Phyllis Bedells Bursary 2016

All4dancers

The PBB is a competition open to all dancers (male/female) under 17 who have passed ADV1 and not entered ADV2. Possibility of winning upto £1000 to put towards further training. Details all on RAD website. Candidates take class in front of a panel, dance a variation (there is a choice ) and a piece of their own (choreographed by self/teacher or peer) This year taking place at the end of March.Entry fee is £73.

Entries by end of Feb. Good luck - i think it's a lovely day :D

Edited by Kat09

Does anyone know the costume protocol? I'm assuming you would wear something in line with professional performance choices for your selected variation and whatever you feel fits your solo. I noticed on RAD site that a row of dancers were wearing leotards and practice tutus. Are the practice tutus worn for the class?

Would also be interested in any insights to the day - do the dancers watch each others' variations and solos and is it generally a supportive, friendly event? Thanks.

The PBB is a competition open to all dancers (male/female) under 17 who have passed ADV1 and not entered ADV2. Possibility of winning upto £1000 to put towards further training. Details all on RAD website. Candidates take class in front of a panel, dance a variation (there is a choice ) and a piece of their own (choreographed by self/teacher or peer) This year taking place at the end of March.Entry fee is £73.

Entries by end of Feb. Good luck - i think it's a lovely day :D

Thank you I have all these details, Like Karen I was wondering about costumes and other people's experiences.

If I remember right it was a tutu skirt for the classical variation - I think you could choose a longer skirt if you were doing other variations.

The solos were not watched by the other candidates a few years ago - they entered the room one at a time to perform to the audience and panel.

It was a lovely day and a worthwhile experience :)

• Like 2

Please could any of you knowledgeable ballet lovers point me to a you tube (or similar) link to the Sleeping Beauty Diamond Fairy variation - variation 4 diamante 2/4 time G major. It's one of the PB classical rep variations and I am unsure which piece it is. Thank you very much.

Edited to say it's Act 3 no. 23.

Edited by Karen

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In case anyone's in London this weekend, there are still tickets available to watch the competition on Sunday (20th March):

https://www.rad.org.uk/events/phyllis-bedells-bursary-2016.

PS: - and I think that Belijul still has a ticket for sale on the Ticket Exchange: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/11979-for-sale-4-tickets-to-the-rad-phyllis-bedells-bursary-on-sunday-20th-rad-headquarters/

[edited for clarity and to add the info about Belijul's ticket]

Edited by Yaffa