Where does it all lead?

It can be a very hard industry to get jobs in.alot of little girls want to be dancers like alot of little boys want to be footballers.

The sort of casual sexism that gets men regularly in trouble, just ask Sir Tim Hunt and Kevin Roberts!

• Like 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence taken, but Hunt and Roberts meant no offence either, they were just speaking from their experiences. Didn't stop them losing their jobs though.

Anyway, was only a casual observation on a topic that vexes me.

Carry on as we were!

Gender stereotyping by no means confined to sports and performing arts. As a very young scientist I was discussing a tricky problem with a colleague when we were rudely interrupted by a building contractor. "Scuse me love, I need to speak to Professor Smith". My (also female) colleague turned in slo mo and in glacial tones replied "I am Professor Smith". The remembered look on the guys face still makes me giggle. Then there was the matter of the size 4 steel toe cap boots that had to be ordered in specially. If other people have issues with 'atypical choices' frankly its their problem, just rise above it!

Off topic, but relevant to both young scientists and Tim Hunt: as a PhD student i worked in a lab next to Tim's and collaborated extensively because my PhD overlapped the work of the two labs. He was actually one of the most supportive, gender-blind, encouraging to young female scientists group leaders in the department - much, much more so than my own (female) group leader.

My ballet daughters favourite subjects are physics and maths, she achieved As in both subjects and would have Persued a career that involved these subject, however ballet stole her heart and passion.

• Like 3

Off topic, but relevant to both young scientists and Tim Hunt: as a PhD student i worked in a lab next to Tim's and collaborated extensively because my PhD overlapped the work of the two labs. He was actually one of the most supportive, gender-blind, encouraging to young female scientists group leaders in the department - much, much more so than my own (female) group leader.

Tim Hunt is a massive loss to UK science education, driven out of this country by the professionally offended who are not interested in open debate, only knee jerk public damnation.

Diversity, equality and inclusiveness, essential for the future of all our children, will never be achieved if we continue to treat people with such little common courtesy.

• Like 1

Off-topic: re Tim Hunt, there are other views, particularly around his views of 'science education' acting as a massive negative blow to the equality of women in science labs. At the level I work at, the loss of women in senior roles - because of attitudes such as Professor Hunt's publicly expressed views on the behaviour of women in labs - is a nation-wide (indeed, world-wide) problem. His public statement clearly contravened the spirit & principles of the Athena Swan charter, which UCL supports.

My apologies to the Moderators, but I couldn't let sherbert's statement stand unchallenged in this thread. I work in the HE sector, and I see at first-hand the difficulties women still face in achieving leadership roles, because of structural sexism & inequalities, but also because of attitudes about what is a "woman's place."

You may need to remove all the posts about Prof. Hunt et al. to another thread!  ;)

Edited by Kate_N

It is a statement of fact that lots of little girls want to be ballerinas.

It is also a statement of fact that lots of little boys want to be footballers.

I'm guessing both of the above apply to the named sex to a much greater extent then the opposite sex.

Yes, that's a product of gender-biased media and (in some cases unintentional) social attitudes that most children are exposed to from a very early age, it's great that there seems to be real momentum behind efforts to change the gender bias in these areas (the Let Toys be Toys campaign, for example), and there's a lot of work to be done to ensure equality of opportunity in these and other fields.  But mumof6 statement was an unarguable fact about the current demographics of wannabe ballet dancers and footballers.

• Like 6

It's difficult to split threads with the remaining posts still making sense, as these threads are - in essence - a conversation. Thank you to RuthE for summing up, and if we could get back on topic, that would be good.

If anyone has a burning desire to continue discussing Professor Hunt et al then it might be better to do so in "Not Dance".

• Like 1

I am one of 4 and the 2 girls are scientists and my 2 brothers on the Arts side. I positively tried to avoid pink and all the ghastly girl toys for my daughter and I have ended up with a dd and a rugby boy!! She's not very pink though so I take solace in that!!

• Like 1