How essential are sway back legs?

atacrossroads

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent my whole life locking my knees when standing, it's taking some undoing! I only started ballet when I was 29 (I'm now 33) and didn't even realise I had hyperextended knees until August last year after switching to a different teacher! I always just thought my calves were too bulky and that was why my heels couldn't get closer together!

I took one term of absolute beginners' classes ever (in my early 30s) and had the same issue.  At the time I had no interest in ballet as an audience member, and certainly hadn't had the benefit of anything like this forum with its breadth of in-depth technical knowledge from professional dancers and teachers.  The teacher told me the reason I couldn't get my heels anywhere near each other in first was that I had swayback legs, and from that day until I first came across the term on this forum, I assumed that must be an un-remediable fault!

I took one term of absolute beginners' classes ever (in my early 30s) and had the same issue.  At the time I had no interest in ballet as an audience member, and certainly hadn't had the benefit of anything like this forum with its breadth of in-depth technical knowledge from professional dancers and teachers.  The teacher told me the reason I couldn't get my heels anywhere near each other in first was that I had swayback legs, and from that day until I first came across the term on this forum, I assumed that must be an un-remediable fault!

Well it took 3 years of ballet before it was even pointed out to me, I didn't know locking your knees was bad and always wondered why there never seemed to be enough room to properly pass my working leg through first position whilst doing ronde de jambe a terre without having to bend my knees slightly! Now I know, a lot of things make more sense, but it doesn't make it any easier as when my knees aren't locked they just feel bent, I honestly can't tell when they're straight, it just feels so unnatural!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Great video, my DD is medically hyper mobile and has the swayback legs and arms that look like they bend in the wrong way. The swayback legs do cause issues with strength all the time, DD gets her strength and is very centred then has a growth spurt and bye bye strength, then takes her a good month to get it back.

She does wish sometimes she has straight legs, then some of her friends look at her legs and wish they had them.

Suppose we all want what we don't have to a degree ????????

• Like 2

Weight bearing legs have to be properly straight, not locked back or overextended - or bent. Copeland is suggesting that a good way of achieving that is making sure the weight is going into the front of the foot rather than down the back of the leg and into the heel, which I can relate to. (I'm beginning to suggest my very tight hamstrings are due in part to four decades of putting weight too far back.)

• 1 year later...