The Royal Ballet: Giselle, Feb-April 2016

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from opening night.  Sarah Lamb turned in a beautiful performance under nerve-wracking circumstances.  Her mad scene was so poignant, those expressive eyes imparting her terror and what she knew, somewhere deep inside, the outcome was going to be.  Her act two was graceful, redemptive and emotional.  Sarah is such a trouper, and such a dedicated member of the company.  In the past two years she has replaced Osipova as Manon, as Juliet and now as Giselle.  She must be getting used to this, but that doesn't detract from the nerves.  Tonight, the nerves didn't show, and what WAS shown was the audience's appreciation for this oft-unsung artist.  

Matthew Golding was making his debut as Albrecht, also under difficult circumstances.  He was not expecting to be making his debut with Sarah, and they only had one day of rehearsal time.  However, you wouldn't have known.  They danced beautifully together, and there was real chemistry between them.  Golding is on good form and his dancing was impressive.  He was feeling the role;  the joy of act one before it all goes wrong, the abject sadness, the guilt, coming face to face with death and then the chance of living his life....it was all there.  His partnering was assured and caring, and I really enjoyed watching him.  

Now, to Tierney Heap as Myrthe.  Wow, wow, wow.  She was one of the best I have seen.  She was a little tentative for the first couple of minutes, but then an explosion of fantastic dancing and interpretation.  She was perfect.  She terrified me.  She is the scariest Myrthe since Monica Mason and Marianela Nunez.  I loved the way a very slight, mocking smile played upon her lips when Giselle begged her for Albrecht's life.  'Are you serious?  You DARE to even ASK?  HA. No way.'  She was superb and I can't wait to see her again.  

The pas de six was Hayward, Naghdi, Choe, Campbell, Sambe and Acri.  They were all brilliant.  Capybara mentioned above the sequence with Naghdi and Hayward.  They were superb tonight.  I was in awe at how their feet were exactly together through all those difficult battements and entrechats,  Acri and Sambe proved again what a great partnership they are, and how wonderful to see Choe and Campbell dance together again.  

Lovely dancing by Beatriz Stix-Brunell as Zulme and Olivia Cowley as Moyne, and once again I can't praise the corps highly enough.  They were totally bewitching and beautful, soft but hard as the Wilis should be.  

An impressive start to this run of Giselle, and I am really looking forward to the other casts.  A huge thank you to Sarah and Matthew for turning what could have been a disappointing night for many people into a very special one.  This is indeed how it is supposed to happen.

• Like 26

Wow wow wow NAGHDI and HAYWARD!!!!  What a duo, what an amazing synchronisation these two dancers have, they danced as one and I can't wait to see them again. That pas de six is simply unforgettable, Sambe and Acre were equally impressive. Heap was a superb Myrthe, tentative in the beginning but she grew into the  role.  

Golding was better in Act 2 and I really liked him. Sarah Lamb danced beautifully too, not my favourite Giselle but all credit to her.

The Corps deserves a mention too, they were wonderful. 

I wish all the dancers a well-deserved mid-Season break, they have given me much pleasure since the beginning of the Season.

• Like 4

This does not surprise me in the least Geoff.  i have often told the story of a BRB performance of R&J where Monica Zamora was Juliet up to and including the ballroom scene and Sandra Madgwick took over from the balcony scene.  Monica Zamora was tall and dark and Sandra Madgwick was small and blonde.  Quite a few people in the audience did not seem to realise that the ballerina had changed mid-act!

• Like 1

This does not surprise me in the least Geoff.  i have often told the story of a BRB performance of R&J where Monica Zamora was Juliet up to and including the ballroom scene and Sandra Madgwick took over from the balcony scene.  Monica Zamora was tall and dark and Sandra Madgwick was small and blonde.  Quite a few people in the audience did not seem to realise that the ballerina had changed mid-act!

We were there too and were a bit nonplussed, having driven to Birmingham specifically to see Monica's debut!

Excellent performance last night- taking it all-in-all I don't think I've seen a better RB Giselle.

The corps were on top form, together, precise and dramatic in Act 2. A really good pas de six-Ball-in particular, with especially his noble arms-Takada, Hay, Harrod,Hinkis, Donnelly.

Helen Crawford was a convincing Myrtha, (and I remember some rather weak and sloppy ones in the last RB run.)

McRae's increasingly despairing leaps as he was danced to death were a highlight. He and Salenko look very good together. She strongly contrasted the two acts very effectively, and danced with passion.

