Audition Leotard

balletmum13

There are lots of threads about audition leotards. :-) Jan is right and you can also just search for "leotard". Here's another one: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/11790-audition-leotards-and-colours/?hl=leotard

Alternatively, you can click on the "leotards" tag under the thread title and you will see a list of threads on the same subject.

Usually the advice on here has been to wear a simple ballet leotard (that doesn't have straps that will be fiddled with!!). In our experience, colour has never really mattered much, but if your dc would like a different brighter colour that's fine. If they feel good, and are confident and happy wearing it, then that's the one to go for.

Try and find a leotard that has a nice leg line ie; nothing with 'bucket' knickers, something higher legged that makes her legs look nice and long and an elastic belt in either the same or a pretty contrasting colour. I wouldn't personally go for something that had a different colour or fabric in the upper half of the body, but all one colour that suits her skin tone.

• 4 weeks later...

My dd has got this leotard in lilac and burgundy.

Which colour would be best for a 13 year old?

Also, what colour ballet belt could we use for the leotards (we can't find a burgundy one for the burgundy leotard so what other colour would be ok?)?

Thanks x

• Like 1

Maybe it's an NZ thing, but I have never seen a kid wear one of those weird 'belts' (bits of elastic?). What are they for? Not holding anything up, obvs, but are they meant to help define your waist, or what? I find them a rather quaint idea (and am glad to have one less thing for DD to lose!)

Well, they're not compulsory for RAD exams (graded or vocational) here! I guess dance schools set rules and then everyone thinks it's the same everywhere, like putting ribbons on ballet shoes. Perhaps it is all to add to the mystique  :ph34r:

They are optional for higher grades and vocational exams at RAD HQ. I think belts are useful for younger dancers (if fitted properly - the amount of little ones I've seen, wearing belts too loose practically at hip level!), but they are not obligatory for older students.

RAD Rules, Regulations and Specifications do clearly mention the belt as a uniform requirement. The description below is from their specification for grades 4 & 5.

"Sleeveless or short sleeved scooped neck leotard in pale pink, teal, red, mulberry / fuchsia, lavender, navy, burgundy or dark green (any matt effect fabric), with matching elasticated belt"

However, RAD also clearly state that students will not be assessed on their uniform so I guess some schools simply choose not to follow the guidelines.

• Like 1

It always used to be that in RAD the belt was optional, but it might have changed. Either way, some teachers (including an examiner I know) don't like the look of them. I personally do not like the trend of a belt in a different colour to the leotard, (in case anyone is wondering the only reason why the MIDAS level 1 belts don't match the leotards is because I wanted the wider elastic which only comes in white!). In my opinion waist elastic belts are to aid students in feeling the use of their abdominal muscles which is why in younger students I prefer them to have wider belts. Also for this reason, the belts must always be tightly fitting. As for using them for visual/aesthetic reasons, I would think that decent teachers or examiners do not need a belt to know whether a dancers arms are in the right place, or if their hips are aligned correctly, they can just use their eyes and knowledge of the body and its bony landmarks although in an audition situation where there are a lot of dancers they're a quicker reference tool.

• Like 1

That's surprising Cara as they are listed in the official RAD exam attire whereas ribbons on shoes etc are not.

Oh well, the Chair of the RAD Board of Examiners is the head teacher at our studio, so if she doesn't mind then I guess it's not compulsory! (We have never had them and I've never seen a NZ dancer wearing one)

Are you connected to the company 77dancer as all your posts so far have been to reccomend the brand apart from one asking about a dance photographer (for a dancewear photo shoot maybe

No problem if that's the case, I'm always looking for new & different dancewear for dd, I think you just need to put something in your signature if that's the case.

Are you connected to the company 77dancer as all your posts so far have been to reccomend the brand apart from one asking about a dance photographer (for a dancewear photo shoot maybe

No problem if that's the case, I'm always looking for new & different dancewear for dd, I think you just need to put something in your signature if that's the case.

The Mods are already dealing with this, Pictures. :-)

• Like 1