National Youth Ballet 2016

southerndancemum

Hi,

Just wondered in anyone else was doing the NYB auditions this year?

DD has her audition slot on 31st and is very excited about the experience.  Any pointers of tips would be appreciated.

She's done the EYB so i'm assuming the audition process will be similar to that - lots and lots of kids in rows, front row moving to the back after each exercise?

There's no "wear this" instructions, so again assuming basic leotard and socks and shoes, not tights?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Southerndancemum,

My DD will be auditioning on 31st too. It's her first time auditioning for NYB, so will be interested in any tips you get. How old is your DD? Like your DD, mine has performed with EYB before, so is quite excited to see what the NYB audition is like.

• Like 1

Hi Southerndancemum,

My DD will be auditioning on 31st too. It's her first time auditioning for NYB, so will be interested in any tips you get. How old is your DD? Like your DD, mine has performed with EYB before, so is quite excited to see what the NYB audition is like.

DD is 9 - she's in the 10am group - think we will need an early night on Sat LOL

how old is yours?

My DD now 17 did last year. A couple of differences from EYB, parents don't watch the audition and you don't find the result straight away. For both the first and second auditions the result came by post. With the result of the second, if successful you find out what dances they're in. We became expert where to kill time near the RAD HQ as there's not always space to wait there! Good luck.

• Like 2

Hi Southerndancemum,

what time is your DD in? We're on our way. So far traffic has been ok.

• Like 1

Hi Southerndancemum,

slightly worried there are two pas de chats!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if we have to wait for all the prelim audition days to finish before hearing results, or if we find out sooner, as in an audition dayat a time?

No, you don't have to wait until all auditions are over...Iast year I think we auditioned on the Sunday and got letters the following Friday ish...

• Like 1

My DD auditioned on Sunday too for a JA place. I was amazed when the postman just dropped off the letter saying that she has been recalled for finals on 1st May!!! I was not expecting such a speedy response, so impressed with NYB! DD will be thrilled when she gets home from school. A shame that it's such a long wait for finals. Anyone else with news yet? Fingers crossed for you all.

• Like 2

Thanks Southerndancemum. This is our first experience of NYB and so impressed so far. I also thought that it would be end of week earliest so was quite shocked. I would also be desperate to get home if I were in your position. I suppose this is the downside of doing results by letter rather than email, though it does take away the need to constantly refresh the inbox!!

• Like 1

LOL my ever calming Mum just pointed out to me our postie comes very late (lie 5pm late) in the day so chances of anything being there unlikely.

but it does mean DD will open the letter without me vetting it first :/

What time were you in on Sunday?  We were in at 10am. 

Is it a generic-ish letter like the one with the numbers?

sorry for 20 questions - you are my link to the answers :wacko:

We were 10am too. It is a standard letter with name and audition number hand written at the top. JA recall is 9.30am-1pm on Sun 1st Mat at ENBS. It says that casting is a complex process so there will be some waiting around on the day!!!

Keeping fingers crossed for your DD and everyone else waiting.

• Like 1

My son did NYB as a JA last year. I would guess there were about 30 of them at the finals and there were about 5 boys and 20 girls? in the JA dance but I think 4 of the boys were older and didn't audition as JA's, not sure about the girls. He loved it and is auditioning agin on the 14th Feb.

• Like 1

Agree Southerndancemum. It does seem like a long time to be there. As I understood it, there is only one JA dance. Does that mean that some of the JAs are considered for parts in other pieces at the JA audition day?? Surely the audition for one piece won't be 3.5 hours?! The letter does say that they must be PREPARED to stay until 1 pm.

• Like 1

Hi - thought I would offer a little info on the NYB auditions.  

My  DD has done NYB for the last 2 years - first time as a JA when she danced the JA ballet plus a main cast role.  Last year she was Main Cast with 2 roles.

For the JA final audition the children will take an initial ballet class again and then they'll go back into the warm up room.  They'll be called back in different smaller groupings which is when the panel will be looking at dancers who work well together, similar heights, styles, etc.They'll be taught little set pieces to see whether they suit certain roles.

You might find some dancers get called back more than others and that's just because the panel will be trying out different combinations, etc. 

The main cast final audition has 3 recall classes first (your letter will tell you which class you are recalled for), grouped throughout the morning, before all the dancers come together and get looked at and grouped by the choreographers.  Some dancers are allowed to leave early but you have to allow till 5.00 pm.

We just got our recall letter again today and DD is really excited - she loves the whole experience!

• Like 4

Thanks for this great insight dancingdays!

What about how many JAs get called to finals from first round

Hi - I guess a lot depends on how many JAs apply each year.....I don't think the ratio of recalls to places offered is too great though as I don't think they like to let the young dancers down....so majority will get through (about 30) and I would guess that only about 40 to 50 tops will be recalled.  I don't have exact percentages though.... x

It's a lovely thing to be a part of and it's extremely well organised.  Good luck at casting!