Move It 2016

taxi4ballet

Gosh its loud here!

OMG yes!  We had a good day in spite of dd not being able to do any classes as they were all full.  But got loads of info about the different schools and I was pleased to see there are loads of opportunities for full time training from 18.  Dd still wants to audition at 16 though.  Lots to think about.  

Bought dd a turn board and a foot stretcher.

• Like 1

It has previously been at the Olympia and I must say I did prefer it there compared to the Excel. The Olympia had the benefit of the glass roof which made it a lot lighter as it seemed so dark there. The balcony around the whole venue at the Olympia was great as you could go up there to watch the main stage as well as the freestyle stage. It also allowed for more room to sit and eat lunch/rest up.

The benefits of the Excel were that there was more of a choice for food as you could go outside into the area around the main part to eat and be let back in ( stamp on hand).

• Like 1

One question ?

Why would you book your young (aged 8-10 ish) year old child into an Advanced RAD ballet class suitable for Internediate/Advdnced grade dancers when there were both aged 10 & above & Grade 4 level classes plus beginner classes available.

The class was way too crowded but it was taught using minimal demonstration just using terminology (dd had to think occasionally as her teacher often uses The Russisn terminology sometimes)

One question ?

Why would you book your young (aged 8-10 ish) year old child into an Advanced RAD ballet class suitable for Internediate/Advdnced grade dancers when there were both aged 10 & above & Grade 4 level classes plus beginner classes available.

The class was way too crowded but it was taught using minimal demonstration just using terminology (dd had to think occasionally as her teacher often uses The Russisn terminology sometimes)

No wonder it was crowded!  How can a 10 yr old be at advanced level.  

Olympia was a better venue, although I agree the food options are better at Excel.

I don't think I'll be going next year, one of the classes I went to had already started...they were 2 counts of 8 into a routine when I turned up 1 min before the class was meant to start. This also happened to a friend of mine in another class. People have paid for these classes and the timetable should be stuck to, it was very unprofessional!

2 other classes I went to were great, but I found the instructor in the 4th very rude.

I also didn't like the studios being so enclosed this year, you had to plead with the people on the 'door' to be able to sit in and watch a friend take a class. It was a much more chilled environment when the studios were more open.

We did have a good day out, but it did not meet our expectations when compared to previous years.

There was a slot on MainStage dedicated to all the different dancewear manufacturers who were exhibiting. Each had chosen (or were allocated?) a different school to perform in their stuff.

Ah, I didn't know that. Good idea. Saves the schools money on costumes and good publicity for the dancewear manufacturers at the same time.

Gita and I attended the show at the ExCel on Sunday.

The first shock was the parking. £15 per day!  "By heck!" said I. "They're having a laugh" said Gita. There was no way two Yorkshire women would fork out that kind of brass on parking so we cruised around the neighbourhood until we found a quiet residential street with no yellow lines or resident parking restrictions on the other side of the dock connected to the ExCel Centre by a footbridge.

We arrived just a few minutes after Catalyst Dance's Entrance of the Swans had started which is the one class that I would really like to have done. Perhaps I should have paid the £15 after all.

The second shock was the cost of admission. We could have saved ourselves £4 by booking in advance but our decision to see the show was made at the last minute. We were in Chelmsford for The Sleeping Beauty on Saturday night so we moseyed on down the M11 to the ExCel Centre before heading back North.

We paid £19 each just to get in. Once inside we saw Darcey Bussell on the main stage as well as Boadicea which I quite enjoyed.  I also managed to make contact with all the exhibitors I wanted to see and picked up complimentary copies of The Stage and Dancing Times to offset the admission fee.

Gita attended a talk which she enjoyed very much. "Could be the best £4 I've ever spent" she said afterwards.

There are worse ways of spending a Sunday afternoon but there also far less expensive ways,