The Royal Ballet: Giselle, Feb-April 2016

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intrigued by the rehearsal photos that I have just seen on Flickr. The three Myrthas shown are very exciting to be sure! (Tierney Heap, Claire Calvert &  Itziar Mendizabal). 

I think the casting of Myrtha can affect the entire performance of Giselle - so I will be happy with any of the three! (I am booked in for my first Royal Opera House visit on 23rd March - all previous ballet shows from Dvds, live stream & tours). 24602751004_cde6552ab6.jpg

Edited by Bleaden94
  • Like 2

It would be nice if people on here found the time to post the various casts for Myrthe, Hilarion and, perhaps, the pas de six as and when they see them. I, for one, can't manage to get to (or afford!) all 7 casts of Giselle/Albrecht but it is very interesting to know who is dancing.

• Like 1

Ticket holders for Opening Night will wish to know that Ms Osipova is injured, and that Ms Lamb will replace her:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-sarah-lamb-to-dance-in-giselle-on-26-february-2016

Remainder of cast unchanged.

Oh...not again. I fought tooth and nail to get an extra ticket for tomorrow night so that my friend could see her especially. This is yet another disappointment. I hope she will be able to do her other performances.

• Like 1

Intrigued by the rehearsal photos that I have just seen on Flickr. The three Myrthas shown are very exciting to be sure! (Tierney Heap, Claire Calvert &  Itziar Mendizabal). 

I think the casting of Myrtha can affect the entire performance of Giselle - so I will be happy with any of the three! (I am booked in for my first Royal Opera House visit on 23rd March - all previous ballet shows from Dvds, live stream & tours). 24602751004_cde6552ab6.jpg

Calvert would be super-thinking of her recent impressive command of the stage in her gipsy girl role.

I can't see the full castng anywhere, but maybe I am being slow.

I would love to see Claire Calvert as Myrtha, it's a jumpy role and she's a jumpy dancer :D .

Lovely picture as well.

I was at the rehearsal in question, so here are some photos before Natalia had to withdraw because of the injury. Such a shame as she and Matthew Golding were in such sync, that i'm sure the performance would have been spectacular, Lets all hope she makes it to her shows in March.

25167501671_0f963b55c9_z.jpg
Natalia Osipova, Matthew Golding
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

25167497611_c46691b2cc_z.jpg
Matthew Golding, Natalia Osipova
©Matthew Golding,  Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

24965055800_25727cec40_z.jpg
Matthew Golding

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: RB - Giselle 2016
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr
By kind permission of the Royal Opera House

• Like 8

I was at the rehearsal in question, so here are some photos before Natalia had to withdraw because of the injury. Such a shame as she and Matthew Golding were in such sync, that i'm sure the performance would have been spectacular, Lets all hope she makes it to her shows in March.

25167501671_0f963b55c9_z.jpg

Natalia Osipova, Matthew Golding

25167497611_c46691b2cc_z.jpg

Matthew Golding, Natalia Osipova

©Matthew Golding,  Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

24965055800_25727cec40_z.jpg

Matthew Golding

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: RB - Giselle 2016

Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

By kind permission of the Royal Opera House

What a shame for them to happen so late on. Was it a major injury?

Myrthe is a great role and very difficult too (even more so in the extended Mary Speaking version that ENB will revive next season). When I was first going to the ROH, it was the domain of some of the strongest principal ladies (Bergsma, Conley, Derman and especially Mason) but those days seem past (although Galeazzi, Morera, Nunez and Yanowsky have also danced it). Deirdre Eyden and Pippa Wylde, although not principals, were also memorable with their big jump and glamorous presence. The three dancers listed here should all be great in a role that seems recently to have been undercast - are Crawford, Kobayashi and McCulloch not cast this time round?

What happened to Osipova?  That poor lady does seem to be most unfortunate.  :(

Regarding Mrythe, I was lucky enough to see Nunez in the role, and she was wonderful.  It must have been a long time ago, though.

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

Fonty, she sustained an injury during rehearsals on Wednesday.

James, Laura McCulloch is, I believe, on maternity leave which is why she hasn't been cast.

I am very much looking forward to these Myrthes as well. I have seen Itziar do it before; I really liked her but I hope that this time she doesn't wear blue eyeshadow and red lipstick....I don't think any creature would look like that having just emerged from her grave!! :)

It will be Lauren and Federico....they are the only scheduled couple available!!

It was, and fair play to them for doing it. This is not a review, but Kevin came front of curtain to advise us that he had told them to assume it was a working rehearsal as their first performance is not until the 23rd March. Basically I don't think they had anyone else so a big thank you to Lauren and Frederico.

• Like 4

Yes - a huge 'thank you' and 'well done' to both Lauren and Federico.

As a matter of further interest, Myrthe was Hikaru Kobayashi, Hilarion was Johannes Stepanek and the Pas de Six was danced by Tristan Dyer and Elizabeth Harrod (lead couple) with Yasmine Naghdi/David Donnelly and Francesca Hayward/Matthew Ball.

As a matter of further interest, Myrthe was Hikaru Kobayashi, Hilarion was Johannes Stepanek and the Pas de Six was danced by Tristan Dyer and Elizabeth Harrod (lead couple) with Yasmine Naghdi/David Donnelly and Francesca Hayward/Matthew Ball.

That sounds like a perfect Pas de Six! As I'm going to see Lauren & Federico on 23rd March, I hope I get to see them!

That sounds like a perfect Pas de Six! As I'm going to see Lauren & Federico on 23rd March, I hope I get to see them!

It was indeed the perfect Pas de Six.  And young Matthew Ball gets better and better. Lauren recovered well from slight mishap with veil. Huge thanks to her and Frederico for stepping in at such short notice.

Not forgetting small but beautiful solos by Olivia Cowley and Claire Calvert as Moyna and Zulme