York scholars junior scholarship advice

marieact

I'm a complete novice in the world of ballet despite my dd attending classes for 6 yrs. she's 9yrs now and wants to apply for York scholars. The application form says they will not offer auditions to everyone and my question is what they will base that decision on? My dd has taken grade 1 (merit) and is due to take grade 2 in 3 weeks. She has her dance teachers agreement to audition. Any advice is very much welcomed thanks x

Hi marieact, I know nothing about the scheme, but from our own audition experience they are mainly looking for 'potential' in the younger kids, which includes body type/build, flexibility and alignment – and obviously at the audition they are looking at musicality etc. They may select people to audition from photos, I suppose? Our Scholars scheme auditions all applicants but still asks for head and full-length photos.

Thank you both. They have asked for a head shot but no body shots. In previous years, I believe they have auditioned everyone. I suspect demand is now outweighing resource and they are having to make tough decisions. I'll keep you informed. Thanks x