Best character shoes?

munchkin16

I'm looking to invest in some character shoes for a musical I'm in and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, decent height shoe? I have small narrow feet. Also can anyone recommend a good rehearsal shoe, possibly a slip on jazz shoe, that isn't too expensive? Thanks!

Are you looking for canvas 'ballet' character shoes with the pink elastic, or leather stage New Yorkers?

Katz is good for cuban heel character shoes, and Capezio for New Yorkers. They both come up fairly narrow. Katz black leather split-sole jazz shoes are good too, and some people replace the laces with black elastic for quick changes.

• Like 1

Definitely more of the New Yorker style shoe, the director would not appreciate the pink elastic and I think I'd also like a higher heel, although I haven't danced in character shoes before. Thanks I'll check out Capezio. I think I found some Bloch and So Danca ones on sale, how do they compare or capezio? I'm looking for something comfortable as well as pretty as I think being one of the only dancers in the show I might be doing a lot!

Im looking at the jazz shoes without laces, are the cheaper copies ok or worth avoiding? Thanks!

Edited by munchkin16

Capezio 3" heel are the ones I use, they are quite narrow made & I usually get one size bigger. You can get 2" heel too but Capezio 3" are the nicest looking in my opinion. The 2" heel seem to not be quite so small made so maybe a half size bigger. So Danca are a bit wider & a bit cheaper, Bloch also quite good. Capezios last forever in my experience, I had a pair that lasted ten years and took a good battering!

All of them have leather soles so depending on the stage you might need to get the shoes soled.

Thank you I'll definitely check out the capezio ones then unless anyone knows a good place to buy them second hand/cheaper?

For jazz shoes I was looking at the Bloch neo flex, are they any good? Or capezio? I might be able to get to a shop to try them on at some point.

Thats a good point, I think the stage is relatively old but would changing the soles make them less slippy? I'll be dancing a lot in them so I think I quite like less friction...

Look on eBay for second hand! Quite often you might get barely worn ones! Capezio don't have reinforced heel but are ok, but when mine finally died it was the heel that broke. Might take a bit of getting used to dance in if you haven't worn them before but they don't hurt my feet to break in or anything (& my feet are bad for that). So Danca & Bloch similar tbh.

I always worry about slipping so you can scuff up the soles or get them soled. Depends on your stage!

DD echoes Fit and Floats comments - neither the capezio's or the so danca's hurt her feet at all and were comfortable to dance in - just takes a bit of getting used to. If there is a reinforced heel, it will be in the description.  In terms of the soles and being slippy, depending on the stage.  For DD's first pair they were advised to get them soled - with a thin a sole as possible.  Second pair she had no time to get them soled and she scruffed the soles.  Same stage - I don't think she really noticed a difference.

I don't think there is much difference between the brands of shoe to be honest and my advice would probably be to see where you can get the best price and if there is much of a price difference, go for the cheapest.  I don't think any brand is worth paying significantly more for than another.

• Like 1

I had two pairs of New Yorkers in the same make (so dance I think) but different colours one tan one black and to roughen the soles me and my dancing friends went for a jog round a very gritty car park did the job nicely and prepared us for dancing in them!

The leather bit on the black pair ripped when I pointed my foot but other than that I had no issue with either pair. I also have a lower pair which I think are Bloch, they have a suede soles and an unusual strap detailing as well as neoprene inserts, I wore them for a theatre craft exam and the examiner actually had a good chat with me in the middle of my exam about how gorgeous they were, as I could fully pointe my foot in them. They were unbelievably comfortable

It depends if you want to be able to pointe your feet? I preferred them as a technical shoe, but from a vanity perspective if I was going on stage I'd opt for the so Danca as they are higher and I'm pocket size! That said when I've been on stage in them I haven't really needed them to pointe so perhaps if I had I'd have gone with the bendy ones x

The dancer in me wants those split pro ones so bad but I can't justify £60 on them :( I'll have to settle for Capezio I think. I'm leaning towards the Theatrical Footlight as they have a 3 inch heel and planet dance has them for £25 in a size 2.5! I think they should fit, does anyone have any experience with the sizing?