ENB Announces Autumn '16 / Spring '17 Season

Yes I am happy especially with my local offerings of Nutcracker in Liverpool, the new Khan Giselle in Manchester (although I hope it is faithful to the classic versions) and In The middle Somewhat Elevated in the triple at Sadlers Wells.

IF, and it's probably a big IF, but I have already tweeted the suggestion to ENB, IF ENB could partner Alina Cojacaru with Johann Kobborg as a Guest Lead Principal in Giselle well that would be the icing on the cake!

• Like 1

IF ENB could partner Alina Cojacaru with Johann Kobborg as a Guest Lead Principal in Giselle well that would be the icing on the cake!

If that were to happen I would sell my grandmother to get tickets. Not that I have a grandmother anymore, but you get my drift.... :)

• Like 4

DQF - if they are still dancing Mary Skeaping's classic production of Giselle (one of the best anywhere), then I imagine the Akram Khan version is going to be radically different.  I wonder if they hope to attract two separate audiences or whether they hope that people will be intrigued enough to buy tickets for both.

• Like 4

Well, I'm definitely intrigued by seeing two different Giselle's in one season by the same company and have already made a little detour to the ENO website for some 'just in case' bookings. Didn't realise they'd redone the whole ENO booking site - if it works from a tablet now, that would be a nice bonus.

Edit: Hmm, just noticed that it said booking opens for friends on the 19th. I'm not actually a friend and just booked a few tickets - hope that's a valid booking since they took my money.... Some glitch on the ENO site?

Edited by Coated
  • Like 2

Since Tamara Rojo became artistic director of ENB I have never been more interested and excited to see a ballet company's season announced. And in my new interest I suddenly appreciate the many artistic, logistic, and economic factors in putting a season together. It must be an immense 'challenge' - to use the fashionable euphemism. 

For me, a classic Giselle is the immediate appeal of the new season. I am in the NW but am likely to travel to London if there is a chance to see Cojocaru dance one of her most applauded and favourite roles.

Local to me in the touring season is Eagling's Nutcracker in Liverpool and Khan's Giselle in Manchester. I am at the moment somewhat ambivalent to any Nutcracker so will reserve decision. I am attempting to broaden my dance tastes from pure classic ballet and Khan's Giselle certainly seems a chance to do that, as well as a theatrical event in its own right.

• Like 4

I find it extremely difficult to double guess what Akram Khan will do with Giselle other than to speculate that it is likely to be totally mesmerising. I love the idea of two such different Giselles in one season. There does, however, seem to be an awful lot of of Giselle-related programming across the board at the moment. Is there any reason for this?

• Like 1

I am relieved that the Skeaping production of Giselle is being maintained in ENB's repertory and not being abandoned. As far as the Royal is concerned the only thing that I have against the Dowell Swan Lake production are the designs which were tasteless when it was new and are even worse with the lapse of time. I should be very happy if they were to revive it with new designs and occasionally stage the production which it replaced with all the Ashton accretions,except the section which explains how Odette was bewitched by Von Rothbart,including the pas de douze waltz or the pas de six waltz he created for the touring company in act 1 and his final act. I would happily settle for the version on the Royal Ballet DVD with Markova, Dowell in the lead roles.

In theory ENB dance much of the choreography from the Helpmann/Ashton production but it always looks flat because they don't dance it in the appropriate style.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 1

IF ENB could partner Alina Cojacaru with Johann Kobborg as a Guest Lead Principal in Giselle well that would be the icing on the cake!

I tweeted Alina and suggested this and both Alina and Johan replied "liking" my tweet. So the will is their, maybe if we all tweeted Tamara???

• 4 months later...