Ermonela Jaho / ROH Trittico

Geoff

Wow oh wow, Ermonela Jaho, who I had never seen before, is the real deal. Just had my breath taken away and my heart broken by Jaho in Suor Angelica (middle show of ROH Trittico one-acters). Can't wait to see her again.

Nothing to say about the rest of the evening (didn't stay as the thought of singers from the first show reappearing after Suor Angelica suggested they might spoil a peak experience). Go, if at all possible, and see the wondrous Ermonela Jaho.

Extraordinary coughing, though, particularly from the amphitheatre (the quieter she sang, the more they coughed). Audience then somewhat made amends with a standing ovation for her.

Wow oh wow, Ermonela Jaho, who I had never seen before, is the real deal. Just had my breath taken away and my heart broken by Jaho in Suor Angelica (middle show of ROH Trittico one-acters). Can't wait to see her again.

There's a reason I've booked for every single performance in this run... and last night's was definitely the best one yet.  I was so pleased about that standing ovation.

• Like 1

It was one of those performances of a lifetime and the standing ovation was just the icing on the cake.

I'm afraid I'm generally in the camp of those who feel that standing ovations have become so prevalent that their impact is often devalued. Not so on this occasion - the ovation was clearly the result of an overwhelming and spontaneous audience reaction and the curtain calls were almost unbelievably moving.

Edited by MichelleS
  • Like 2

I didn't want to join in the standing ovation because I was in the front row of the Stalls Circle in a position which would have blocked a lot of people's views behind me, and I hate it when I'm sitting further back and people in front of me stand and block my view...

Also because - and I know this sounds weird - I never feel like applauding her at all when she gives a performance like that.  I always just want to give her a big hug :(

• Like 1

Nothing to say about the rest of the evening (didn't stay as the thought of singers from the first show reappearing after Suor Angelica suggested they might spoil a peak experience). Go, if at all possible, and see the wondrous Ermonela Jaho.

Extraordinary coughing, though, particularly from the amphitheatre (the quieter she sang, the more they coughed). Audience then somewhat made amends with a standing ovation for her.

Breathtaking, heartbreaking, and the rest! I saw her last time round when she stood in for, Harteros, I think it was. It would be, wouldn't it? She was good then but seems now to have taken it to another level.

Can't say I noticed too much coughing the night I was there. Actually you could have heard a pin drop for much of the time, unlike Saturday's Traviata when the amphi audience was hacking away more consistently than the occupants of an entire TB ward. Pity the poor consumptive on stage!

Can't say I noticed too much coughing the night I was there

On 3rd March there was wave after wave of undisciplined coughing (no efforts made to stifle the sound), particularly during quiet passages, almost as if some people were bored by "nothing happening". Yet the stalls stood up and gave Jaho a sincere standing ovation.

When I went back on the 8th, nobody coughed but there was no standing ovation either. Jaho was wonderful again. Apparently she is coming back next season as Butterfly.