Etoiles – Paris exhibition about Clairemarie Osta and Nicolas Le Riche

Something from Paris that is not related to the news about Benjamin Millepied …

Dance studio ÉLÉPHANT PANAME near the Paris Opera is hosting an exhibition about Clairemarie Osta and Nicolas Le Riche http://www.elephantpaname.com/fr/programmation/exposition-etoiles. All text and all interviews in the exhibition are in French however given the number of exhibits and the beautiful building it is in, there is a lot to look, at even if a visitor doesn’t speak much French.

I’d never seen Osta dance and Le Riche just a couple of times and found it hugely interesting. The exhibition traces their careers through pictures from childhood to their current activities, personal mementos (Osta’s first ballet slippers/ her first tutu, posters and an armchair from Le Riche’s changing room, etc. etc.), letters they received, an essay written by Osta at school in which she analysed Des Grieux from Manon, and a variety of costumes.

Two ballets, Le Jeune Homme et la Mort and Manon feature prominently. The bed from Le Jeune Homme et La Mort and the writing desk (complete with feather and candle) from Manon are on display, and both with a number of pictures taken at performances, plus a short film that shows extracts of Osta preparing for and dancing in her final performance before she retired, which was Manon.

A roughly hour-long film runs in a loop on the ground floor, showing Osta and Le Riche rehearsing for/ dancing in a variety of ballets, some of them together, some with other partners, or on their own  – e.g., performances in Japan, a rehearsal by Mats Ek, and more of Manon.

The displays are arranged such that visitors are able to walk in the midst of them, creating an immersive, even intimate atmosphere.

A series of films and conversations with the artists accompany the exhibition which runs until the end of May 2016. The exhibition is in a beautiful old building with wonderful stucco to the ceiling and the remnants of romantic paintings along the walls of the central staircase … another thing to look at independent of language.

I came across this exhibition when I was searching for cultural events in Paris this week on a holiday from London. It was a lucky find, I really enjoyed it and spent nearly three hours there today.

------------

Edited for typo

Edited by Duck
  • Like 4

Thanks for the heads up :)

I'll be in Paris for St Petes B.Theatre too (snap! Don Q fan) so will make an effort to get along to this.

Clairemarie Osta is a gorgeous dancer and I suggest you check out her performance with Le Riche in Petit's Clavigo on DVD.  The roles were created on them and the ballet is famous for a prolonged kiss that brings the house down.  You'll love it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up :)

I'll be in Paris for St Petes B.Theatre too (snap! Don Q fan) so will make an effort to get along to this.

Clairemarie Osta is a gorgeous dancer and I suggest you check out her performance with Le Riche in Petit's Clavigo on DVD.  The roles were created on them and the ballet is famous for a prolonged kiss that brings the house down.  You'll love it.

The film that is shown in a continuous loop in the exhibition includes a section of Osta and Le Riche rehearsing that kiss - thank you, MAB for mentioning the name of the ballet as I couldn't remember it when I wrote about the exhibition in my earlier post.

-----

edited for grammar

Edited by Duck
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see this exhibition on Saturday and really enjoyed it, especially the virtual reality equipment that enables you to watch a class in the centre of the action, great fun.  it was a terrific tribute to two outstanding dancers and superbly presented.  Although it was a lovely sunny Parisian day, it was very cold and having a heavy cold myself, it was the perfect way to spend an afternoon indoors.

Many thanks again to Duck for the heads up.

• Like 2

Can't believe it but I forgot to go to this while I was in Paris last week :-( I wasn't really in the mood for exhibitions though and just enjoyed the city and the ballet in the evenings!! Yes it was VERY cold indeed. Hope your cold gets better soon MAB.

• Like 1