Pulling/Cracking Hamstring. What is it?

Lisa O`Brien

OK,this is going to be a bit tricky to explain,but i`ll try my best. For the last couple of years,but never when I was dancing, if I stand on my right leg and do an arabesque [i mean only slightly lifting my leg to just about 45 degrees, but maybe not much higher as I can`t get my leg above 90 degrees anyway] I get a really weird sensation. It`s not coming from my hip. It seems to be my hamstring, as it`s directly in line with my right buttock cheek,but much lower down. It makes a very loud sound,not anything like when you crack your bones. It also "pulls". It kind of hurts,but at the same time it feels so good to do it,as I feel I need to do this,and do it,about 3 times a day every day,or else I feel totally ceased up. It never happens on the left leg,and it only happens on the right leg when I am standing on my right leg  and it is behind me in arabesque. [i should point out that it is more than likely when I am doing an arabesque that my leg and hips are not properly aligned. I don`t do it in front of a mirror or anything.] It just makes the weirdest sound,and has the strangest pulling sensation,but I also feel its something the back of my leg "needs " to do. Does anyone out there know what I am referring to and have you experienced something similar? Thanks.

I`ve just done the same movement standing in the hall now. It didn`t pull,as I only pulled it a few hours ago.But I would describe my position as less of an arabesque and more of a dog standing on one leg,cocking his right leg up a tree. [Leaves you all with that enthralling image in your heads].

• Like 3

This is really strange, never heard of anything like it before. I myself on rare occasion "need" to crack my hip in arabesque in order to gain extra height but this is very distinct from what you describe.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be pulling of tendons due to a muscular imbalance or something similar. Does this popping happen after you have thoroughly warmed up or only when you hold arabesque "cold"? Also, have you maybe had hamstring problems in the past that may have left you susceptible to some sort of imbalance?

If it is not painful then it should hopefully not be anything to worry about, but as with all medically related issues if it is troubling you, it can never hurt to go to your GP and have your mind put at ease!

Hi - I get this too, but it only happens if my weight is very far backwards on my standing leg. The combination of my forward tilting pelvis when lifting a leg to the back (incorrect ballet technique I should add) and shifting of weight back over my heel is enough to make a loud click/pop/snap at the ischial tuberosity (sitting bone) area of my standing leg. The ischial tuberosity is an attachment site of several different muscle tendons so I just assumed that getting myself into that position created tension in a couple of them, causing them to get caught on each other momentarily? Or that over time, prolonged wear and tear at that site has created some thickening at the tendons causing them to overlap maybe creating the 'click/crack'. Anyway it feels a bit weird to me and not something I'd like to do frequently as I am prone to tendinitis there anyway, but occasionally I like to use it as a party trick to 'gross people out'!!!!!!

• Like 2

This could be what you are describing Dr.Dance. I did many years ago have a couple of pulled muscles,always in my right leg,and when the weather is especially cold it still "gives me jip". But having not danced for many years now and as I do no form of exercise or stretching ,I was wondering what has suddenly made it appear in the last couple of years? But I`m probably weird in that I like the resistance I feel as I stretch it before it cracks !!