Natalia Osipova/Sergei Polunin Appearances

Osipova and Polunin are now being advertised as dancing at the World Trade Centre in Dubai on the 8th and 9th April 2016. The programme is said to include part of Paquita. and they are described as being from the Royal Ballet.

Edited by capybara

I see that for the Dubai programme they are (prominently) billed as 'Principal Dancers of the Roayl Opera House', which is obviously inaccurate in two respects. Maybe it has been cleared with the Royal (or Roayl) Opera House/Ballet for Polunin to be billed in this way. But much as I love both of these dancers, I have to say that I'm beginning to feel quite uncomfortable with (and sad about) how they are managing/promoting themselves.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 8

I could not agree with you more Birdiem.

I read recently that Polunin will be paid EUR210,000 for 20 performances... Not sure where but poss in Europe. So I guess if that it is the sort of money they can command they'll take all they can get. I don't like this side to them either and it inclines me to go and see other dancers instead, apart from the fact they err toward modern dance as well....

• Like 1

Well, Osipova is free to do as she likes after 29 March as she has no other commitments to the RB for the rest of the season (unless she has to rehearse for the tour to Japan). I assume that her contract with the RB was specially negotiated to allow her considerable freedom to guest and that her salary was adjusted accordingly. There seems to be an increasing tendency for dancers at many companies to spend a considerable amount of time away from their home companies, sometimes by way of a guest principal contract for a season involving multiple performances in several ballets. That is the price you have to pay to keep your 'star' dancers and it can present problems with scheduling rehearsals and if there are injuries in the home company. As Polunin is apparently freelance now he has to accept whatever comes up (within reason) as he has no company salary to fall back on.

I don't want to stir up another Osipova/Polunin storm but I really don't see a big problem here. They seem to be very keen to dance together and are only doing what most other ballet stars do which is to accept invitations to appear in galas. And if some dancers are able to command large fees why should we begrudge them that? As for calling Polunin a Principal of the Royal Opera House, perhaps one could stretch a point: after all Bill Clinton is still sometimes referred to as President Clinton – though maybe that's not a very good analogy!

• Like 11

I could not agree with you more Birdiem.

I read recently that Polunin will be paid EUR210,000 for 20 performances... Not sure where but poss in Europe. So I guess if that it is the sort of money they can command they'll take all they can get. I don't like this side to them either and it inclines me to go and see other dancers instead, apart from the fact they err toward modern dance as well....

It will be in Siberia that he is paid that much for a 'Maximum of' 20 performances in 2016.

I don't want to stir up another Osipova/Polunin storm but I really don't see a big problem here. They seem to be very keen to dance together and are only doing what most other ballet stars do which is to accept invitations to appear in galas. And if some dancers are able to command large fees why should we begrudge them that? As for calling Polunin a Principal of the Royal Opera House, perhaps one could stretch a point: after all Bill Clinton is still sometimes referred to as President Clinton – though maybe that's not a very good analogy!

The issue always has been the reliability of them actually performing. Initially it was Mr Polunin who has been a bit unreliable, and recently for other reasons Osipova was also not 100% for RB performances, and to be fair to her due to reasons regarding injury.

Now the combination and the effect that some people are concerned about: CAST CHANGE Don Q Bolshoi 7th February, Polunin and Ospiova to be replaced by Kaptsova/ Chudin with less than a week to go. the website says cast change, not injury or anything, so again it will fuel rumours and speculation.

I feel rather sad, like others. Ms Osipova is wonderful, and it is sad that her amazing performances on stage are tainted by speculation, or by the uncertainty of her performances or a last minute cast change. The costs of which have been much discussed on this forum.

I also feel like others here, that such happiness and magic have a shadow now, and I hope that this can change soon.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 5

John, all American presidents keep the title for life, although it isn't often used, except perhaps at public events.

I'm all for Osipova and Polunin filling their boots while they can, but I hope it doesn't become at the expense of their artistry. And how I too would love to see him guest at the RB again!

• Like 4

I personally think that discuss about salary is really inappropriate, but since the issues was cited I find that twenty performances with titles very varied are not few, especially considering that with Polunin tickets literally evaporate; not to mention the incalculable gain in terms of publicity for the theater and for the city itself, because with all due respect, in general conception Novosibirsk is not Moscow or St. Petersburg or London...

As often it happens criticism and attention are all focused on the artists but not on theaters and on their interests

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I wonder if it's the same injury? If so, I'm glad she's giving herself time to properly recover. I've found an article which says she was injured during a rehearsal, so I'm assuming it was the Giselle one. So I guess there could have been little time to rehearse as well? Pure speculation on my part though.

Reading online now... McRae & Salenko replaced them. It seems the whole event was a fiasco with regards to seats & planning. I wonder if the cast replacement was even announced beforehand?

Polunin and Osipova were scheduled to appear in Dubai just a few days ago.  They did not, and according to the

management this was because of an injury to Osipova. Is this true?

There is no official statement, so it's just a guess.

I don't know for sure, but Sergei cancelled a performance in February because he and Natalia needed to rehearse for Sadler's Wells, so it might be that. Or maybe she wants to take the time to recover from her injury last month, and he won't dance without her.

