English National Ballet School summer intensive 2016

CatherineRose

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All. Its a non-residual course and there is no catering so you need to bring a packed lunch and snacks each day. The course attracts a large number of international students, the first time that my dd did it (aged 11) she was one of 4 British girls in her group. The lack of mutual language did not seem to be a problem in making friends as they all loved dance (and cake). She has done the summer school several times since and always enjoyed it. The ballet is of a very high standard and she thought quite challenging compared to other SS. In deciding which course to go for I would be guided by your child's current ballet level and experience as much as by age. The last time my dd did the junior course she was in the top group and had just started Advanced 1 Ballet. Hope this helps.

Hi All. Its a non-residual course and there is no catering so you need to bring a packed lunch and snacks each day. The course attracts a large number of international students, the first time that my dd did it (aged 11) she was one of 4 British girls in her group. The lack of mutual language did not seem to be a problem in making friends as they all loved dance (and cake). She has done the summer school several times since and always enjoyed it. The ballet is of a very high standard and she thought quite challenging compared to other SS. In deciding which course to go for I would be guided by your child's current ballet level and experience as much as by age. The last time my dd did the junior course she was in the top group and had just started Advanced 1 Ballet. Hope this helps.

My little issue is that my DD turns 15 just 13 days before the start date of this SS.

Having taken her IF this summer the lower group would not challenge her but then her age would send her into the older age group, however she is now Interm and Adv Found. Not studying Adv1 like the requirements as stated by ENBS. So stuck in the middle of 'no mans land' just like so many other SS. 

Just don't know what to do for the best and obviously mindful of the additional costs relating to accommodation, meals incl packed lunches. 

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

I would also suggest phoning them. If your daughter is studying Adv Foundation then it may well be that she can join those studying Adv 1 - especially by the time next summer is here - as DD's teachers agree that some aspects of Adv Foundation (RAD, I don't know about other syllabi) are more difficult for some dancers than some of Adv 1. DD certainly found that as a very long-legged dancer the allegro section of Adv 1 was less 'leg-knotting' than parts of the allegro section in Adv Foundation. She also thought that some of the pointe work in Adv Foundation was trickier for her.

• Like 1

Thank you, I will give them a ring. It's just so strange that there are a few SS and in fact Easter courses aswell that seem to have a gap between courses for abilities.  ;)

Ps Edited to add:- Just spoken to a lovely staff member at ENBS. Just suggested to submit the application form with photos and the Dance Director will decide on photos alone, whether DD can join the older age group.

AirBnB was mentioned for accomodation options besides hotels. The school are currently in negotiations with local hostels that their full time students use term time to see if they might be available for the SS students. However, no supervision/chaperones would be provided. A tad worrying considering the age of some of the SS students attending.  

Edited by balletbean

My little issue is that my DD turns 15 just 13 days before the start date of this SS.

Having taken her IF this summer the lower group would not challenge her but then her age would send her into the older age group, however she is now Interm and Adv Found. Not studying Adv1 like the requirements as stated by ENBS. So stuck in the middle of 'no mans land' just like so many other SS.

Just don't know what to do for the best and obviously mindful of the additional costs relating to accommodation, meals incl packed lunches.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

Balletbean, my DD did ENBS SS last Summer. She was 14 and had just taken RAD Intermediate and is at full time vocational school.

She was put into the group up to and including 14 years, which is then split into two groups based on age and photos. This group was extremely challenging and most of the girls were 14 and looked older. They day is long and the classes were full on and the repertoire more than hard enough, including the pointe work. The thought of going up to the next level (should she get in) is quite daunting, even though she's studying Advanced 1.

Hope this helps!

Edited by atacrossroads

Thank you atthecrossroads.

One of the issues is that she turns 15 just a matter of days before. When I spoke to the lovely lady she focused on her age at the start of SS. Also can you tell me anything about accommodation you used for the SS.

Thank you.

My DD had not long turned 15 last year when she did the SS. She was studying at Advanced 1 level, but there were lots of girls her school year in the senior SS. It was a challenging SS which was exactly what we were looking for. DD loved it and hoped to be going again this year.

We stayed in the Premier Inn at Putney Bridge, not cheap but very close, only two tube stops down the line.

Edited by Loulabelle