Signed pointe shoes.

They're not pointe shoes but I have got 2 pairs of shoes signed by Chi Cao.

My friends arranged for me to have a pair of Martha Leebolt's signed pointe shoes for my birthday last year and I've also got shoes signed by Ambra Vallo and Vicky Marr.

• Like 4

I have a small collection of 4 pairs - I like them all equally, not that they are on display!

Megan Fairchild NYCB

Ashley Bouder NYCB

Lariska Dumbchenko (Raffa Morra) The Trocks

Nadia Yanowsky Dutch NB.

I do wish the UK companies would sell their shoes but they seem reluctant to do so.

In Amsterdam the Friends of DNB always have a healthy selection on sale the higher the rank the dearer, with principal shoes EUR50.  Their dearest are EUR100 for the golden Cinderella pointes!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 3

They certainly would have been if the signature were clear....so I guess it would depend on how much a fan or collector wanted them despite the very faded writing, as something to keep for themselves.

• Like 1

You can have a pair of Diana Vishneva's for a mere $500 via her Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pivotalpointe/diana-vishneva-pivotal-pointe/description 

I see that 13 were sold out of the 50 available, so they'd probably be glad to take a cheeky offer on the rest just to reduce the ongoing Febreze bills....  ;)

• Like 3

Not many may remember her, but the only pair of signed shoes I have are from former Northern Ballet (Theatre) principal Lorena Vidal. I won them when I was 14 for designing a badge for the Young Friends of NBT, which was then produced and sent out to Friends. I was so crazily excited to receive them that they probably meant as much to me back then as if they were Darcey Bussell's! I also had a poster signed by my favourite dancer from NBT back then- Jayne Regan.

• Like 3

Not many may remember her, but the only pair of signed shoes I have are from former Northern Ballet (Theatre) principal Lorena Vidal. I won them when I was 14 for designing a badge for the Young Friends of NBT, which was then produced and sent out to Friends. I was so crazily excited to receive them that they probably meant as much to me back then as if they were Darcey Bussell's! I also had a poster signed by my favourite dancer from NBT back then- Jayne Regan.

If I could have any dancer's pointe shoes right now it would be Alina Cojocaru's or Marianela Nunez's.

• Like 1

Oh I loved Lorena Vidal!  At the 40th Anniversary Alumni performance of Christmas Carol in 2009 she danced the Ghost of Christmas Past and it was as though the years had just rolled away.  William Walker danced Bob Cratchitt!

• Like 2

Bryony Brind very kindly gave me two pairs of her shoes in the mid 1980s - one for me and one for my sister. The signatures on mine have now almost completely disappeared, but I treasure them so much.

• Like 7

Mine are cheats and I bow down before all those who have shoes that have been signed and actually WORN by the dancers. When I say they are cheats, I mean that I often take pointe shoes that i have bought cheaply online, to the stage door, and ask dancers to sign them. So the signatures are genuine, but the shoes didn't belong to the dancers. Sigh.

None of the lovely dancers have ever said no, so I have 2 pairs of shoes signed by Alina Cojocaru, Tamara Rojo, Carlos Acosta, Gary Avis (who said that in all his long career, he had never been asked to sign pointe shoes before!),Natalia Osipova Alina Somova and Svetlana Zakharova. When they sign, they are always interested to see which other dancers have already signed them!

Needless to say, they live in a special glass case.

I suppose they might have said they didn't want to sign if they weren't their own shoes, but no-one ever has. I do wonder why more dancers don't sign and sell off old shoes. I'm sure there would be a long list if people who would want them. Me me me for one!

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 4

[quote name="cavycapers" post="163035" timestamp="1458644421

I do wonder why more dancers don't sign and sell off old shoes. I'm sure there would be a long list if people who would want them. Me me me for one!

I imagine as the shoes are purchased by the company they don't belong to the dancers to then sell on. Probably why there is a basket of used pointe shoes for sale at Northern Ballet headquarters.

I imagine as the shoes are purchased by the company they don't belong to the dancers to then sell on. Probably why there is a basket of used pointe shoes for sale at Northern Ballet headquarters.

Or possibly I suggested it as a minor way of fund-raising!

• Like 2

I am sure that the pointe shoes belong to the dancers, and they could sell them on, if there was thought to be some market for this. I think unless you are a very well known dancer, there wouldn't be much of a demand at all, so instead of throwing them, the theatre can raise a little money with them (once nudged in the right direction by Janet ;) )

• Like 1

From what I've read online, I think it's quite common for American ballet companies to sell signed shoes during the interval. Some companies sell shoes via their websites - the Austalian Ballet being one example, although it appears as though it is only shoes worn by the corps.

Here is a video about the making and unmaking of pointe shoes - worth watching if only for the end, which explains the thumbnail.

• Like 1

I have assumed that nowadays dancers wouldn't be allowed to give away signed shoes since (sadly, in a way) they do potentially have a market value (to the company) - they're sometimes offered as raffle/auction prizes etc. So I thought that such gestures belonged to more innocent times! Would be nice if not in fact the case.

That's true, they do have a potential market value to the company, which makes me wonder why we never see that potential realised and see them for sale at the RB or the ENB. The ROH even has a shop!

Maybe there's some complicated reason.

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 1

That's true, they do have a potential market value to the company, which makes me wonder why we never see that potential realised and see them for sale at the RB or the ENB. The ROH even has a shop!

Maybe there's some complicated reason.

The smell a pile of used pointe shoes would emit?!

• Like 2

Oh I loved Lorena Vidal!  At the 40th Anniversary Alumni performance of Christmas Carol in 2009 she danced the Ghost of Christmas Past and it was as though the years had just rolled away.  William Walker danced Bob Cratchitt!

I'm so glad someone remembers her! I loved her in that role. It must have been wonderful to be there for the alumni performance!

Mine are cheats and I bow down before all those who have shoes that have been signed and actually WORN by the dancers. When I say they are cheats, I mean that I often take pointe shoes that i have bought cheaply online, to the stage door, and ask dancers to sign them. So the signatures are genuine, but the shoes didn't belong to the dancers. Sigh.

None of the lovely dancers have ever said no, so I have 2 pairs of shoes signed by Alina Cojocaru, Tamara Rojo, Carlos Acosta, Gary Avis (who said that in all his long career, he had never been asked to sign pointe shoes before!),Natalia Osipova Alina Somova and Svetlana Zakharova. When they sign, they are always interested to see which other dancers have already signed them!

Needless to say, they live in a special glass case.

I suppose they might have said they didn't want to sign if they weren't their own shoes, but no-one ever has. I do wonder why more dancers don't sign and sell off old shoes. I'm sure there would be a long list if people who would want them. Me me me for one!

I think that's a brilliant idea! I would love to see those shoes! 

• Like 1