This "event" in Dubai was very strange, from the very beginning so in this case it was smart decision to cancel the appearance in advance & to prevent the problems 

The second show was cancelled by the organisers after lots of complains during the first performance and angry comments on the website (they were removed quite quickly)

For now there is a message how to claim the refund

https://dubai.platinumlist.net/event-tickets/33529/gala-ballet-w-soloists-of-bolshoi-theatre-of-russia-in-dubai-2016?show=30992

FYI,  some deleted comments from the audience

Preeta Christian
Very badly organised. From the seating to the information provided by the organisers explaining the delay, it's absolute rubbish. Complete waste of time and money. People who bought the cheaper tickets have moved to the expensive seats that are vacant. The organisers are wearing their Magic Crowns and doing nothing. Money back please.

Preeta Christian
The show finally commenced more than an hour late. No explanation has been offered, only an apology for the delay. However, the saving grace is that the dancers are doing a great job.

Lesley Holmes · Burnley College
I cannot express how disappointed I am. The complete lack of professionalism is astounding. An hour and 10 minutes late ! No explaination . I have waited all my life to see these astounding dancers and was badly let down . Would I pay to see them again? I can catagorically say absolutely not ! So sad

Ali Al Saadi · Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Shameful. But I'll pay to see the performances again. What I won't pay for is anything organized by this joke of an events company. The dancers had no hand in this mess

Hans Smeets
Booked my holiday around it and all I get is à complete disappointment. The worst is that nobody takes responsibility for this situation. I payed dhs580/ticket while people how payed half had the same seats!!!!!!! Also rubbish!! I gave them the opportunity to refund within 24 hours otherwise legal steps will follow. Just criminals who have to be handled correspondingly.

Sahar Hassan · Almutanabi
Very bad show, and the worst organized event I have ever been to.... totally not worthy of the Bolshoi name.

After considerable delay, the show lasted for less then 90 minutes. I wasted 2000 dirham per ticket for a complete mess, and to watch hundreds of people fighting with the organizers to get their money back because of delays. People were moving all over the place, and there was no distinction between different fare seats. I was personally treated rudely and denied entry after stepping out for a few minutes, and was threatened with security for no reason.
The organizers were extremely rude, and the in-charges disappeared like cowards.
A complete disappointment. For my family and thousands of others, the Bolshoi name has been ruined for ever.
I would join a lawsuit to for a refund and compensation.

Steph Steph
Was very badly organized. Shocking seating ... And the delay?!!! No even explanation. Dancers were starting their variations upfront of music because apparently whoever was responsible for it didn't turn it on time. ??? Like seriously . People going in and out the hall without any respect to others watching . Do they know how it is in the real theater ? I guess now. Extremely bad organization. Dancers were amazing, loved everything. They'd did their best on this horrible small stage which is not even for ballet!!!!

Alex Karimov · The Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management
Very bad organization, the key artist didn't show up.

• Like 1

I see that for the Dubai programme they are (prominently) billed as 'Principal Dancers of the Roayl Opera House', which is obviously inaccurate in two respects. Maybe it has been cleared with the Royal (or Roayl) Opera House/Ballet for Polunin to be billed in this way. But much as I love both of these dancers, I have to say that I'm beginning to feel quite uncomfortable with (and sad about) how they are managing/promoting themselves.

I would guess its called mega-bucks

According to Laura Cappelle (in a tweet) Osipova and Polunin are joining the cast of Adam Donen's Symphony to a Lost Generation, "the world's first feature-length holographic theatre show", at LSO St Lukes on May 28-31. The website doesn't as yet list them amongst the performers so some other confirmation would seem to be advisable before rushing to get tickets. Also, if it's holographic would one get to see them in the flesh?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In advance of the Sadler's Wells show, both dancers have been interviewed by Judith Mackrell:

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/may/08/natalia-osipova-and-sergei-polunin-interview

I imagine that Mr Polunin's stated desire to return and guest with the Royal Ballet - "a conversation I would really like to have" - may cause some stir. 

• Like 1

According to the Evening Standard, they will not appear live; thst's where the technology comes into play; their performance was filmed in a restaurant in Willesden.

The kind of glamour we ordinary folk can only dream of :-)

From an interview with Polunin/Osipova in the Guardian in Today's Links:

"Polunin is keen to return to the Royal Ballet as a guest artist (“that is a conversation I would really like to have”)"

Yes yes yes yes YES!!! I for one would be VERY keen to have him return to the RB as a guest artist!! It would seem that bridges are being built so I hope this happens sooner rather than later.

• Like 5

From an interview with Polunin/Osipova in the Guardian in Today's Links:

"Polunin is keen to return to the Royal Ballet as a guest artist (“that is a conversation I would really like to have”)"

Is there really no such thing as a telephone or Email directly in the ballet world these days? Must everything be discussed in the media rather than directly? (referencing Kobborg/ONB) I saw Polunin at the premiere of Strapless, Kevin OHare was there too.... as he spends so much time there, wouldn't it be more dignified to knock on Mr O'Hare's door and speak to him? Especially to make amends for how things have happened, including the other comments that Polunin made in the media about Opera Houses trying to keep him and Osipova apart.

I am not sure that Kevin O'hare reading this in the Newspaper will make him run for the telephone.......sadly, .....but fairly.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 4

So.....Polunin is saying that returning to guest at the RB "is a conversation he would like to have", but a critic is saying it's a done deal for Mayerling and Marguerite?? Two very different perspectives, and I will wait for casting to come out before I get excited.

So.....Polunin is saying that returning to guest at the RB "is a conversation he would like to have", but a critic is saying it's a done deal for Mayerling and Marguerite?? Two very different perspectives, and I will wait for casting to come out before I get excited.

Which critic? Where?

You may be pleased to note that Mr. O'Hare is the guest speaker at the next meeting of the Ballet Association on the 19th May, so why not come along and ask him???