Any Junior Associate results out yet?

Nana's Taxi

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, thanks everyone. Just seen her looking at sparkly sandals on the next website and singing at the top of her voice. She is giggling with her sister so hopefully the disappointment is going to last. Best of luck to everyone, I really hope you get that special letter xxxx

So sorry Ameliemum, am glad she's feeling better about it already.

Now we have a dilemma .. my dd (8 year old) has got swl for London OR a place at Eastleigh (even though we didn't apply for Eastleigh!) ... was not prepared for that at all so athough we're delighted it's not a no, we now have a huge decision to make.

Dd fell in love with London and is happy to hold out for swl ... but what if she doesn't get in, and then gets a no next year? Will she regret not accepting Eastleigh? But if she does accept Eastleigh then she won't ever get to go to London, and London would be much more convenient for work reasons, easier journey, etc. and she loved it so much there.

And they've only given us until Friday to decide - help! - what should we do ??

Shashee

Firstly congtratulations to your DD, you must be so proud. My advice to you, having been through the whole JA thing is that if you can get to Eastleigh then definately take the place. However let the RB know that you'd like to transfer if a place becomes available but make it about distance to travel as apposed to liking London best. You can always apply to transfer next year, it does happen that children move between centres.

These places are so far and few between that if you have the opportunity and if its at all feasible its best to grab it whilst its on offer. The experience of being a JA is very enjoyable and only a priviledged few get chosen. There'll be a lot of other Mums and daughters/sons that would love to have your dilema. :) Goodluck!

• Like 4

Shashee,

My DS was a J.A at Eastleigh and during the year he went up to london on a number of ocassions. The venue at Eastleigh is of a very High standard and is easy to get to by car or Train. I would agree that it is hard enough to get a place and the J.A's in my DS year and previous years have done well to with many going into vocational school and futher associate training.X

Thanks Loulabelle for the advice, we'll definitely sleep on it .. do you think they might let us visit Eastleigh? Dd might be more keen on the idea having been there .. sorry, don't mean to sound disappointed, am very proud of her, just wasn't expecting to have to make such a big decision. Thanks again, good to hear they can move between venues x

Shashee,

My DS was a J.A at Eastleigh and during the year he went up to london on a number of ocassions. The venue at Eastleigh is of a very High standard and is easy to get to by car or Train. I would agree that it is hard enough to get a place and the J.A's in my DS year and previous years have done well too with many going into vocational school and futher associate training.X

The studio is excellent with air conditioning. There is a nice area outside the studio where you can sit and chat to other parents or catch up on work or read a book. Great when its raining! There is also a nice cafe where you can get a hot meal all inside the venue. There is a shopping centre and main shopping area just round the corner.

The Teacher is wonderful and highly respected by parents and students alike.

• Like 1

We got a yes for London for my DS !!! This is a hat trick for us! Our third JA and will have 2 from September at different times of the day!!My son is so excited about it and we are very proud!

Well done to all the yes letters and sorry to all the nos, do try again though.

x

• Like 4

Shashee - I echo what the others have said - and I do understand falling in love with the London venue, but you have to ask yourself what the purpose is of your child going to JAs - it's about the training and the opportunity to be seen by the RBS etc, not where you do it.

As Loulabelle said - tell them that it would be much easier for you to get to London, so please can you be considered for a place there if one comes up.

And well done to everyone else with places - it's a lovely experience to have even if it's your only time spent with the RBS!

• Like 2

If you can possibly get to Eastleigh I would definitely take the place, and as others have advised, ask RBS to consider a transfer to London if a place should arise. But regardless of venue and performance opportunities, it's excellent training you'd be benefitting from at Eastleigh in the meantime.

I echo what others are saying - accept Eastleigh but ask to move to London if a place becomes available. In the meantime try and concentrate on the advantages of Eastleigh. Once you have been trawling up to London for several months/years the lovely Upper School premises and Covent Garden compare less favourably with availability of parking, somewhere warm and dry to wait, the opportunity to sit and chat to other parents and get a coffee/something to eat that doesn't cost the earth! I have no knowledge of Eastleigh but the studios must be up to RBS standard i.e. suitable floor, heating etc and the teaching will be the same standard at all the centres.

• Like 2

Dear Shashee

Huge congratulations to your daughter. If you look at the RBS statistics for 2010/2011 you see that nearly 1000 girls auditioned for JAs, and just over 100 got in. Given this sort of statistic it is an amazing result to be offered Eastleigh. I would grab it with both hands asap! So many girls audition so it must mean your daughter has excellent potential.

I am quite new to this forum. My son applied to JAs last year when he was 8 and we got a friendly "no but come and see us again next year letter". I met a kind mum at his audition last year who told me to definitely apply again if he got turned down, as her older/oldest son had got turned down the first year he applied and got in the second! Anyway, we did apply and I am very pleased to say he got in - so he'll be going in as a Year 5! It is both scary and so exciting! Not sure how I am going to juggle all the travel to London - expect I may spend quite a few hours at the London Transport Museum with the younger ones!

