Am I too fussy?

Sheila Beelam

I've just taken delivery of a large order of ballet shoes - but they are far from perfect..

The supplier is one of the biggest in the ballet world but common faults are:

~ Glue marks on satin on pointe shoes...

~ Paper(?) left in between folds of satin under the toe of the pointe shoe...

~ Where the maker have stamped their brand in black on the inside of the canvas shoes, at the side by the heel, a dark mark can be seen on the outside of the shoe...

~ Holes in satin!!

~ seam on the instep of canvas shoes fraying

~Yellow glue marks on canvas shoes

I was frankly shocked that I'm going to have to return about 40% of the stock...needless to say I am also stocking elsewhere now!

However, as a consumer I am fussy about my shoes. Clearly holes or fraying fabric must be rejected but having seen my ballet shoes after a couple of classes OH thinks I'm toooo fussy about marks...

I know the shoes will be marked after their first use, but there is something special about a brand new pristine pair of shoes...isn't there??

Well I wouldnt buy them if they had faults like that, especially fraying and holes in the satin. Also a big ugly black stamp mark that is sure to come off on the persons foot when they are sweating. I think you did the right thing sending them back and I think the company had a cheek sending you faulty goods without checking them first themselves. You are a very valuable customer to them.

• Like 2

Would you buy a dress with a frayed hem and the size label sticking under your arm pit, I don't think so. I think you are definately right to expect a high standard, isn't that the reason for going to this trader in the first place? Amateur shoes will make your dancers look amatuer. Stick to your guns Just Ballet.

• Like 1

You're surely right to complain, and loudly. The ads I see in Dancing Times etc portray only shoes in absolutely pristine condition, before any hint of serious use, so customers should reasonably expect any they buy from such sources to look just the same.

DEFINITELY not too fussy. You wouldn't accept a brand new car with marks, dents or scratches, nor would you pay full price for clothing with marks, holes or frayed edges. Everything you wear gets marked BUT it should start off looking pristine and beautiful!

You're definitely not being too fussy by wanting new goods in perfect condition.

• Like 1

You can't sell goods in less than perfect condition at full price. It makes no commercial sense to accept them. If you are the lady who is setting up a new dancewear business you want to get off to a good start and selling shoddy goods will give you a poor reputation (even if you do give a discount - which you won't want to do having paid full price for them). You must (pleasantly but firmly) explain to whoever supplied them why the goods will not be accepted and ask them to replace them. If the supplier is difficult about this you will need to go direct to the manufacturers (whose quality control leaves something to be desired). If the manufacturer is difficult about replacing the goods then you may need to stop ordering from them.

• Like 1

Thanks Aileen & Fiz, I'm just amazed that they came out like this and different styles too, so not a one off production line fault.

Another brand we're stocking had a QC label on each shoe with a checker's stamp so any problems could be traced back. And yes, no problems with any of their shoes, which were actually cheaper!

It's a mine field out there, but the satisfaction will be a shiny new website and perfect shoes :)

Sx

• Like 4

Good for you, shoes are very expensive in the UK. Don't compromise, its your reputation at stake and most importantly the dancers feet you are supplying. My DD had a pair of pointe shoes where the backs separated in a peculiar manner. When she needed a new pair, I took her old pair with me to her fitting. The fitter looked at the old pair and decide something was "amiss". Phoned the manufacturer, sent them back and we received a new pair free of charge. She wouldn't compromise on her standards and neither should you. You know what is right. Stick to what you know is right and dancers will return time after time!

Best wishes!

NL