National Youth Ballet 2016

southerndancemum

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes double trouble. Ā My DD was there at the same time. Ā She hasn't done NYB before, I hear it is wonderful. Ā She just isn't used to doing new things having been at one school for five years having strict rules on what they could and couldn't doĀ  :angry:

I think they try to protect pupils but in my view they create a situation where they come out the other end not really knowing what they want to do, even if they do all the way through, there are no guarantees of a contract. They should be able to experience lots of different genres and performance opportunities, and competitions but don't get me started on that one!Ā  <_<

• Like 4

Angel my dd used to go to a sch like that !! I feel that it's good to do auditions they need to see the talent out there and realise the competition ! Let's face it whatever happens in life there is always competition ! My dd hasn't done NYB before but we have been to see their shows a couple of times and thought it good and high standard x

• Like 1

Hello, our first post and DD's first experience auditioning for NYB. She is a tiny 14 year old and has been recalled for Group C on 8th May. DD's teacher didn't seem that happy she was auditioning either?!?! Good luck to everyone for finals. How many as a percentage go through, does anybody know? Thank you so much. ????

• Like 2

My Dd is also a tiny 14 year old recalled in class C. Another friend of mine has a 15 year old who is a lovely dancer and also recalled to class C, so at least they haven't been put in with the 12 year olds because they're so tiny!

Ā 

I'd also love to know the odds of getting through the final round as we have to change our flight home from holiday to a day earlier if she makes it through ????

Edited by atacrossroads
  • Like 1

I think they try to protect pupils but in my view they create a situation where they come out the other end not really knowing what they want to do, even if they do all the way through, there are no guarantees of a contract. They should be able to experience lots of different genres and performance opportunities, and competitions but don't get me started on that one! <_<

Anyone know how many main cast get picked ? They have had quite a few auditions so am thinking nx stage is going to be difficult ! Angel my dd also not used to new things and hasn't done lots of auditions but did enjoy it . Don't think my dd will be in with much of a chance as not at full time ballet sch ! She is at MT sch doing dance course but suppose it's if you are what they are looking for ? Good luck x

Ā 

I think they try to protect pupils but in my view they create a situation where they come out the other end not really knowing what they want to do, even if they do all the way through, there are no guarantees of a contract. They should be able to experience lots of different genres and performance opportunities, and competitions but don't get me started on that one! <_<

Am sure your beautiful daughter will be fab Angel and they will grab the opportunity to have such a beautiful dancer with both hands.

Are they allowed to do any company like Phyllis Bedells. I have never asked....

Mind you, they are kept very busy...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Am sure your beautiful daughter will be fab Angel and they will grab the opportunity to have such a beautiful dancer with both hands.

Are they allowed to do any company like Phyllis Bedells. I have never asked....

Mind you, they are kept very busy...

Ā 

Sorry kiwi mum, I have only just seen this. Ā Been busy with rehab classes for youngest. Ā Thank you for your lovely comment :)Ā 

My thoughts were more to do with WL experience to be honest although the culture there seems to have changed vastly in just a couple of years. I'm positive that DD will be happily occupied now although currently waiting to hear whether she can take up a place on the Alvin Ailey Summer IntensiveĀ  :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hope it went well for all the JAs auditioning yesterday - the standard looked very high! Can I ask - does NYB have a reserve list of dancers similar to EYB if someone can't take up their place for whatever reason?

Ā 

We managed to park about five feet away from the ENB school entrance and DH just kept shaking his head and saying 'this is too good to be true...must be a catch' and looking up and down the street a lot.

Ā 

DD loved the acting - reported back at one point asked to pretend they were at a fancy dressed ball and everyone was in gowns but she had gotten the theme wrong and had turned up dressed as a tomato. She had to act 'grumpy' and be consoled.

Ā 

My DD was the tomato. They had the measure of her that's for sure.

• Like 3

We have tickets for Alvin Ailey in September at Birmingham Hippodrome. Ā Have decided that DD will go to NYB audition and see what happens. Ā Still have the opportunity to do Alvin Ailey but I can't quite justify spending that much moneyĀ  :unsure: