position so my bum doesn't touch dirty floors, my dad used to call me Gollum from lord of the rings!

True true jazzpaws! There is certainly more to the selection criteria than physicality alone. It's maybe that special something that they see in somebody that can't be held to a specific criteria. Mr Annear describes the combination of things that they are looking for in a recent YouTube video (filmed at Manchester WL audition day) mentions physicality, flexibility, coordination, musicality, ability to take direction from teachers and, most importantly to show their joy of dancing! If only I could figure out how to post the link...

Here it is :)

https://youtu.be/WoI6knXkCeU

• Like 2

:) We have digressed rather a lot on this thread haven't we?!

Indeed. I have moved all off-topic posts into a more appropriate thread here: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/11245-how-much-is-it-about-the-body/?hl=physique#entry151441

I don't want to have to start locking threads but they must stay on topic please without Mods having to ask several times.

• Like 5