Where does it all lead?

annaliesey

It is a statement of fact that lots of little girls want to be ballerinas.

It is also a statement of fact that lots of little boys want to be footballers.

I'm guessing both of the above apply to the named sex to a much greater extent then the opposite sex.

Yes, that's a product of gender-biased media and (in some cases unintentional) social attitudes that most children are exposed to from a very early age, it's great that there seems to be real momentum behind efforts to change the gender bias in these areas (the Let Toys be Toys campaign, for example), and there's a lot of work to be done to ensure equality of opportunity in these and other fields.  But mumof6 statement was an unarguable fact about the current demographics of wannabe ballet dancers and footballers.

• Like 6

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's difficult to split threads with the remaining posts still making sense, as these threads are - in essence - a conversation. Thank you to RuthE for summing up, and if we could get back on topic, that would be good.

If anyone has a burning desire to continue discussing Professor Hunt et al then it might be better to do so in "Not Dance".

• Like 1

I am one of 4 and the 2 girls are scientists and my 2 brothers on the Arts side. I positively tried to avoid pink and all the ghastly girl toys for my daughter and I have ended up with a dd and a rugby boy!! She's not very pink though so I take solace in that!!

• Like 1