ROH to introduce e-ticketing

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Whatever form your ticket takes,  the new terms and conditions do not allow return-for-resale. Gift certificate is the only option if you return a ticket to box office. They can however  "... offer refunds if it is within 24 hours of the original purchase."

Yes, even so it is pretty good to be able to  transfer any returns, in effect,  into one's personal  "ballet budget account", for future use - which can be in up to 36 months time. 

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Yes, even so it is pretty good to be able to  transfer any returns, in effect,  into one's personal  "ballet budget account", for future use - which can be in up to 36 months time. 

True - assuming that I will be able to get into the country without quarrentine some time in the future.  Really wanted to see Apollo but looks like no airbridge in time. 

Edited by oncnp

24 minutes ago, oncnp said:

True - assuming that I will be able to get into the country without quarrentine some time in the future.  Really wanted to see Apollo but looks like no airbridge in time. 

Can you access the live streams, oncnp? I know it’s not quite the same but it’s better than nothing.

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Can you access the live streams, oncnp? I know it’s not quite the same but it’s better than nothing.

I have ordered all of them but not streaming  the Apollo/Daag  I wanted to see. And still have a month so something may happen yet.

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Which reminds me - I'm not sure how you access these.  I told them they could let me have credit for those of last year's tickets which I didn't donate, but couldn't see an option for using it to pay for the current tickets.

11 minutes ago, alison said:

Which reminds me - I'm not sure how you access these.  I told them they could let me have credit for those of last year's tickets which I didn't donate, but couldn't see an option for using it to pay for the current tickets.

You should have received credit certificates by email.

Just now, alison said:

I saw an option somewhere when I booked, but they said the Gift Certificate number was wrong, so I couldn't use it!

Have I understood correctly that I can return tickets at any time I wish and the money gets transferred to a Gift Certificate for future use(whether they resell them or not), or I return them within 24 hours of the performance and get a refund if they resell them? 

I haven't received answers to the 2 E- mails I sent, perhaps I should try Tom 😏

1 minute ago, Beryl H said:

I saw an option somewhere when I booked, but they said the Gift Certificate number was wrong, so I couldn't use it!

Have I understood correctly that I can return tickets at any time I wish and the money gets transferred to a Gift Certificate for future use(whether they resell them or not), or I return them within 24 hours of the performance and get a refund if they resell them? 

I haven't received answers to the 2 E- mails I sent, perhaps I should try Tom 😏

I can't imagine that they'd credit you if they couldn't resell them....but it would be great if that's what they will do🤞

28 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I can't imagine that they'd credit you if they couldn't resell them....but it would be great if that's what they will do🤞

There's no mention of reselling.  The following extract from the 'terms and conditions' makes it sound as if their new policy is similar to that of Sadler's Wells or The Barbican - i.e. you can return your tickets for credit (gift certificate) provided it's 24 hours before the performance. It seems too good to be true.  Maybe they've just left something out?

Here's what the 'terms and conditions' say:

2. TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EXCHANGE

2.1.   Tickets may only be exchanged to a ROH Gift Certificate. We are unable to exchange tickets to another ROH production.  You may exchange your tickets for a Gift Certificate up to 24 hours before the scheduled performance.

2.2.   All exchanges must be requested by email to boxoffice@roh.org.uk

2.3.   The ROH Gift Certificate will be emailed to the email address on the registered account.

2.4. – All Gift Certificates are valid for 36 months from the date of issue

2.5. - During the COVID-19 Pandemic, the return of any ticket(s) will not supersede the requirement for social distancing inside the auditorium as legislated by current Government guidelines. For this reason, only entire seating groups can be returned for sale; single tickets cannot be returned unless they were originally purchased as a single ticket.

Edited by Bluebird

I can’t help but look back fondly to the pre COVID times when you could choose your seats and sometimes get your favourites. Here’s hoping that those days return for next season. Meantime I see the socially distanced performances as something of a bonus. It must be pretty tough for Box Office/Front of House staff trying to deal with the unfamiliar, ever changing restrictions. And from my limited experience, things seem to be going reasonably well.

• Like 4

Result!!*

* unless you have to try to resell them on the day due to your local transport provider not being able to provide you with an uncracked train

Edited by Rob S

🤔 Does that mean the chance of getting a ticket at short notice  for a 'sold out' performance will be reduced now?

And is there still a fee?

Edited by Rob S

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, Rob S said:

The e-mail I received from the box office didn't mention resale. 

As per the new terms and conditions, we can now only exchange to Gift Certificate rather than resale or refund. 

and nothing about a fee but I didn't ask directly. 

Edited by oncnp

The exchange policy detailed above might, possibly, be temporary and limited to the duration of the current crisis.  I just noticed the following on the ROH website:  

Ticket refunds

We stand by our 'Book with Confidence, Exchange with Ease' pledge, as we know how important it is in current times. If you are not able to come to the theatre due to Covid-19, you can exchange your ticket or tickets for a gift certificate up to 24 hours prior to a performance.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

I do know that the ROH website used to state no refunds.....it was elsewhere that you had to find out about reselling an getting (most of) your money back that way....so is this two separate things again?

