Amateur ballet dancer has prosthetic pointe shoe...

Jan McNulty

There was a video posted on Facebook yesterday of a girl that had to have her lorwer leg amputated due to cancer.

She had major surgery and a prosthetic so she could dance en pointe again.

I have no idea how to link it to this page I'm complete technophobe ...... I am in complete admiration of the true determination of these young ladies.

• Like 3

Can`t imagine going through something like that. I`ve been watching Jeremy Kyle`s Emergency Room the last couple of weeks. [i rarely watch his normal show; it is just trashy TV in my opinion],but this new show he presents is quite interesting. About a week ago one of the patients had had cancer in his penis and had to have it removed. The poor man. Makes you count your blessings. I have emotional/psychological problems but they are frankly nothing compared to what some people have to endure.

It most certainly makes one count ones blessings, to overcome traumatic damage and then continued surgery must've been an horrendous experience but, to then be able to have this prosthetic limb made to enable her to one day Dance again must be nothing short of miraculous, she must have real strength of character and real determination to succeed to overcome the amputation to start with let alone to Dance again with it, utterly in awe of anyone like this, so humbling.

Edited by Goz
  • Like 1

I think the dancer Hairbelles referred to is part of the facebook page DancersvsCancer that follows the stories of mostly children affected by cancer.  I cannot link to the video of the girl dancing but I think this is her story:

http://www.morethandancers.com/february-spotlight-gabi-shull/

It is indeed frightening to see what horrors some children/people have to go through and I too am totally in awe.

A teenager from my area will soon feature on the TV makeover program (with Nick Knowles) - the name of the program escapes me - as they adapt her home to allow her to get home from hospital. Sadly, her dancing days are over but her strength and her support for her friends still at local ballet school is amazing

• Like 1

It is indeed very hard - my grandson is a bilateral amputee (born without tibias) and is due for further surgery this summer. He is fantastic at wheelchair basketball and training for the Junior GB squad.

Better prosthetics are available when they are fully grown (doesn't everything always come down to cost), but the fact that this prosthetic pointe shoe was made is really inspiring !

I watch with interest the advances that have been made with war amputees, which gives me hope for better prosthetics for my grandson in the future although it's very sad that tragedy has brought about these advances .

• Like 2