Grade level for year 7

michelle52

Hi Michelle, my DD was doing RAD grade 6 and intermediate foundation when she auditioned. Next year my DS will be RAD grade 4 when it comes to his auditions. I don't think it matters at all. If anything it's just additional info for the panel to help them asses the potential. In my DD current year 7 in one of the Voc. Schools children were at different grades/levels.

My first dd had done grade 5  RAD - no vocational exams and only a little pointe work when she was accepted with funding.

My second dd had done grade 4 ISTD- no vocational exams and no pointe work when she was accepted with funding.

My first ds had done grade 4 RAD-no vocational exams when he was accepted with funding and my second ds had only done grade 2 ISTD when he got his funding offer.

I wouldn't worry too much about the level.

I think they are really looking for potential and that level is not that important.  I seem to remember Mary Goodhew writing theat she had once accepted a complete novice at ballet into WL .

• Like 1

My DD is auditioning this year (For year 7 next year) and is doing IF, and has started beginner pointe. But all the auditions are very basic and would be pitched for children who are at various grades. Plus the schools don't base who they offer places to on grades done, just on who they like at the auditions.

I think many get hung up on being as far through syllabus grades as possible (& dare I say it...some may be led this way by schools to pay for ever extra lessons to 'push on' at great expense) Does it help secure places? Maybe. Is it the only criteria? Absolutely not. I know of DC's who have been accepted onto top associate schemes with NO prior dance at all & also know of DC's now in Voc school who started Year 7 with just RAD grade 2 taken.

I know of DC's who have been accepted onto top associate schemes with NO prior dance at all

Bit puzzled and confused by this one, sorry!!

If they've never danced, how come that they've thought of applying? How would they/their parents even know such schemes exist? Why would it occur to them that this is what they are destined for (and have the facility/talent for)?