How essential are sway back legs?

atacrossroads

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been having a conversation with dd about this thread and strength in controlling swaybacks and she said "If you have over swaybacks you have to control it but mine aren't that bad".

'Over swaybacks' ... the mind boggles

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

That's interesting - most teachers I know (including my own teacher training with the RAD) discourage this practice as it throws the body weight back beyond the heels, and encourages dancers to 'sit' into their swaybacks rather than activating the quadriceps and hamstrings. But I do know from watching videos of the Vaganova academy that they seem to work with their weight further back so perhaps its a difference in training styles!

On a different tangent: The 9 point testing scale for hypermobility is called the Beighton scale, and is used, in part, to assess if someone has a hypermobility syndrome: (Images 2-5 are tested on both sides; so it all adds up to 9)

beighton.png

This is really interesting to me but I'm so pathetic at understanding what diagrams are trying to tell me (I even have to stop and think when I go into a loo if it is ladies or gents) and apart from palms flat to the floor and bent back thumb, I can't see what the other diagrams are showing as examples of hyper extension. Please could someone knowledgeable add some words? Thank you!

Edited by Karen

#1 is palms on the floor, feet together.

#2 is elbows that hyperextend.

#3 is knees that hyperextend.

#4 is being able to pull thumb to wrist

#5 is being able to bend the top of the little finger backwards.

Petalviolet and Amos73 - your comments had me laughing out loud!!!!

• Like 5

This is really interesting to me but I'm so pathetic at understanding what diagrams are trying to tell me (I even have to stop and think when I go into a loo if it is ladies or gents) and apart from palms flat to the floor and bent back thumb, I can't see what the other diagrams are showing as examples of hyper extension. Please could someone knowledgeable add some words? Thank you!

Number 2 is hypermobile elbows, which is when the arms lock and go beyond straight, they essentially bend the wrong way, like swayback knees but in the arms. I have elbows like that, if I lock my elbow with my palm facing down, the inside of my elbow faces upwards.

Number 3 is swayback knees, when the knees are locked the legs are bent slightly the wrong way, it makes it more difficult to hold your weight on the balls of your feet as the angle of the leg pushes the weight onto the heels more.

Number 5 is a pinkie finger pulled back further than 90 degrees.

Doh, drdance beat me to it!

Oh, also, I score 6 on the Beighton scale, my pinkies don't extend beyond 90 degrees and I can only pull my left thumb back!

Edited by TabbyCool
  • Like 1

My teacher is constantly telling me to straighten my legs so my heels can touch in first position

Gosh, I can't see you, and I'm not your teacher, but you should never "lock" your knees if you're hyperextended. You have to learn quite a different way of working if you have hyperextended joints.

They may give a nice line IF ( a big if) the dancer knows how to work with them, but there are general issues of strength and control with hyperextended knees.

Definitely NOT a requirement!

And yes, thanks to all for such a fascinating discussion. I'm very very mildly hyperextended according to DrDance's information. Palms flat on the floor is easy, and so is my heels coming off the floor with knees extended. But I've always seen that as "normal" flexibility.

I have a family member who's a professional ballet dancer who is hyperextended, and they really had to work for strength and control, and not push back into the knees. It was definitely much harder for them, and a constant pressure to work carefully to avoid injury, and also to keep weight forward and not sink in the lower back & into the quads.

So intetested by this thread :) my dd is hyper mobile, wears orthotics in her shoes, has slighty swayback knees but not overly so. Also her elbows.

She's been told to focus on controlling everything from her hips and pulling up at her knees more.

We've been told too about strengthening exercises for her to do with core.

Still trying to understand it all really :)

• Like 2

Primrose , was that in Russia? I personally teach students to stand with heels touching in 1st, and to activate their quads to 'pull up' without locking back.

This website has some great images and is really useful for explaining how I prefer to manage hyperextended knees:

http://danceproject.ca/managing-knee-hyperextension-in-dancers/#.VrO3GvmLTIU

9-Hyper-extended-Knee.jpg This image shows the line of body weight distribution - on the left, 'giving in' to the swayback shows how the body weight falls predominantly through the kneecap whereas on the right all the weight is borne through the whole joint.

I was thinking about this question of swaybacks possibly being desirable and thinking that if they were then surely one of the photos in the required application would seek them out, but the photos they ask for wouldn't show this would they?

They would be able to see from the picture of the student standing side on feet in parallel. I don't think they are a 'requirement' as such, but I definitely think they are something that they notice and generally like, if not too extreme. I asked DDs physio yesterday, who used to do physio assessments for WL, and she said they obviously make an attractive line, but are harder to work with. If they are extreme they can cause real problems including bleeds inside the knee (which sounds horrible!) and in that case they would make someone unsuitable for training. However, she said they are by no means necessary for training as a classical dancer.

Interestingly we went to watch year 9 at WL on open day in October and of the girls in the class I would say all bar a few did have them to have some degree. The  boys less so, but some did.

• Like 1