Question re different 'systems' of training at vocational schools in UK

amos73

I just wondered if anyone who has had experience of vocational schools can shed any light on the different systems of training that are given at schools such as Royal, Elmhurst, Tring.

It struck me that although these schools are applied to by prospective students very often it isn't with knowledge of the actual system of training that different schools offer.

So, for instance, I have heard people talk about the Royal 'system' although there is not anything I can find out as such about what this actually involves. It seems shrouded in mystery in fact! 

And in terms of how this would differ from the training you would get at Elmhurst or Tring, is there any way of finding out?

It just struck me as a little odd that one might merrily send one's child off to such establishments without really knowing what their type of training involves, so I would be really interested in hearing from anyone who has such knowledge, maybe through their DC who have trained at these schools or taught themselves at them.

• Like 2

Brilliant question! I don't even know if all the vocational schools are non syllabus or some still follow RAD etc in addition to their own system? Hope some experts on here can shed some light for us all.

• Like 1

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong - but if you are talking about ballet syllabi

Tring do RAD and Ceccetti

Elmhurst RAD

Hammond RAD

Moorlands Ceccetti

Royal - not sure

Tring do ISTD tap and modern exams

Hammond ". "

I don't think Elmhurst do exams in tap and modern , nor Royal .

I believe that the 'system of training' used at RBS and Elmhurst have been carefully designed to build up and cover certain steps/elements in certain years, in the same way that an RAD/Cecchetti method would do, but the exercises per se are unset (although I'd love to know if the choreography for each years assessment class is the same year in year out). Also these schools have in-house stylistic elements for example Royal has a big emphasis on head/eye line early on (in my opinion) while Elmhurst's system has influence from David Bintley's choreography (for example, particular lines that he likes done in a certain way). 

The RBS 'system of training' begins at JA year 4 with certain steps being called certain things and done a certain way (eg balance de cote RBS style has a front foot that picks up to coup de pied which I have not seen anywhere else) - I know this from watching JA classes where the teacher has often said something like "you might do this differently at your own dance school but based on the School system of training this is how we want you to do it when you're with us".

• Like 2