A really superb evening.

• Like 6

I also enjoyed last night's Giselle very much, thought I might be getting tired of it but it looked well danced and fresh, pleased to see Iana Salenko and Steven McRae , ever since I saw Iana in Two Pigeons I had been trying to get a ticket for her Giselle and was not disappointed, she looked so pale and fragile, she obviously brings out the best in Steven McRae who was very moving at the end. Great cast all round, Akane Takada and James Hay leading the pas de six, Helen Crawford in one of her best roles as Myrthe, and leading Wilis Emma Maguire and Yasmine Naghdi, whose short solo was a perfect vision of the Romantic ballet!  I was surprised to see Valentino Zuchetti as a younger than usual Hilarion but it made a change.

Glad I have several more casts to see now, and from the lovely reviews of Sarah Lamb I hope to see her if Natalia Osipova is still injured.

• Like 5

I was at the Lamb/Golding/Heap performance on Friday evening, and I completely agree with Sim's review above. I had never seen Sarah Lamb in this role before, and she took my breath away. Absolutely exquisite dancing and wonderful acting. She was the epitome of loving, trusting goodness in Act 1, followed by the terrible realisation of betrayal. Unlike almost all the other Giselles I have seen, she didn't appear to injure/kill herself with the sword - rather she died of her broken heart, and nearly broke mine too. Her Act 2 was profoundly moving. When Albrecht lay on the floor in guilt and sorrow, she danced slowly and gently in a circle around him, as if spinning a web of care, love and protection to shield him from evil. And later, she stood in deep arabesque in the centre of the stage, absolutely still for a moment. Like a still point in a turning world - a brief image of truth and beauty. Stunning. Golding was an honest (in one sense!) and passionate Albrecht, and they did really well together given the very short rehearsal time. And he really really did need Giselle's protection in Act 2! Heap was amazingly powerful and malevolent - more vital and womanly than Myrthe usually is, and all the more striking for it. Behind the little smile you could sense a woman who has been betrayed too, and has NOT been able to forgive; but she senses Giselle's goodness and is almost tempted to relent, until her heart hardens again and she turns her back (literally) on them. Tragic. What a wonderful performance.

• Like 9

I find it hard to credit that Friday’s show was only Sarah Lamb's third performance as Giselle. The last revivals were in 2008, 2011 and 2014: in 2008 she was slated to perform but broke her foot, in 2011 she wasn't cast, in 2014 she had two performances with Steven McRae. That's it.

And she had, of course, been cast for only one public performance in this run ...

I find it hard to credit that Friday’s show was only Sarah Lamb's third performance as Giselle. The last revivals were in 2008, 2011 and 2014: in 2008 she was slated to perform but broke her foot, in 2011 she wasn't cast, in 2014 she had two performances with Steven McRae. That's it.

I find that unbelievable, considering she has been a Principal for 10 years. 

For those suffering from Osipova deprivation there's a very nice collection of photos on the Ballet Association website of Act I of Giselle taken by Jennie Walton when the Bolshoi came to London in 2010. There are enough images in the gallery to give a complete narrative though it's a pity that the photocall didn't cover both acts.

(The gallery uses Flash so won't be viewable on an iPad or iPhone.)

• Like 3

Hmmmm. Can't see it yet...

(Edited to add - oh yes, sorry - I was looking in the wrong place.  EXCELLENT.  Thought she'd retired the role!)

I also found myself thinking earlier on that I do hope Laura Morera is getting on OK with recovering from her injury and will be able to dance her scheduled performances of the title role...

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 2

Casting now shows Nunez dancing Myrthe at the remaining Osipova/Golding performances

Wow....what a cast that will be, if it comes off. So pleased that Nela is still dancing Myrthe as she is wonderful in that role.

I too hope very much that Laura has recovered by the time she is scheduled to dance.

Wow....what a cast that will be, if it comes off. So pleased that Nela is still dancing Myrthe as she is wonderful in that role.I too hope very much that Laura has recovered by the time she is scheduled to dance.

Great to see Myrthe casting being announced - it's such a difficult and important role and great that Nunez will reprise it, although sadly I won't be there to see. Very pleased that Mendizabal will do the cinema relay, I'm sure she will be wonderful too.

• Like 3

I wonder if Osipova will manage to do her final Giselle. I guess time will tell. Thank the ballet gods for dancers like Sarah Lamb. I for one am very much looking forward to seeing her again...and I pray to those same gods that we get Tierney Heap as Myrthe again!