• Like 2

Thanks Suzyszoo, and many congratulations to your son too, you must both be so thrilled.. hope he enjoys it (while you enjoy the transport museum!) It's tough juggling ballet with other dcs, especially if they're younger and/or not into ballet at all, as is my case! Best of luck x

I wonder if anyone could kindly answer my questions, if able.

1. When is the year 5 JA lesson in London (I know it may change but just wondered what it is at mo).

2. How long is the class?

3. We are down to do 24 lessons. Will that be it or will there be other rehearsals etc?

4. My son is going to be doing JA in year 5. Will he automatically get into year 6 or do we have to apply/audition again?

5. Do you think it is realistic to start thinking that he might actually get into a vocational school at 11? Eg. White Lodge/Elmhurst. I am wondering, do 1 in 100 JAs do this, or 1 in 10? or 1 in 5 etc? Of course there is less competition for boys than girls. Just want to know if this is something that I should think about being a possibility. I know it's still early days!

Thanks in advance for any info/replies!

We have just been through audition year for a year 7 place so I have a few figures floating round in my head. I won't be the least bit offended if I get corrected by someone more in the know as these are things I have heard from other mums who may have got their info from staff at the schools on audition day or from other parents.

In answer to your questions 1. I don't know sorry. 2.JA class is 2 and quarter hours. 3. There may be more if you son gets asked to be in performances with RB or BRB eg Nutcracker at Christmas, Sleeping Beauty, Alice etc. 4. He won't have to re audition for year 6 and as long as he is working hard and enjoying it he should be ok. 5. Always good to think ahead about auditions but apart from keeping up his training making sure he is happy and healthy there is not much more you could be doing right now. Ok here are the numbers (Please feel free to correct me people), apparently 700 girls and 300 boys auditioned for White Lodge this year. They have twenty four beds, twelve for each. I don't know the exact number of auditionees at Elmhurst but they said they had a record number of applicants this year so I'm guessing it will be similar to White Lodge. I think they took twelve girls and eight boys at Elm. Out of those 1000 odd kids who applied I don't know what proportion were JA's but I do know that the kids with places at either school are more likely to be JA's/Elmhurst Associates.Not all probably, but most. I'm afraid I have no information on Tring or The Hammond but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can help.

On the Eastleigh/London debate....I feel we can comment as we did 2 years at Eastleigh and 1 in London.

There is not a great deal of difference between them as they follow the RBS associates programme ...altho' one or two exercises might be a bit different. I don't see any difference in the standard of the dancing in either centre. The teacher in Eastleigh is fab and my daughter also loves her London associate teacher. The Eastleigh JAs get the opportunity to audition for productions and are invited to company rehearsals like the London kids. The one thing I feel they miss out on are the historical dance opportunities that the London dancers get to perform at eg White Lodge Open day. More expensive a day out in London...the cafe is in situ at the Point...a purpose build dance building. I would thoroughly recommend taking the Eastleigh place and take things as they come. 3 of last years JAs went up to London this year because there was a change in family circumstances. Once u are in the system it seems easier to move about.

Well done to your dd on the place and good luck for the future.

• Like 3

Thank you so much kiwimum - that is very helpful, especially as you have experience of both. What is your dd doing from September? May I ask why you moved her to London (please tell me to mind my own business if you'd rather not say - I won't be offended!)? Good to know the option of moving between centres is definitely there, and that your dd has enjoyed both so much.

We're half way between the two centres, but hubby is often in London on Saturdays for work, which is the main reason we applied for London in the first place, so perhaps that would be a valid reason to ask for a transfer?

Will definitely accept Eastleigh and see how it goes, thanks kiwimum and everyone else for all the advice.

the things we do!!

My twins will both be yr 6 Jas in Sept, one boy, one girl. Their classes will be opposite ends of the day!! Completely mad but we will do it somehow!!

Crikey, twins! You must be an extremely proud mum. I wonder if there are any other JA twins...

• Like 1

Sorry, last few questions, how many children are there per class at Eastleigh? Is it the same number in all the centres? I think I read somewhere that the year 4s are with the year 5s, does anyone know what time their class is at the moment? I know it could be different next year, as it looks like they've increased the number of sessions from 24 to 30. Thanks again x

Crikey, twins! You must be an extremely proud mum. I wonder if there are any other JA twins...

We have known of at least 3 sets of twins at RBS, but they have all been identical.

My younger dd danced with 2 sets of twins over the 3 years with RB associates....

Shashee you can't pass up this amazing opportunity like most have posted there may be some movement at London and a place with become available at a later date.

Yes I am very proud, I am sure there have ben a few twins over the years and I did know of some at WL. My eldest daughter was a JA too so its a hat trick for us!! Very funny really that they have all wanted to do it!