grand jete en tournant tips

Primaballerina1

Hi all, DD is twelve has recently started Grade 5 ballet and is struggling with her grand jete en tournants. Does anyone have any tips for her to help get them better as she is taking her exam at summer/xmas?

Ps. she is often a little dainty when she does them as she doesn't want to fall in front of her whole class.????

These are hard. I teach them with the students first doing 3 runs into a hop with a grande battement devant, whilst taking the arms from 2nd on the runs to 5th/En Couronne on the hop. I encourage them to get as much jump height on this hop as they can.

Next I walk through the action of turning around - so doing 3 walks with arms in 2nd, grand battement devant taking arms to 5th then stepping onto that leg (that was in the air) and at the same time, turning 1/2 way and doing a grande battement derriere whilst bringing the arms from 5th downwards and forwards to demi-bras.

The emphasis on the correct ports de bras is very important (IMO).

• Like 2

Primaballerina1, I fell over doing these a couple of years ago when I was taught them. Luckily I was only with my ballet teacher and a good friend and they didn't laugh. I felt such a fool but my teacher said that every ballet dancer falls at least once and that unless you did, you weren't a proper dancer.

In my (adult) class, we've spent a lot of time walking through the action as drdance has described, which helped build our confidence before we started jumping, and got us used to the feeling of switching the legs as you turn (rather than swinging them around). We do three steps as preparation and my teacher always tells us to do big step + big step + small step pushing into the ground so our weight is over our leg before we start to jump. Hope that helps!

If she has the confidence to do them, it will make it much easier. Although I am not an expert in ballet, when leading any skill for any sport such as learning a walkover in gymnastics, when you have confidence it makes it much easier and you are more likely to succeed.

It's a really advanced exercise - I am rather surprised that ISTD do them so early.  What she has to think about is not to make it a round movement - ideally the legs should go straight up and down. Think of throwing the first leg up to the front facing the back corner and then twist to the front landing on that front leg, but bringing the other leg up into arabesque.  The changeover is supposed to happen in the air as high as you can, but if you do the movement first without jumping it should help her understand what she's aiming for.

I learned them similar to the way Dr Dance describes and also down the barre - we were allowed to push off it a bit to begin with to help get the "up" feeling - it helped! Defo think of a good push off on the hop, to get right up to give time to change legs. My teacher used to go mad if we did a dainty little gallop into them, need to do the three good steps! The steps are the travelling bit more than the actual jump really.

• Like 1