Hubert Essakow: Terra, London, February 2016

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the rehearsal of Hubert Essakow's 'Terra' at the Print Room at the Coronet in Notting Hill.
Here are some sample photos...

25133887592_477b19ba10_z.jpg
Benjamin Warbis, Luke Crook
© Foteini Christofilopoulou.
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

24623821183_b64872ed3c_z.jpg
Monique Jonas
© Foteini Christofilopoulou.

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Hubert Essakow - 'Terra'

I saw this last night and was very impressed. Lovely dancing, and a story about the birth, life and death of Mother Earth after humans had been and gone (that is my interpretation, anyway!). A very engaging small troupe of dancers called The Print Room Dance Group gave an excellent interpretation of Hubert Essakow's touching choreography. With music by Jean-Michel Bernard and a recording of Ben Okri reading his own beautiful poetry about Mother Earth, there was something to please all the senses. The set was also impressive: it was like a long-forgotten junk room, pale and dusty and almost apocalyptic in its desolation.

The venue is really amazing. The Coronet used to be a movie house, but they have been converting it into this lovely little theatre, The Print Room. It is still a work in progress, but I love the small things, like every seat having a blanket on it to make you more comfortable. When we arrived to collect the tickets at 6.30 we saw a 'bar' sign. Upon asking we found that it was open, so we followed signs down darkly lit corridors to a staircase. When I say darkly lit, I mean with red lights, giving the impression of a Victorian brothel because of the bits of furniture and pictures lining the route! We were therefore expecting a dingy little bar, but wow, what a surprise! You go in and it is a very large space, furnished to look like a Victorian or early 20th century living room. Fascinating snippets of lives gone by hang on the walls, the lighting is subdued, it is lovely and quiet so that you can have a conversation, there is a mix of tables and armchairs/couches to sit on, table lamps, bookshelves...and a sloping floor (luckily we didn't drink too much!). You have a choice of wine, beer or spirits; no fancy cocktails here. The prices are really reasonable, so much so that we splurged on a very large glass of Shiraz (£6.00). When they rang the bell to take our seats, I still had half a glass left, so I asked the barman if I could take it in with me (something I usually disapprove of, but it seemed to be that kind of a place). Not only could I take it in, but he poured it into a plastic cup....a plastic wine glass so it still looked classy! All these small touches I loved. The only thing to know is that they only take cash....luckily my friend had some... :) I would definitely go there for a drink even if I weren't seeing a production.

The theatre and the bar have been operational for less than a year, and I wish it and the dance group the very best of luck with this venture, that certainly deserves to succeed. I will be supporting it, that's for sure.