Easter dance courses

Lemongirl

She said it's not suitable as there will be a lot of vocational students and associates and dd is neither.  Although Central say she should be fine.  If the standard was of such importance it would be by audition?  Anyway the teacher has said no and won't sign the form so no point asking again.

That's a shame - I have had various pupils do Central Spring and Summer courses over the years, and as applicatons are first come, first served, it does work for non vocational students.

What about the Ballet Boost mentioned in my post no. 3.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 1

She said it's not suitable as there will be a lot of vocational students and associates and dd is neither.  Although Central say she should be fine.  If the standard was of such importance it would be by audition?  Anyway the teacher has said no and won't sign the form so no point asking again.

Er... I'm rather lost for words at this.

• Like 2

Harwel I did think about doing that but didn't want to rock the boat. She would have been really cross if she found out dd went after her saying no. And we'd upset her over another issue recently so we're not in her good books!

Maybe it's time to look for another teacher.

• Like 7

I think that a lot of teachers forget that we pay them & they provide a service for us (our children) not the other way around. They don't own our children & all decisions should be made in their best interests.

Saying that sometimes professional judgment has to be trusted. Are there any underlying issues at all. Has your dd had a knock in confidence for example, is she of the correct technical ability for the course (IF or Inter for Central I think) how does she cope in class under pressure.

My dd had a bad year 7 & that year we specifically avoided summer schools known to be attended by children from certain vocational schools as she needed her confidence building up again for example.

• Like 3

Maybe it's time to look for another teacher.

You took the words right out of my mouth Jane!

Lemongirl, your dd needs support and motivation from her dance teacher. They should be encouraging her to stretch herself and to take every possible opportunity to attend courses and workshops on top of her regular dance training IMHO.

Basically by refusing to sign the form the teacher is giving out the message that they don't think your dd is good enough to hold her own among other dancers the same age. What is this negativity doing to your dd's self-confidence, I wonder?

• Like 2

If she doesn't try how will you ever know? My dd was also a 'neither'  - four years ago, 'for a laugh' we applied for a holiday course at ENB. To our utter astonishment she was offered a place, went, enjoyed it and has been doing such courses ever since.

My DD has been going to Easter and Summer Schools since she was 8 and likes the mixture of vocational and non vocational.  When it comes down to it they are all children who love dance and often get on better with those they go to school with as they have so much in common.  

• Like 2

Just to say about the central course, I know of someone who is non voc, non assoc, only has RAD grade 2 exam and working at Grade 3, recently on pointe by one month and she's doing the day with authorisation from her dance teacher. I'm only saying this to give a bit of comparison.

I think sometimes teachers can just lose track or become a bit out of touch with the audience the course is for and just make assumptions.

I've just come from a place where it was all about being in good books and not getting in bad books and to be honest it was all a load of rubbish and no excuses other than to be controlling so I hope that you can avoid sticky situations in future lemon girl :) sympathise with you

• Like 1

My DD is grade 3, IF and doing the central Easter school day. I rang Central, they were very helpful and completely understanding when I explained change of syllabus half way through grade 1 slowed us down, so thats why DD isn't yet in grade 4. My DD is desperate to try Central and can't wait for Wednesday to come. As a newbie to all theses extra classes outside normal classes my advice speak to the schools directly, experience from other things like EYB, and other associate classes count just as much as the vocational grades.

• Like 2