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I do know that the ROH website used to state no refunds.....it was elsewhere that you had to find out about reselling an getting (most of) your money back that way....so is this two separate things again?

It is still no refunds. Instead of the usual exchange/resale procedures, during the current situation you can only exchange for a credit certificate (provided you do it earlier than 24 hours before the performance).

12 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

It is still no refunds. Instead of the usual exchange/resale procedures, during the current situation you can only exchange for a credit certificate (provided you do it earlier than 24 hours before the performance).

My point is that depending on which part of the website you read you were left with the impression that if you had a ticket but find you couldn't go you'd lost your money.....it's listed elsewhere about the idea of reselling. So is Bluebird's second quote about the covid situation in a different place to the first quote?

Edited by Rob S

13 minutes ago, Rob S said:

So is Bluebird's second quote about the covid situation in a different place to the first quote?

The first quote comes from the "terms and conditions of sale": https://www.roh.org.uk/policies/terms-and-conditions-of-sale

To access the second quote, hover over "tickets and events" and, on the right hand sign you'll see 'returns and refunds'. Click on that and you'll find the second quote:

https://www.roh.org.uk/about/ticket-refunds

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

You should have received credit certificates by email.

I don't remember doing so.  Is that what they were calling them, "credit certificates"?  May make it easier to find any relevant emails.

8 hours ago, alison said:

I don't remember doing so.  Is that what they were calling them, "credit certificates"?  May make it easier to find any relevant emails.

The subject line in my emails about this was 'Order Confirmation'. And in fact the information in these emails was confusing and contradictory, so after querying with the Box Office they combined them all into one gift certificate with one reference number. I used that in the autumn/winter and it worked fine.

9 hours ago, alison said:

Search for messages from 'esales@roh.org.uk' with the subject line 'Order Confirmation' . 

These messages detail your original purchase(s) under the heading 'Tickets' .

Below this, under the heading 'Gift Certificates,' you'll find your 'Redemption Code'.

edit: apologies for the duplication.  I wrote this before seeing bridiem's post above.

Edited by Bluebird

I went into my account last night.  From what I can see, it looks as though they actually refunded all my tickets, which is not what I asked them to do :(.  Perhaps my splitting my instructions confused them.  Anyway, I don't think I have a record any longer of what I did ask for!

I  have also received the following, regarding printed tickets....clearly a few of these issues are still bedding in, but it is good that they are listening to customers' feedback!

You are right, the video says we are only accepting tickets shown on smart phones, but due to customer feedback we have changed our covid protocol and are accepting tickets that customers have printed at home.

If you are unable to print your tickets, when you arrive for a performance you will be able to collect a slip with your seat number on it at the box office, which the ushers will accept as your ticket.

We have adopted a 'digital first' approach and for the foreseeable future we will not be printing or sending actual paper tickets. The 'sent tickets' you refer to are all e-tickets that customers access via email or through their ROH account.
The Box Office team have all been working from home, but once we are back in the building for the new season, this may change.
We hugely value any feedback we receive so that we can continue to evolve in order to provide the best experience as possible for our customers. We very much appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate the remaining months of social distancing.
Kind regards,
Malini
Box Office Assistant
Visitor Experience - Box Office
Royal Opera House
Covent Garden, London WC2E 9DD
Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 5

Guess what, I have also received replies to my E-mails from Tom today, and I can pick up the tickets from the Box Office (good to know it will be open again), I can't provide a printout of the E-mails though, but the reference number is usually enough.

The other problem which I didn't E-mail about, not having an NHS app/smart phone means I can't access the other details, but I have seen somewhere that I can give this information at the Box Office, I think it's just address and phone/E-mail which they have anyway.

If anyone wants to print their tickets but is struggling with their printer your local library usually have printers at a reasonable cost (10p for a black and white print where I live). All you have to do is login to one of their computers, and print from your email. Just check beforehand you don't need to book a computer. 

• Like 1

Can anybody tell me how you can view what you have booked already from the ROH website. 
When you go into the menu the word ‘account’ isn’t there. So even if I wanted to I would not be able to show my one e ticket as I can’t find it 😩 

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Can anybody tell me how you can view what you have booked already from the ROH website. 
When you go into the menu the word ‘account’ isn’t there. So even if I wanted to I would not be able to show my one e ticket as I can’t find it 😩 

"Sign in" , or tapping the little figure top right if already signed in, should take you to your account details, then select  "Events" top left.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard LH said:

"Sign in" , or tapping the little figure top right if already signed in, should take you to your account details, then select  "Events" top left.

The one that looks like a ludo piece!

30 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

If anyone wants to print their tickets but is struggling with their printer your local library usually have printers at a reasonable cost (10p for a black and white print where I live). All you have to do is login to one of their computers, and print from your email. Just check beforehand you don't need to book a computer. 

Which is fine, assuming that your library is open and allowing access to the computers.  Not all are - and those that are definitely require you to book in advance, at least they do where I live.