Teaching Vocational Students?

swanprincess

I just wondered, what qualifications/experience is necessary to get a job teaching vocational students, such as at Elmhurst or Rambert? Is it vital to have danced in a company? Or are teaching qualifications (ie ARAD/AIDTA), or a degree, or 3 years of vocational training, looked upon as favourably?

If you look at the biogs of teachers at the big Vocational schools, I think most of them have had successful careers in well-known companies and then taken teaching qualifications such as the RAD's post-professional teaching course.

• Like 4

I agree with the others that teachers in vocational schools will have experience as a professional dancer and relevant teaching qualifications.  I know teachers that have taught my DD at vocational school have had a mixture of teaching qualifications - degrees , RAD post-professional course but all have been experienced professional dancers.

To clarify also - ARAD is not a teaching qualification and I'm not sure AIDTA is either.  The 'A' in both cases I believe stands for 'associate' and certainly in the case of RAD, you can apply for ARAD status if you have passed Adv 2, are a full member of RAD and are over age 18.

• Like 1

To clarify also - ARAD is not a teaching qualification and I'm not sure AIDTA is either.  The 'A' in both cases I believe stands for 'associate' and certainly in the case of RAD, you can apply for ARAD status if you have passed Adv 2, are a full member of RAD and are over age 18.

Is it? I thought it was the first level of their teaching qualifications. has that changed or has it never been that way?

As for teaching in vocational schools, you can look on the websites of most schools and see a list of staff that teach there and their professional backgrounds. It's extremely competitive and I think you'd have to also be very well connected to get that kind of job. I was a professional dancer, trained at vocational school and have a degree in dance and have been considering applying for the teachers course at Accademia la Scala, but I am not convinced I would be able to get a teaching job in a vocational school because I didn't have a high profile career. I'm still thinking about which direction to take...

I think the other thing I've noticed about teachers whom I know teach at vocational schools is that they have that 'something special' to pass on - be it years as a soloist, or as a choreographer, or trained in various places. This is not something that the paper qualifications can always match ...

• Like 2

From the RAD website:

ARAD is a title awarded to those who have become an Associate of the Royal Academy of Dance.

In order to become an Associate of the Royal Academy of Dance (ARAD) the following four requirements must be met:

1. Applicants must be 18 years of age or above at the time of application. 2. A Full Member of the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD Registered Teachers are Full Members). 3. Your membership subscription must be current. 4. You must have passed a Vocational Graded Examination at RAD Advanced 2 level (RAD Advanced level prior to September 2001).

AND: ARAD is a membership award in recognition of the applicants’ achievement at RAD Advanced 2 level. It is not a qualification; the qualification is the RAD Advanced 2.

My DD was told by her teacher when she passed her Adv 2 that she could apply to have ARAD after her name. I've no idea invisiblecrcus if it has changed or never been that way.

• Like 2

Just to clarify, in terms of qualification to teach with the IDTA.

AIDTA (Associate)is indeed a full teaching qualification, the examination ensures the candidate is capable of teaching with technical knowledge of the syllabus throughout the Grades and up to Intermediate. There are multiple parts to the examination with both written/portfolio and practical components and the candidate is required to achieve a Diploma in Anatomy and Physiology.

The Associate qualification has recently been updated to a Level 4 Diploma in Dance Teaching.

LITDA (Licentiate)this qualification (written/portfolio and practical) takes the examination of teaching competency/ technical knowledge to Advanced 1 level.

FIDTA (Fellowship) is the highest qualification level with the exam(written/portfolio and practical) focussing on the teaching/technical syllabus requirements up to Advanced 2.

Hope this helps

RK

(FIDTA)

• Like 2