Symphony Hall 25th Anniversary Concert - 15th April

trog

"Symphony Hall’s Resident Orchestra, the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, will be joined by three artists who all celebrate their 25ths in 2016: conductor Jamie Phillips was born and raised in Birmingham and is well on his way to becoming a major international success; pianist Lukas Geniušas was one of the winners of the recent XV International Tchaikovsky Competition and makes his Birmingham debut; and the composer Ryan Latimer, a graduate of Birmingham Conservatoire who has already made his mark on the industry, has been commissioned to create a new work to mark the 25th Birthday.

At the centre is Stravinsky’s Firebird – the work that was performed at the hall’s official opening (then conducted by a bright young thing by the name of Simon Rattle). This colourful masterpiece, telling of the downfall of a powerful, ogre-like figure of evil, Kastchei the Deathless, through the intervention of a beautiful rare bird, is paired with the product of a 25-year-old Grieg: his much-loved Piano Concerto.

Bargain price too - £10! http://www.thsh.co.uk//event/the-next-25/

I am a huge fan of Symphony Hall - and particularly the egalitarian design: the tickets of choice for the folks who work there are up at the back (the cheap ones!).  Acoustics are just superb.

Huge fan of Jamie Phillips too - he was/is conductor of the Halle Youth Orchestra.  My daughter would not have the musical aspirations she has today without his leadership.

The tickets are even more of a bargain than highlighted above - they are free for under 25s.  Can feel a family visit looming ..

Maybe a 10 minute walk from New Street station - a walk up New Street, through Fletchers Walk maybe (the library is being demolished and I have no idea as to how you get through that, but I guess there are signs), into Centenary Square and it's at the far end.